VERY UGLY: Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle (TN)

This is a discussion on VERY UGLY: Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle (TN) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle - News Story - WSMV Nashville Authorities Conduct Massive Search For Suspect MONTEAGLE, Tenn. -- A Grundy County sheriff's ...

Thread: VERY UGLY: Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle (TN)

VERY UGLY: Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle (TN)

Deputy Killed, Officer Injured Near Monteagle - News Story - WSMV Nashville

Authorities Conduct Massive Search For Suspect

MONTEAGLE, Tenn. -- A Grundy County sheriff's deputy who recently graduated from the state police academy in Nashville was shot and killed while serving a search warrant on Thursday morning.

One-hundred police officers and 25 agencies were searching for Kermit Eugene Bryson, 30, the accused shooter.

The slain deputy, Shane Tate, 28 was the father of five young children.

Tate was a three-year employee of the Grundy County Sheriff's Office and had been on patrol for less than a year.

"He was a good police officer. He was young, energetic, worked hard and wanted to catch the bad guys," said Grundy County Mayor Ladue Bouldin. "With God's blessing, they will catch this criminal."

A Monteagle reserve officer, Brian Malhoit, 26, also suffered injuries after a bullet grazed his side. Those injuries were not life-threatening.

Malhoit was being treated at Sewanee Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. A reserve officer with the Grundy County Sheriff's Office was also at the scene but was not injured.

The officers were serving a warrant for probation violation when they were shot before dawn, said Steve Strain, an assistant district attorney general.

Bryson was considered armed and dangerous. Authorities believe he is on foot around Monteagle, a town of 1,200 people along Interstate 24 about 35 miles northwest of Chattanooga.

"We do have a good geography of where we believe he might be, however that can always change. Things are very fluid with this situation right now. We are doing what we can to find out if he has become mobile," said TBI spokeswoman Kristin Helm.

Bryson was named to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's 10 Most Wanted.

"I think people need to be concerned," Strain said. "He shot a police officer and shot at another police officer."

Bryson was described as a white man, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 130 pounds, with green eyes and several tattoos. His criminal record includes convictions for theft, burglary and a jail escape in 2001.

Authorities have been searching for Bryson for eight months prior to Thursday morning's raid. Authorities said it was possibly that Bryson took the deputy's gun after the shooting.

Bryson's former mother-in-law, Marcia Crowe, said she was surprised to learn he was wanted in a slaying. Bryson was married to her daughter for about a year before they divorced several years ago.

"I saw it on TV and I just couldn't believe it," Crowe, a 57-year-old from Dayton, said in a phone interview. "I expected him to steal, do dope and stuff like that, but I never thought he would kill someone."

Crowe said her daughter and Bryson have a 10-year-old daughter.

"He was kind and sweet to his child," she said.

Federal agents and local SWAT teams were on the scene Thursday morning with tracking dogs and helicopters. Officers wore bulletproof vests and carried rifles.

The area where police are searching is rugged, mountainous terrain at the southern end of the Cumberland Plateau.

Probation officials said the warrant the officers were trying to serve was issued because Bryson failed drug screens and violated curfew while on probation for a 2007 felony marijuana possession charge.

Strain said authorities often serve arrest warrants early in the morning because they expect suspects to be asleep.

Bryson was enrolled in a community corrections program, which the probation officials described as more intensive than state probation and required him to meet with his probation officer twice a month.

If anyone has information on Bryson's whereabouts, they should call 1-800-TBI-FIND or the Grundy County Sherriff's Office at 931-924-2077.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

This dirtbag's days are numbered...guaranteed, and rightly so!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yup. I'd color this one almost done.

How terrible for the family of the officer.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Absolutely horrible. I hope the LEO's take good care of him.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I foresee this statement in the news. Similar to a Florida manhunt awhile back.

Reporter - "Why did you shoot the BG 50 times?"

LEO - "had to stop 'cause we ran out of bullets!"

The cop killer committed suicide in his girlfriends backyard. Just saw that on the news this morning.

