4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

This is a discussion on 4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I do not have words for this... Columbia (WLTX) -- The City of Columbia Police Department says a four-year-old girl had shot herself at a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Thumbs down 4 YO shoots self with Grannys gun: MERGED

I do not have words for this...

Columbia (WLTX) -- The City of Columbia Police Department says a four-year-old girl had shot herself at a Sam's Club in Columbia, and they say the child is now in critical condition.

Investigators say the shooting happened inside the Sam's Club on Harbison Boulevard at approximately 10:50 a.m.

According to police, the girl was being taken around the store in a shopping cart by her grandmother. Police say the grandmother had a gun in her purse.

While the grandmother was pushing the girl near the pharmacy area, officers say the little girl took the gun out of the purse and shot herself in the chest.

The girl had emergency surgery Monday afternoon. Police have been told by family members that the girl suffered no damage to her major organs.

Investigators are looking at store surveillance video to get more details of what led up to the shooting. There were also eyewitnesses.

"(It's) fairly obvious, the grandmother didn't know the child was handling a firearm. she was probably oblivious and doing her shopping," says Captain Thomas Dobson of the Columbia Police Department.

Police say the grandmother has a valid weapons permit. No charges have been filed in the case.

"It's tragic, and I think I can't reinterate (it) enough: improperly carrying, storing, or handling of firearms can result in damage and injury, and this is what we have here today."

Sam's Club was closed during the initial investigation, but the store has been re-opened.

Andrew Stoeber was one of the shoppers who arrived at the store just after the shooting took place. "

"We drove up and saw police cars....we thought maybe there was a robbery, we weren't sure what happened," Stoeber says. "It's pretty sad. I think we both(he and his wife) felt sadand it makes you wonder why a gun would be accessible to a kid."

...and Granny had a permit. I say had, I do not believe she should have it anymore. My kids have been around guns all their lives, they have not had their hands on them unsupervised, that she would leave the purse and gun within reach of the child is inexcusable!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    As bad a situation as this is, the Brady Bunch will use it as more fodder.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Next time could you please post a News Link?

Story here..

Child shoots self

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

speechless
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Makes me sick to my stomach. Really feel for the girl and her family. All the more reason to preach safety and to teach kids not to touch them.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I know sometimes a person's choice of wardrobe leaves little option of keeping a gun anywhere else but a purse, but it is much harder for someone, be it a child or BG, to get a hold of a gun while its owner is wearing it. The grandmother should have been more attentive of her purse, especially considering she had a curious child in her care.

VIP Member
    nother reason to "carry on person". Purse carry is never a good option.. This story will turn from bad to worst.

BAD - 4 year-old girl shoots self with Granny's gun in Sam's Club store

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | 4-year-old out of surgery after shooting self at Sam's Club

"COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Authorities say a four-year-old girl from Salley is recovering after she grabbed a gun out of her grandmother's purse and shot herself in the Harbison Blvd. Sam's Club Monday.

The child underwent emergency surgery Monday afternoon at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital.

Lewis says no major organs were hit by the bullet, and the child is out of surgery and in the recovery room right now. The hospital says she's in stable condition.

Investigators tell WIS News 10's Stewart Moore they believe the child was sitting in her grandmother's shopping cart when she pulled a small-caliber handgun out of her grandmother's shopping cart and accidentally shot herself in the chest.

The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras near the store's pharmacy.
    (more)"

Thanks, Granny. You not only are negligent and allow your grand daughter to shoot herself with your unattended handgun, but you totally screwed the pooch with Sam's Club for every CCW holder.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Carrying in a purse...is that considered concealed and on the person?

Have to agree... all the atta-boys destroyed by one awww shoots...

Rick

4-year-old out of surgery after shooting self at Sam's Club

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | 4-year-old out of surgery after shooting self at Sam's Club

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Authorities say a four-year-old girl from Salley is recovering after she grabbed a gun out of her grandmother's purse and shot herself in the Harbison Blvd. Sam's Club Monday.

The child underwent emergency surgery Monday afternoon at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital.

Lewis says no major organs were hit by the bullet, and the child is out of surgery and in the recovery room right now. The hospital says she's in stable condition.

Investigators tell WIS News 10's Stewart Moore they believe the child was sitting in her grandmother's shopping cart when she pulled a small-caliber handgun out of her grandmother's shopping cart and accidentally shot herself in the chest.

The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras near the store's pharmacy.

"They made an announcement that they were closing and that there was an official on the scene. No announcements to what happened," said Heath Mills, who was in the store at the time.

CPD spokesman Brick Lewis says the grandmother has not been charged with a crime, and no other injuries have been reported.

Lewis says the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a weapons permit.

Store officials say the store was closed for about an hour after the shooting.

"Everyone at Sam's Club is deeply saddened by today's tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family," said Tara Stewart, South Carolina spokesperson for Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

Stewart said as of right now they do not have a policy on concealed weapons, but after this incident, that could change.

"While we don't have a sign posted, I think everyone knows the rules and laws. We are working with police to make changes if necessary," said Stewart.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I just saw this today also and am saddened. I teach SC CWP classes and cover the different methods of carry. Purse carry is the one that I put at the bottom of the list for my students to consider and I do everything possible to discourage it.

Bad, Young girl accidently shoots self with grandmas gun

There are already anti-ccw comments being posted on this story, and Sams has stated they are reviewing their gun policy.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Grandma is responsible...no question about it...she'll have to pay the price on several levels...

Sad to hear this about a youngster...Eddie Eagle could have possibly helped.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Grandma is responsible...no question about it...she'll have to pay the price on several levels...
    I agree & i dont think granny could learn this lesson any more difficult. I just pray the little girl makes a full recovery.....
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Lewis says the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a weapons permit.
    I really hope that's "had a weapons permit".
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links