UGLY: Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow

This is a discussion on UGLY: Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Barrow Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow - News Story - WSB Atlanta BETHLEHEM, Ga. -- After an argument over rent a Barrow County ...

Thread: UGLY: Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow

UGLY: Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow

Police: Barrow Man Shoots, Kills Mother With Crossbow - News Story - WSB Atlanta

BETHLEHEM, Ga. -- After an argument over rent a Barrow County man shot and killed his mother Friday with a crossbow, according to the Barrow County Sheriff's Office.

Rodney Thompson, 39, shot his mother in their family home in the Bethlehem community, officials said. "He shot my mom with a bow and arrow in her back while she was sleeping," the victim's daughter, Nicole Thompson, told WSB-TV Channel 2.

Officers found the victim, Marjorie Lynch, 64, at the house at 102 Carterdale Court about 9 a.m. Thursday, said Barrow County Sheriff's Captain Murray Kogod. She was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital where she died.

"The son had shot her with this bow and she managed to get herself to the telephone. She called and stated that she believed it was a knife that her son had taken and stabbed her," Chief Dep. Murray Kogod with the Barrow County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities said they believe it is a case of premeditated murder. Officials said even though Thompson doesn't hunt, he bought a compound crossbow recently.

Thompson was angry that his mother wanted him to pay $300 a month in rent, according to family members. He is charged with malice murder, felony murder and aggravated assault.

The crossbow used in the alleged attack was taken into custody by investigators and is being held as evidence.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

He's going to get 'free rent' now...with a 'long term' lease...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    must have been one of those "assault crossbows" that we are told to live in fear of. You know, the long black ones, with pistol grip?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Yeah, he'll be getting "free" rent now, eh? Free. Right. "Free" will be all the companionship he'll be getting at odd hours. My he truly dislike what he's about to receive.

Malice murder, felony murder, and aggravated assault.
    That about covers it. Shot mom and left her to die, and he let it be painful and protracted. He'll likely utter the dishonorable response: "Not guilty, your honor," knowing full well he did it, that mom fingered the attacker and reasoning, and that they caught him cold.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm sure he was just a poor misunderstood child that felt like his momma should support him for the rest of his life,anybody 39 living at home with momma and not paying rent gets the big LOSER award,then when she puts her foot down pay rent or get out he decides to kill her for doing what parents are suppose to do.I think they ooghta just hang him after the trial,no more long terms for these guys we need to get back to the old ways of if theres no question the guy did it then upon a death sentence carry it out post haste
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think they ooghta just hang him after the trial,no more long terms for these guys we need to get back to the old ways of if theres no question the guy did it then upon a death sentence carry it out post haste
    Of course, such things would be abused and some innocents would die, but it can hardly be worse than now.

Guillotines in the public square, anyone?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    This is totally tragic, and something that has probably been brewing for most of the family's life. When a thirty nine year old man is living at home, not paying rent, or contributing in other meaningful ways to the household, that equals some sort of big time trouble; drugs, other mental illness.

I'm all for the death penalty, but I also have to wonder if meaningful medical help might have prevented this tragedy.
    If some untreated mental illness such as paranoid schizophrenia had a role, I would prefer to lock him away but not in a punitive manner. Deal with him like Hinckley (sp?)--the guy who tried to shoot Reagan.

I'd really like to know what the mother might have done (probably plenty) to get her son help, and whether or not it was unavailable or not taken advantage of---but, that could be the illness.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    He'll likely utter the dishonorable response: "Not guilty, your honor," knowing full well he did it
    Isn't that the truth. I can't think of a better word than dishonorable to describe the phrase that initiates probably 90% of trials that waste the public's money when the defendant is obviously guilty. Right to trial? Absolutely. Taking responsibility for one's actions and accepting the consequences when caught is something criminals or defense attorneys will never do.

VIP Member

Interesting idea, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Isn't that the truth. I can't think of a better word than dishonorable to describe the phrase that initiates probably 90% of trials that waste the public's money when the defendant is obviously guilty. Right to trial? Absolutely. Taking responsibility for one's actions and accepting the consequences when caught is something criminals or defense attorneys will never do.
    Perhaps instead of perpetuating this "dishonorable" phrase we should instead stop the practice of plea agreements and pleas of any type.

Instead, the charged individual should be spared the option of entering a plea.

Let the prosecution present its case and the jury reach a verdict based on evidence presented at trial. By this I mean, the defendant does not offer a plea of any kind. A trial gets held, a judge or jury decides the result.

Yes, it would be expensive. But it would also do away with some of the railroading into pleas and overcharging that take place now.

And if the case is one which can be made, there should be no effect whatsoever on conviction rates.

After all, what's the point of asking a question "did you do it" when we know that there is a huge incentive to lie, and when we also know that even when people say "Yes, I did it," they sometimes didn't--and there is no real evidence against them.
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 7th, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: changed the word "disincentive to incentive"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is totally tragic, and something that has probably been brewing for most of the family's life. When a thirty nine year old man is living at home, not paying rent, or contributing in other meaningful ways to the household, that equals some sort of big time trouble; drugs, other mental illness.

I'm all for the death penalty, but I also have to wonder if meaningful medical help might have prevented this tragedy.
    If some untreated mental illness such as paranoid schizophrenia had a role, I would prefer to lock him away but not in a punitive manner. Deal with him like Hinckley (sp?)--the guy who tried to shoot Reagan.

I'd really like to know what the mother might have done (probably plenty) to get her son help, and whether or not it was unavailable or not taken advantage of---but, that could be the illness.

I personally don't care what kind of mental illness he might have. He killed his own mother. I say death penalty and as fast as possible. Personally I say as soon as the sentence is declared, march him straight to the chamber for the execution. Give him some chicken Mcnuggets for his last meal so he can eat them on the way, strap him down and get it over with.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    Yeah, now we're all paying his rent.

Rent him a lethal injection....on Mothers Day.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd be banned from this site if I stated what I'd do to the dirt bag.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I personally don't care what kind of mental illness he might have. He killed his own mother. I say death penalty and as fast as possible. Personally I say as soon as the sentence is declared, march him straight to the chamber for the execution. Give him some chicken Mcnuggets for his last meal so he can eat them on the way, strap him down and get it over with.
    I can see it now McDonalds on death row,which last meal would you like the #1 #2 Or we still have the happy meal if you think you will get a last minute reprieve from the governor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links