Another Pitt Bull Shot - Eugene, OR - Page 3

Another Pitt Bull Shot - Eugene, OR

This is a discussion on Another Pitt Bull Shot - Eugene, OR within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just for some context as to why I hold my opinions on this subject, I have a friend whose face was mauled by a pit ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Moderator
    Just for some context as to why I hold my opinions on this subject, I have a friend whose face was mauled by a pit bull. After significant plastic surgery, she 'only' has a few horrible scars that will never fade. And this was a dog that she knew quite well and was always a loving pet.
    That's understandable. To a point.

A friend of mine was killed by his son using a handgun.
    That dosent mean that I want to ban all handguns though.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Believe me, I do understand the opposing view. The question is whether society gains from allowing this dangerous animal to be in close proximity to innocent people. Yes, there are good dogs, probably the majority of pit bulls. But that does not mitigate the severe and sometimes irreparable damage done by this specific breed repeatedly.

It is a trade off between the danger posed by the animal and the love of a particular breed. Don't take this wrong, but I think the owners are selfish, placing their own enjoyment and loyalty over the welfare of the community.

The fact that the list I posted is so long is testament to viciousness of the breed. But even if it were just one child that would be one attack too many.

Just for some context as to why I hold my opinions on this subject, I have a friend whose face was mauled by a pit bull. After significant plastic surgery, she 'only' has a few horrible scars that will never fade. And this was a dog that she knew quite well and was always a loving pet.
    I'm going to have to extend my time out now.....
    How is selfish for me and many many more people to responsibly own one of these dogs? If I where to use your logic all gun owners are selfish because someone could get our guns and kill someone else or them self and because to quote you "placing their own enjoyment and loyalty over the welfare of the community".

I know and can see that you will never see dogs the same as I do.
    It just astounds me that on one hand you think it's ok to have government impose something on one person because you don't see it as a "good thing", but if it where to happen to you'd have a fit because " that's wrong". "It's wrong because it might get out, or what ever it is you can dream up"?

Making people responsible for their choices will get you further than forcing your views on them will. Think of how you respond when this happens to you (be honest with yourself). Now I'll go to the corner.

Pitbulls are actually great dogs that man has ruined by his own selfish desires. They are a very loyal, obedient dog. Sad. The man was definately justified in shooting the dog.
    S&W M&P 9mm
    Springfield Loaded Champion 1911
    Dan Wesson 357 w/ 8" barrel
    Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail 45 ACP
    Keltec P3AT
    Ruger LCR 38 +P

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That's understandable. To a point.

A friend of mine was killed by his son using a handgun.
    That doesn't mean that I want to ban all handguns though.
    Why is everyone equating pit bulls to guns? It's a ridiculous analogy. Again, the gun doesn't kill people, it's whoever pulls the trigger. The pitbull = the killer son, not the gun.

Senior Moderator
    Why is everyone equating pit bulls to guns? It's a ridiculous analogy.
    Banning something just because of what it "might" do is ridiculous.

A pit bull might eat you.
    A gun might kill you.

It's the same logic that the liberals use to ban anything that they dont like or agree with. Never mind the fact that my pit bull has been a great dog and never hurt a flea, to them it dosent matter...because mine might bite somebody.

For someone in say, Florida to suggest banning dogs in Arkansas because of their negative experience with them is not only selfish, but stupid. Its is no different than some Poilitician in D.C wanting to ban my AR-15 because they read an article saying that it is used in a crime.

Same stuff...same flawed logic, different words.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Why is everyone equating pit bulls to guns? It's a ridiculous analogy. Again, the gun doesn't kill people, it's whoever pulls the trigger. The pitbull = the killer son, not the gun.
    I think it was summed up very well in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Forgive me but I don't see your logic. A ban is a ban. I believe that less government and fewer laws make us a free-er (is that even a word?) society. Banning guns, dogs, religion, farts, bad breath or french fries seems wrong to me.
    Understand that I hate Pittbulls, but in America "the land of the free" I don't believe in banning them either. I do think the owners of attack dogs should be punished severly, just like criminals who use guns to commit crime (and ones that don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I don't think we're all equating the actual pit bull with the actual firearm. The parallel everyone is trying to draw is the way it's reported and the actions proposed solve the problem.

Guns = Bad
    Pit Bull = Bad
    Obviously, banning these 2 objects will solve the entire problem.

I think this is the attitude people are talking about.

The idea of responsibility seems foreign to a large section of society now a days.

The parallel we are drawing is to apply the solution to other areas and see if it makes sense. If the solution is to kill all the pit bulls and never allow them in the country again, then that solution must be valid, so lets test it and say that since banning all guns (effectively eradicating the breed) would most certainly work with our gun problem as well, right?

Actually firearm responsibility makes the point quite well. In the same way that an owner is responsible to care for, maintain and keep their firearm under control a dog owner bears the same responsibility. As a gun owner is responsible for familiarizing themselves with their gun, a responsible dog owner must bear the same burden. Most people don't bother to research their dog before they buy it, different dogs have different instinctual drives.

While unlike a gun an animal has the ability to make decisions on their own, the responsibility still rests on the owner. If the owner can not keep the object, whether it be a pit bull, firearm, vehicle, oven, toaster whatever under control and keep others from harm that owner should not be allowed to have that object.

By the way, that same logic would apply to convenience store safety right? Since 100% of convenience store robberies occur in convenience stores, and out of that, 100% of the deaths from convenience store robberies happen in that same area, we should ban all convenience stores.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I don't think we're all equating the actual pit bull with the actual firearm. The parallel everyone is trying to draw is the way it's reported and the actions proposed solve the problem.

Guns = Bad
    Pit Bull = Bad
    Obviously, banning these 2 objects will solve the entire problem.

I think this is the attitude people are talking about.

The idea of responsibility seems foreign to a large section of society now a days.

The parallel we are drawing is to apply the solution to other areas and see if it makes sense. If the solution is to kill all the pit bulls and never allow them in the country again, then that solution must be valid, so lets test it and say that since banning all guns (effectively eradicating the breed) would most certainly work with our gun problem as well, right?

Actually firearm responsibility makes the point quite well. In the same way that an owner is responsible to care for, maintain and keep their firearm under control a dog owner bears the same responsibility. As a gun owner is responsible for familiarizing themselves with their gun, a responsible dog owner must bear the same burden. Most people don't bother to research their dog before they buy it, different dogs have different instinctual drives.

While unlike a gun an animal has the ability to make decisions on their own, the responsibility still rests on the owner. If the owner can not keep the object, whether it be a pit bull, firearm, vehicle, oven, toaster whatever under control and keep others from harm that owner should not be allowed to have that object.

By the way, that same logic would apply to convenience store safety right? Since 100% of convenience store robberies occur in convenience stores, and out of that, 100% of the deaths from convenience store robberies happen in that same area, we should ban all convenience stores.

Holdcard
    I wish I able to express myself in writing as clearly as you just did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links