UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident - Page 2

UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident

This is a discussion on UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some guns , don't know on the Glock, require pulling the trigger to release the slide, etc. when cleaning it. That is indeed the case ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident

Some guns , don't know on the Glock, require pulling the trigger to release the slide, etc. when cleaning it.
    That is indeed the case with Glocks. In fact, that has been pointed out as an advantage the XD has over Glocks; they don't have to be "discharged" to be disassembled.

Luckily the weapon was pointed up and away.
    I hope that luck had nothing to do with it. That's exactly why you always point it in a safe direction when you pull the trigger.

When I clean my Glock, that's always the worrisome time. I check the chamber and recheck it, but there's always that little moment of trepidation when I pull the trigger.

Having the round in the chamber was bad. Having it pointed at a friend's head when pulling the trigger is inexcusable.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Negligence and common sense

HOW DO YOU CLEAN A LOADED GUN?? I hear this all the time. to me this is not an accident. You have to point the gun at someone to shoot them and this is a real no no. I can see where someone could possibly be shot if a cheap loaded gun were dropped and went off. This is a case of the lack of common sense and total negligence on the handlers part. Another pet peeve of mine is when some one is shot due to both parties are intoxicated and decide to show each other their guns. some times common sense is not used.

In response to pull the trigger to release the slide.

1. Gun should not be pointed at a person.

2. Gun would have to be racked back, so that means it is cleared.

3. Reason two fails when people clean a Glock or XD with a mag still in it. Who the hell cleans a gun with a mag still in?

4. If you don't know if your weapon is loaded or not. You don't deserve it.

also, when the media says "cleaning a gun", who knows if he was actually breaking down the gun, i.e. disassembling it, or just wiping down the slide etc...

I don't care if you're cleaning a gun and it's "unloaded", you NEVER point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them. And that includes people in other rooms or even other buildings.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_balla View Post
    also, when the media says "cleaning a gun", who knows if he was actually breaking down the gun, i.e. disassembling it, or just wiping down the slide etc...
    It also occurs to me that since "discharged while cleaning the gun" seems like such a stock phrase, I expect that it is often used as an excuse in cases like this instead of the more truthful, "Oh, I was just screwing around with my gun."
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links