UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident

This is a discussion on UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not online yet, but was in this morning's Pueblo Chieftan : By Nick Bonham A 21-year old man who had been discharged from the U.S. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Thumbs down UGLY: Ex-GI shot by accident

Not online yet, but was in this morning's Pueblo Chieftan:

By Nick Bonham

A 21-year old man who had been discharged from the U.S. Army earlier in the day was accidentally shot in the head late Wednesday by a fellow serviceman who was cleaning a handgun, according to police.

An investigator at the scene said the victim was unlikely to live.

Capt. Tom Rummel of the Pueblo Police Department identified the victim as Richard Medina.

Rumel said Medina had a Texas driver's license.

"The information we're getting is (Medina) just got out of the service (Wednesday), and he has a baby on the way," Rummel said.

Sgt. Tim Boies said a plan was underway to harvest Medina's organs.

The incident happened about 10 p.m. at 3237 W. 18th St., in the Westgate subdivision.

Rummel said the main inhabitant of the home is 26-year-old Antonio Alvarado, who was cleaning a .45-caliber Glock handgun when it accidentally discharged and Medina was struck.

Rummel said Medina's 17-year-old girldfriend and mother of his unborn child witnessed the shooting and was treated at the scene for breathing difficulties.

Because active-duty servicemen were involved in the incident, officials there were contacted.

Pretty sad. Unloaded and disassembled firearms never accidentally discharge. I'll keep my eyes out for the online posting and edit this post when it's available.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

How do you clean a loaded and charged hand gun?
    I don't understand how one cleans a firearm in such a state of condition.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's sad when this type of thing happens. During the late 60's my cousin had just returned home from 3 tours in Nam. He hadn't been home 3 weeks when he was accidentally shot in the neck and killed, by a friend when they were target shooting with a rifle.

jp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How do you clean a loaded and charged hand gun?
    I don't understand how one cleans a firearm in such a state of condition.

- Janq
    I have not been able to figure out that either, seems the cleaning rod will not be able to get past the round in the chamber.

There was an illustrated story going around on another board about a guy - former LEO, I think - who set aside his Glock to clean it, got interrupted for a while, and when he returned to the gun he put a .45 round thru his left hand when he pulled the trigger prior to removing the slide. It was pretty graphic, and the up side is that he'll only have about a 20% disability in that hand. His failure mode was in not checking the chamber before pulling the trigger.

Beyond that, however, when has anyone here ever known the news media to "get it" as far as the technical part of guns and shooting are concerned? Forget about a cleaning rod getting past a round in the chamber... the reporter heard that the guy was "cleaning his gun" which could just as well mean the guy was getting ready to clean his gun, not actively cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Beyond that, however, when has anyone here ever known the news media to "get it" as far as the technical part of guns and shooting are concerned? Forget about a cleaning rod getting past a round in the chamber... the reporter heard that the guy was "cleaning his gun" which could just as well mean the guy was getting ready to clean his gun, not actively cleaning it.
    So true! It could be the reporter or it could be what the shocked girlfriend and/or the police told the reporter. We may never know.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Some guns , don't know on the Glock, require pulling the trigger to release the slide, etc. when cleaning it. Most Mfgr's.... of those type guns... have 10 pages in their manuals about "checking to make sure the gun is empty".

I may be over-safe (no such thing) but I check, recheck, check that I checked, and then check again just to be sure ....... that there are no rounds in the gun before I break it down.

The reason, Long ago ... I was "sure" I had cleared the gun once & rechecked it... when getting ready to clean it... got interupted by my now Ex.... and just about to break it down when I went .. "hummm... wouldn't hurt to check again"... and there was a round in the chamber. I was VERY glad I had checked again. I almost didn't check it that last time.....

I've started putting ammo in an entirely different room before cleaning, after reading a few too many ND stories.

This is tragic.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Tragic story indeed...need more info, but no winners here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If people followed safe gun handling procedures this sort of thing would not have happened... this is one reason why I personally don't like shooting next to people on a range, especially when they have a green shooter on the line because who knows where they would point a gun... gun safety is not taken seriously by too many it seems.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    You know, whenever I hear someone was shot by a gun that someone was "cleaning", I immediately think this is B.S. Something else happened and the "cleaning" story comes out as cover. Sounds better than "we were horsing around and the gun went off".

I don't KNOW what happened here but the whole thing sounds fishy.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing "accidental" about this - it's criminally culpable negligence, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Update

News report last night stated the shooter in this "accidental" discharge will not be charged with anything. The police spokesman stated this was "clearly an accident." The whole thing stinks and it's pretty sad when someone survives one or two tours to the sandbox, only to be killed in his living room by a friend's negligence.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I have had an ND during a "'cleaning' session". Think I've related it before but here goes...

Ruger Security Six 357 Magnum. In a travel trailer. Unloaded to practice dry fire. At completion of dry firing wiped down weapon with oily cloth. My usual procedure was to wrap the cloth around the cylinder, then pull trigger a few times, then reload. Something distracted me and I reloaded after wiping the weapon but before wiping the cylinder, sooooo...

as I was pulling the trigger for the cylinder wipe, it dawned on me that I was making a big boo boo, but the hammer fell, and I heard a VERY LOAD BANG!

Luckily the weapon was pointed up and away. I ran outside to make sure their were no victims or witnesses... could not locate bullet hole in trailer skin, then went back inside to inspect the damage. The Blazer hollowpoint had penetrated one section of flakeboard paneling and come to rest inside a fiberfill travel mattress. I was quite unimpressed by the penetration once I got over doing something so stupid.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Nothing "accidental" about this - it's criminally culpable negligence, IMHO.

Matt
    +1

IMO it is falsely classifying these obviously negligent incidents as accidents that help the anti's in their fight. They scare the population into thinking that guns are horrible because these "accidents" happen and are uncontrollable.

I am also of the opinion that there are very, very few true accidents when it comes to firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links