Of course he was on probation. I wonder who we have to have to thank for this.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Another one bites the dust but it cost us way to much with the loss of a LEO ........my prayers for his family and fellow officers.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

The funeral is tomorrow - that is what the Chattanooga news is reporting. Sad. I am curious as to why they went in a 3am to serve the warrant? They said it is a surprise tactic. But do you think if someone comes busting in a 3am there is a better chance of getting shot? I am not attempting to justify this shooting of a cop serving a warrant - but maybe it startled the shooter. But I recall another shooting in GA where the LEOs busted through the wrong house - the elderly woman started firing - LEOs fired back killing the elderly woman. It is just a shame that 5 children do not have a daddy (the LEO) when maybe another tactic might have worked better and prevented his loss of life. I know it is easy to quarterback this from the computer.

VIP Member
    The Associated Press: Suspect in Tennessee deputy's fatal shooting dies

Suspect in Tennessee deputy's fatal shooting dies

By BILL POOVEY 1 day ago

MONTEAGLE, Tenn. (AP) A man suspected of killing a sheriff's deputy and wounding another officer has died after authorities say he shot himself at the end of a daylong manhunt, a hospital supervisor said.

Kermit Bryson died Friday around 12:30 a.m. at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, house supervisor David Trillet said.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation director Mark Gwyn said agents found Bryson behind his girlfriend's house Thursday evening and negotiated with him for about 20 minutes before he shot himself in the head.

Federal, state and local authorities launched a manhunt for Bryson after the Thursday morning shooting death of Grundy County sheriff's deputy Shane Tate, 28.

Gwyn said officers did not fire any shots during the negotiations in Monteagle, a town of 1,200 people along Interstate 24 about 35 miles northwest of Chattanooga.

"We gave it the best effort we could," Gwyn said.

Tate died at a mobile home where he was trying to take Bryson into custody on a probation violation warrant.

Officers had been looking for Bryson for six to eight months when they found him around 3 a.m. Thursday at a mobile home in Monteagle.

Shots were fired and Tate died at the scene, Gwyn said.

Monteagle Police Officer Brian Malhoit was grazed by a bullet but not seriously hurt. A reserve deputy also at the scene wasn't injured.

Gwyn said there were other people in the home at the time of the shooting, although he declined to identify them.

Within hours of the shooting, armed officers were using dogs and helicopters to comb the rugged area at the southern end of the Cumberland Plateau in what TBI spokeswoman Kristin Helm described as "an absolute all-out manhunt."

A neighbor and longtime friend of Bryson's said shooting someone would be out of character for him.

"He's not a bad guy. He had to freak out in some way," said Tim D. Sanders, 30, before authorities found Bryson.

Sanders said he and Bryson spent weekends in jail together last summer and that the slain deputy was the jailer. He said Tate and Bryson were friendly.

Bryson's criminal record includes convictions for theft, burglary and a jail escape in 2001.

Grundy County Mayor Ladue Bouldin said Tate was married with five young children and had graduated from Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy just two weeks ago.

Probation officials said the warrant was issued for Bryson because he failed drug screens and violated curfew while on probation for a 2007 felony marijuana possession charge.

Helm said the three officers approached Bryson's mobile home carefully and made their way inside. Officers often serve warrants early in the morning, expecting that suspects will be asleep.

"The officer was actually shot inside the residence," she said.

Bryson's former mother-in-law, Marcia Crowe, said Bryson was married to her daughter for about a year before they divorced several years ago, and they have a 10-year-old daughter.

"I saw it on TV and I just couldn't believe it," Crowe, a 57-year-old from Dayton, said in a phone interview Thursday. "I expected him to steal, do dope and stuff like that, but I never thought he would kill someone."

Brian Grisham, director of the training academy, called Tate a good officer and person.

"He seemed enthusiastic about what he was about to do," Grisham said.

Associated Press writer Lucas L. Johnson II in Nashville contributed to this story.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Links