BAD: Felon Makes 6-yo Child Pose w/ Revolver

This is a discussion on BAD: Felon Makes 6-yo Child Pose w/ Revolver within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested - News Story - WFTV Orlando Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested PALM BAY, Fla. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested

PALM BAY, Fla. -- A convicted felon was arrested in Palm Bay after allegedly putting a gun in a 6-year-old child's hands and forcing her to pose for pictures.

Investigators said 30-year-old Toby Allen took the disturbing photos on a cell phone. They finally tracked him down at a house in Palm Bay on Tucson Street (see map), where they arrested Allen and one of his roommates, 26-year-old Paul Rosaci.

Her face is blocked out to protect her identity, but police said it's a 6-year-old girl in the flower print shirt holding a handgun that seems disturbingly large for her small hands. In a second picture, she's pointing the same gun right at the camera with her finger on the trigger.

"It's alarming to us that we had such a young child brandishing a handgun," said Det. Steve Hill, Palm Bay Police Department.

Investigators with the Palm Bay Police Department and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said Allen took the photos, including two more of himself holding an SKS assault rifle. Detectives said the pictures came from a cell phone stolen from the owner of a local landscaping company where Allen recently worked.

The owner of the company was able to recover some of his stolen property, including the phone and contacted officers when he discovered the photos. By examining the background in the photos, police determined they were taken at the home on Tucson Street where officers arrested Allen Friday.

A man who still lives there talked to Eyewitness News about the photos Friday.

"I thought they were outrageous. I don't know why he did it," the unidentified man said. "I asked him what the hell he was thinking."

Police said the photos aren't enough to charge Allen with child endangerment, but they said the girl is safe and Allen, who has a long criminal history, is charged with being a felon in possession of a weapon.

"He indicated he thought it looked funny. He thought it looked cool," said Randy Holliday, Brevard county Sheriff's Office.

Police said they are not identifying the girl in the pictures or her relationship to Allen.

Not very good publicity -- and Drudge is carrying the story with the photo displayed on his page. Folks sometimes have trouble recognizing that there's a difference between responsible, law-abiding citizens and felons, even (gasp!) when both own handguns.

They don't say how police were made aware of the pictures in the first place, nor is there any mention of the ownership or origin of the guns in question.
    Last edited by biasedbulldog; June 6th, 2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Info added
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Kudos to the police. Personally, I hope they track down the owner. That is why the public is frightened so...the ease of accessability.

Rick

Wow they need to castrate these people so they can't bear children,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is not such a big deal. I have seen quite a few pictures and video's of very young children with guns.

I have seen quite a few pics of kids with guns. I am curious as to why this particular guy was arrested. I agree it's wrong, but there are pictures all over the internet like this, heck I seem to remember someone on this site who has their avatar picture of a minor holding their gun. Personally I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't let my kids do it, but I am wondering why this particular one was prosecuted.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Administrator
    This guy was arrested because he was a felon in possession of a firearm.

Well, in many cultures very young children work deftly and safely with machetes.

Some other cultures (who shall go unmentioned) are teaching their children as young as 4 and 5 to operate AK47s.

I first started shooting under adult supervision at a very early age.

This particular person just sounds like he was a scumbag.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I have seen quite a few pics of kids with guns. I am curious as to why this particular guy was arrested...Personally I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't let my kids do it, but I am wondering why this particular one was prosecuted.
    The keyword answer to your question is the word "felon".

Felons are _not_ allowed by all states and federal law to own, possess, nor have access to a firearm.
    The only exception are blackpowder rifles and shotguns.
    Even in some states felons in possession of an air gun (BB/Pellet) is disallowed.

He was arrested and will be convicted for parole violation. And if he's not on parole conviction will still stick because felons as a function of conviction lose their 2A rights along with the right to vote, for life.

This is one of many reasons why it is absolutely critical to never ever get caught up in a major crime that can be interpreted by a given state, never mind the feds, as a felony.
    Once you get the label of 'felon' it sticks for life and is unshakable no matter where you might move thereafter.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested - News Story - WFTV Orlando

They don't say how police were made aware of the pictures in the first place, nor is there any mention of the ownership or origin of the guns in question.
    Actually, they did say how they became aware...

Photos Of 6-Year-Old Holding Handgun Gets Felon Arrested

PALM BAY, Fla. -- A convicted felon was arrested in Palm Bay after allegedly putting a gun in a 6-year-old child's hands and forcing her to pose for pictures.

Investigators with the Palm Bay Police Department and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said Allen took the photos, including two more of himself holding an SKS assault rifle. Detectives said the pictures came from a cell phone stolen from the owner of a local landscaping company where Allen recently worked.

The owner of the company was able to recover some of his stolen property, including the phone and contacted officers when he discovered the photos.
    By examining the background in the photos, police determined they were taken at the home on Tucson Street where officers arrested Allen Friday.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Anyone else notice the absence of ammunition? Probably why there was no charge of "child endangerment".

Still good that this idiot is off the streets again and unarmed.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Actually, they did say how they became aware...
    Hmm, yeah, misread that part. Thought that after they arrested him for the handgun crime, they recovered the stolen goods.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Actually if I'm correct a felony does not bar you from firearm posession for life just handguns,as far as non-violent felonies the defendant can petition the court after I believe 5 years from date of release from parole or whatever to be allowed to posess a shotgun or rifle for hunting.Anybody with actual case law may jump in and correct me where i'm wrong
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Duk,

It's generally referred to as the 'Felon in possession' law and at the Fed level it restricts possession of a "firearm" (not singularly a handgun) and ammunition as well.

More info can be found under the following...

18 U.S.C. 922(g)
    Unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms
    ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

and

Sec. 478.32
    Prohibited shipment, transportation, possession, or receipt of firearms and ammunition by certain persons
    PART 478--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

These are Federal law which are above and beyond that of state law, to which most every state follows or has adopted as law within.
    Felons and/or those who "has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year" may not own, posses, or have access to a firearm period...in their lifetime following conviction of said felony.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    The state of Florida also bars felons from possessing firearms.

Since he was clever enough to do this in Florida, he's looking at a 3 year minimum, mandatory sentence.

Duk:

There are various mechanisms by which a felon can seek to have their right to own a firearm restored. The procedure varies from state to state.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I have seen quite a few pics of kids with guns. I am curious as to why this particular guy was arrested. I agree it's wrong, but there are pictures all over the internet like this, heck I seem to remember someone on this site who has their avatar picture of a minor holding their gun. Personally I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't let my kids do it, but I am wondering why this particular one was prosecuted.
    i think there is a BIG difference between an avatar here showing proper supervision (of a non felon) and safety(the one I have seen), and this one with the firearm pointed at the camera, and finger on the trigger.
    I do not see a problem with teaching children gun safety at a young age...every hear..."curiosity killed the cat?" teach them eddie the eagles stuff...show them firearms...even let them handle them with supervision...why keep them a secret? teach them that they are not bad things like the media tells them everyday...think children don't listen?...they get this message everywhere.
    Proper parental supervision, precautions (locking guns up when not present), and education is what children need.
    This guy in the story is a FELON. he lost his rights to even hold a firearm...which is possession. I am sure there were no charges regarding the child picture, just a way for the media to get the story spread...and it worked.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The laws allow felons to regain their gun rights under certain conditions, but the ATF has been fighting it. This probably varies by ATF District, or who is in charge of the District. Note the mess Red's Trading Post is in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links