Neutral - Man Shoots Gas Thief - Rudy, AR

This is a discussion on Neutral - Man Shoots Gas Thief - Rudy, AR within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner in Rudy, Ark., shoots man stealing gas | KSPR News | Local News RUDY, Ark. (AP) - With prices nearing $4 a gallon, sheriff's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutral - Man Shoots Gas Thief - Rudy, AR

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Neutral - Man Shoots Gas Thief - Rudy, AR

Homeowner in Rudy, Ark., shoots man stealing gas | KSPR News | Local News

RUDY, Ark. (AP) - With prices nearing $4 a gallon, sheriff's deputies say Mark Holsted wanted to steal some gasoline from an unsuspecting resident of Crawford County.

However, that high price likely kept a homeowner armed with a 9mm pistol alert as well.

Deputies say an unidentified homeowner shot Holsted in the arm and thigh late Sunday night after spotting him stealing gas from a car parked outside a home in Rudy. Officers say Holsted was armed with a rifle at the time of the shooting and had an accomplice and a getaway driver.

Holsted was listed in stable condition at a Fort Smith hospital Monday. Deputies say he'll face charges once he is released from the hospital's care.

The AAA said the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in nearby Fort Smith on Monday was $3.81.
    The story doesn't say where the homeowner was when he noticed what was going on, but if inside the house he should have stayed there, taken pictures for the police, and been a good witness. If outside and he came across this, and noticed that Holsted was armed, then he was clearly justified in defending himself.

I
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The story doesn't say where the homeowner was when he noticed what was going on, but if inside the house he should have stayed there, taken pictures for the police, and been a good witness.
    That might be standard procedure in Ct, but it sure ain't here.

No way am I letting someone steal me blind. Its my property, I have every right to be there. If I walk out there and confront him, that's his problem, not mine.

Showing up on private property with the intent to steal, is one thing. Showing up ARMED and doing it escalates the situation.

Notice that they didn't charge the homeowner but they did charge the thief. Has this happened in CT, the homeowner would be in jail and the police chief would have made a public statement that homeowners should dial 911 and play chicken while they wait for the cops to bail them out.

A law was passed earlier in the year that extends defense of home to "curtilage". I'd be willing to bet that that includes your car sitting at your house.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wonder if they caught the accomplice/driver?

Yea, if you come around here in the middle of the night and are stealing stuff or doing something your not supposed to you just might get some lead. The person could have been long gone before the police got there.

If you want gas, go get a job and buy some yourself, don't go looking to steal it you might get more than gas.

I say, good for the homeowner, and I hope the BG gets some jail time.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I'm all for protecting what is mine. If you need gas and you're in such a tight fix for gas, knock on my door and we can talk it over. My fence needs replacing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Wow! That's just up the road a piece from me! Fortner's gun shop is in Rudy---I wonder if it was near that place? I'll have to check into this some more. I worked all day today and yesterday so I'm a little out of touch with the current news. Interesting though.

Way too little info overall... sounds a bit over-the-top at first glance (I can't see myself shooting somebody over petty property), but we don't know the full story.

Punks rob garages around here all the time (we've been cleaned out twice). I would not sit by and watch them steal me blind... from personal experience, I can say that in Tucson being a good witness generally means absolutely nothing [I got my car back after they destroyed it joy-riding. The police officer -- a very nice, candid guy -- actually chuckled when I asked about the chances of catching them and recovering the car].

So if I'm in a situation like that, I'd probably tell him not-so-nicely to exit stage right promptly. And if Holmsted showed rifle, then shooting him was definitely the right choice.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Way too little info overall... sounds a bit over-the-top at first glance (I can't see myself shooting somebody over petty property), but we don't know the full story.

Punks rob garages around here all the time (we've been cleaned out twice). I would not sit by and watch them steal me blind... from personal experience, I can say that in Tucson being a good witness generally means absolutely nothing [I got my car back after they destroyed it joy-riding. The police officer -- a very nice, candid guy -- actually chuckled when I asked about the chances of catching them and recovering the car].

So if I'm in a situation like that, I'd probably tell him not-so-nicely to exit stage right promptly. And if Holmsted showed rifle, then shooting him was definitely the right choice.
    It costs me $100 to fill up my tank, maybe you can send me some of your extra petty cash
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Let me just say one thing. A locking gas cap would have avoided all that, but maybe a future criminal has gotten a second chance at life and an opportunity to change his ways. Likely the thief's decision to carry a weapon was all that was needed to get himself shot, and he's lucky to be alive. I live in this area, and frankly hope this gets some more media attention and more of a message out to any other would be gas thieves. Around the house lately, I've been toting the lightweight 10/22 with HPs along with my EDC. We're sort of isolated here, and folks might think an easy target. Looks can be deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Let me just say one thing. A locking gas cap would have avoided all that, but maybe a future criminal has gotten a second chance at life and an opportunity to change his ways.....

We're sort of isolated here, and folks might think an easy target. Looks can be deceiving.
    Not any more. they are now drilling holes in gas tanks, so that 100.00 worth of gas cost you 300 - 500 to get the damage repaired.....

