4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

This is a discussion on 4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Walmart will prolly follow suit for whatever Sams does... Sad story indeed......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

RE:

Walmart will prolly follow suit for whatever Sams does...

Sad story indeed...
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by realitycramp View Post
    Makes me sick to my stomach. Really feel for the girl and her family. All the more reason to preach safety and to teach kids not to touch them.
    ...And teach adults to take responsibility and be responsible.
    A 4 yr. old inside a shopping cart with a loaded gun in your purse is completely stupid.
    Never mind that grandma was paying no attention to the child nor keeping an eye on her purse (!) which had amongst other items of value a firearm (!) inside of it.
    Carry means carry, as in upon your person. Not near by, an arms reach from, or down the aisle in some cart.

Agreed with others, this too will be yet another check in the Brady group 'win' column for use against us all.
    This was completely avoidable and fault lies with grandma.

Sad, very sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Sad story. Nacho runs might be coming to an end soon...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My sister was considering purse carry once she got her CCW license, but I told her it might not be a good idea. This story confirms my thoughts towards purse carry. I hope that little girl makes it out ok.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Your right ElMono. I really hope the girl will be ok. The Bunch will be on this like a fat boy on a flapjack. Get your nacho runs in while you can.

If they don't press charges for negligence, she should at least get a decent pistol whipping. Terrible story.

GO HUSKERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post

"she was probably oblivious ," says Captain Thomas Dobson of the Columbia Police Department.
    That quote says it all.

With millions of people carrying, there are going to be instances of irresponsibility. When that happens, IMHO, we as a community have to be among the first to insist that the permit holder be held accountable. If we do, we lessen the ability of the antis to gain any traction over an isolated incident......no matter how tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    nother reason to "carry on person". Purse carry is never a good option.. This story will turn from bad to worst.
    Ditto, +1, etc....

Irrespective of the story itself:

1) If a 4 y/o can actuate your weapon, you aren't carrying a weapon, but a dangerous toy.

2) It's a life-style, not a talisman. We carry arms to kill, if we don't control the arms, anyone else can do so at leisure or unintentionally.

3) Sorry, but if you don't know how to use the damn gun, you shouldn't have it. "Use" is no different than the LE/Mil paradigm: carry secured, fire to terminate hostility, ready & secure again.

Actually # 4 needs to be in there: know advanced primary first-aid, and be able to apply it. We're more likely to need that than arms, statistically.

One of the bad/good things about this was that the Grandmother is a Magistrate (Judge) so I doubt that she will lose her CWP or be charged with anything. This could have been so much worse and I haven't heard for sure but the gun was either a .22 or .25 and went through the child. I realize that it was a 4 year-old but to go completly through was serious.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If she is a Magistrate she might be exempted from needing a permit in her state.

I don't know, I'm just sayin'
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

She still needs a permit but does have special priviledges

SECTION 23-31-240. Persons allowed to carry concealed weapon while on duty.

Notwithstanding any other provision contained in this article, the following persons who possess a valid permit pursuant to this article may carry a concealable weapon anywhere within this State, when carrying out the duties of their office:

(1) active Supreme Court justices;

(2) active judges of the court of appeals;

(3) active circuit court judges;

(4) active family court judges;

(5) active masters-in-equity;

(6) active probate court judges;

(7) active magistrates;
    (8) active municipal court judges;

(9) active federal judges;

(10) active administrative law judges;

(11) active solicitors and assistant solicitors; and

(12) active workers' compensation commissioners.

Yes, She is a Magistrate and did have a permit and so could have carried there in Sam's EVEN IF they chose to post later on. Ironically, her office is posted "No concealed Weapons Allowed". So this is the saving grace here is that she is perceived to be "Law Enforcement" sort of. But she, of course, did not receive the training that an LEO should have had to carry under those special "on duty" situations. I should think that SC needs to think again about that part. I think that a Magistrate or Judge, being permitted to carry on duty should receive additional training. Perhaps be put through the State Constable training program and issued a different Concealed Weapons permit.

But... the thing about this is that, for the rest of us CWP's here in SC....the fact she is a Magistrate will out weigh the permit issue. Thankfully...

The little girl is reportedly doing good. Her condition is stable and reportedly no major organs were hit.

I have had this discussion a few months back with my Son and his wife. She is currently waiting on her Permit to come. I told them both I did not like purse carry and was against it. Primarily because the gun is not completely under your control at all times. Purses get left or set down or even snatched. And then the gun is out of your control. Now I have another reason to drive this home.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I agree on purses being a bad meathod to carry. I hope they don't charge the grandmother. She will have enough to deal with for her actions of not being safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

I hope they don't charge the grandmother.
    If someone who didn't know the little girl had caused her critical harm because of their gross negligence........but they "felt really bad about it"......would you feel the same way?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Is purse snatching the most common form of theft on the street?

Long ago, a girl friend carried a knife in her purse "for self defense". It took her about 5 minutes to dig the thing out from the bottom of all the junk.

Reasonable or not, and special purses notwithstanding, I flash on that everytime I hear about women carrying in their purses. Dumb carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links