============================================

Mechanics, police say gas theft changing with times
    By JEFF KAROUB
    AP Business Writer

Posted: May. 27, 2008
    Updated: May. 29, 2008

DETROIT — Dale Fortin is getting a new kind of customer at his Detroit auto repair shop, customers who have not just been in a fender-bender or had a windshield smashed by a rock.

The soaring price of crude oil has turned gas tanks into a cache of valuable booty, and Fortin has replaced several tanks punctured or drilled by thieves thirsting for the nearly $4-a-gallon fuel inside.

"That's the new fad," said the co-owner of Dearborn Auto Tech in Detroit. "I'd never seen it before gas got up this high."

While gas station drive-offs and siphoning are far more common methods of stealing gas, reports of tank and line puncturing are starting to trickle into police departments and repair shops across the country.

Some veteran mechanics and law enforcement officers say it's an unwelcome return of a crime they first saw during the Middle East oil embargo of the early 1970s.

Gasoline prices surged just before the long Memorial Day holiday weekend and crept a hair higher overnight Monday to a new record national average $3.937 for a gallon of regular, according to a survey of stations by AAA and the Oil Price Information Service.

Given their height, Fortin said pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles are more vulnerable to the thieves who puncture the tanks and use a container to catch the fuel.

Plastic tanks are typically the target, he said, since there is less chance of a catastrophic spark, and they are easier to drill into.

A design change may also be contributing to the preference for a drill rather than a syphoning hose. The tanks in many vehicles now have check balls, which prevent spills in a rollover accident. They also make siphoning more difficult.

In recent weeks, police in Denver arrested two suspects in connection with about a dozen cases of damaging tanks and stealing gas.

Denver Police Det. John White sees this "new way of siphoning gas" as a bigger problem.

"What made this particular method so dangerous and concerning for us was the way in which they were doing it - using cordless drills to puncture holes in these tanks," he said of the rash of cases his department has investigated this spring. "The heat, friction generated could have easily sparked a fire. It just made for a dangerous situation for the suspects and the community."

Tank puncturing has yet to reach the radar screens of law enforcement organizations such as the National Sheriffs' Association, or the Automotive Service Association, a group that represents independent garage operators.

Still, at least one insurance company has taken notice: AAA Mid-Atlantic issued a press release earlier this month that cited a case in April in Bethesda, Md., involving a thief who broke the fuel line underneath a car and sapped five gallons of gas. Montgomery County police said a bus in the same parking lot had 30 gallons of diesel stolen.

"These are crimes of opportunity," said AAA spokeswoman Catherine Rossi. "Right now, some people think that stealing gas is a way to get rich quick. It becomes a question of whether you're leaving yourself open to the possibility that someone can get to your car without being seen."

The cost of replacing a metal tank on passenger vehicles is between $300 and $400, and the plastic tank common on newer vehicles would be at least $500.

Bruce Burnham said thieves have hit the Budget Truck Rental business he owns in Shreveport, La., about a half-dozen times in the past three years. The thefts started shortly after Hurricane Katrina when prices spiked, then stopped for a while, then restarted about a year ago.

In some cases the gas lines have been cut; in others, gas has been pumped out. He figures he's lost at least a few thousand dollars in stolen fuel, repair costs and loss of rental fees.

Burnham said he has taken "extra measures to protect the vehicles," but declined to elaborate.

Gas and diesel aren't the only fuels being plundered. Restaurants from Berkeley, Calif., to Sedgwick, Kan., are reporting thefts of old cooking oil worth thousands of dollars. Cooking oil rustlers refine it into barrels of biofuel in backyard stills. Biodiesel can also be blended with petroleum diesel, and blends of the alternative fuel are now sold at 1,400 gas stations across the country.

Still, the theft of regular unleaded gasoline - the kind that leaves everyday drivers high and dry - is on the minds of more law enforcement agencies as prices rise.

Troy Police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck said his suburban Detroit department this month received a report of a stored motor home whose tank was siphoned and drained of 50 gallons of gas. They also had several incidents last year in industrial parks where the gas tanks of vehicles were punctured.

"Gas is liquid gold these days, and has been for the last year-and-a-half," Scherlinck said. "I would anticipate seeing more of these kinds of incidents as the price continues to go up."
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Cordless drill in hand--in the dark----looks like a weapon to me. Someone under my vehicle is going to be at a severe disadvantage if I catch them. If they are real stealthy, I may not notice and end up driving over them.

Senior Moderator
    A match ought to do the trick.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Someone siphoned gas out of my Jeep about a week ago. I noticed the needle was down a little further than it should be, then my check engine light went on because the gas cap was off.

I always park in my garage at home, but this was while I was out shopping.

I estimate it was only about a gallon, so I don't think it's worth shooting someone over $4 of gas.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Senior Moderator
    I estimate it was only about a gallon, so I don't think it's worth shooting someone over $4 of gas.
    Unless you get stuck out in the desert with no gas or water because you thought you had enough to make it....

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    IMO death is an occupational hazard of being a criminal. Too bad the BG survived to waste taxpayer dollars at trial.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

A thief is a thief is a thief,In Texas you come on property after dark and try to steal anything you may end up dead.That same guy you shoo off you're property is just gonna go hit somebody else but that's really hard to do if ya got a coupla bullets in you,besides if you're stealing gas what next robbing little old ladies for their purses
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links