GOOD: Business Owner Shoots Would-Be Robber - Baltimore, MD

This is a discussion on GOOD: Business Owner Shoots Would-Be Robber - Baltimore, MD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; wjz.com - Dry Cleaner Owner Shoots Would-Be Robber Baltimore is now the third most violent city in the country. It's a troubling position at first ...

Thread: GOOD: Business Owner Shoots Would-Be Robber - Baltimore, MD

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

wjz.com - Dry Cleaner Owner Shoots Would-Be Robber

Baltimore is now the third most violent city in the country. It's a troubling position at first glance, but a ranking that actually represents a drop in crime.

Gigi Barnett reports a would-be robber, armed with a knife, demanded money from the owner of a Charles Village cleaner Wednesday.

It appears this is a case of a store owner turning the tables on the robber who tried to take away his hard-earned money.

Right around 1:45 p.m., a man armed with a knife entered a dry cleaning shop at St. Paul and 32nd Street demanding money. The store owner pulled out a gun and shot the suspect several times. The injured suspect was taken to the hospital, and arrested, and he'll survive. Police say the store owner was shaken but not hurt.

"I couldn't believe something happened right here next to Hopkins, busy corner broad daylight. It's pretty ridiculous," Tom Bennett said.

"I've lived here two years, and this is the first time something like this has happened so close," Lenny Stem said.

Outside of the dry cleaners, a few say they're glad the store owner shot the robber.

"That's what he gets. That's what he deserves if he is going to be robbing small business places like this," Bennett said.

Police caution that civilians taking on armed criminals can be risky.

"In this case, store owner comes away unscathed and stops a robbery in progress. You never want to criticize what someone does to save them from injury, but it's certainly something people should consider carefully before they run out and purchase handguns," Sterling Clifford of the Baltimore City Police Department said.

"Somebody trying to make a living, and some undesirable wanted some free money, and it's ridiculous," Stem said.

Police say there will be a full investigation to determine if this was justified use of force on the part of the store owner, but right now he's not being charged with any crimes. Police have not yet released the identity of the suspect who was shot.

It is the latest violent incident in a city the FBI now ranks third nationally in violent crime.

"I think the biggest success is the fact that this is the lowest that it's been in 30 years, our numbers now, and because we have a very focused plan," Mayor Sheila Dixon said.

Dixon is breathing easier because last year Baltimore was the second most violent city in the nation.

This year Detroit leads the pack with more than 19,000 violent crimes. Memphis, Tenn. has taken Baltimore's old spot with more than 13,000, while Baltimore comes in with just over 10,000.

"We have all the relevant agencies cooperating and working in a concentrated way in identifying the most violent repeat offenders in Baltimore and putting them behind bars," said Rod Rosenstein, U.S. Attorney for Maryland.

The statistics come as no surprise to people who live, work and hang out near the crime scene. They tell Eyewitness News they are slowly seeing changes in their neighborhoods.

Baltimore's new position reflects a decrease in homicides and a drop in assaults and shootings.

"After the real terrible year we had last year, it's definitely encouraging to be heading in the right direction," Baltimore resident Miriam Avins said.

"Overall, I think the initiatives by parole and probation to target violent offenders is responsible for today's reductions," Waverly
    resident Bob Brinkman said.

The good news here is that this year Baltimore is on track to see a 30 percent drop in both homicides and non-fatal shootings. If that trend holds up, Baltimore could fall even further on the violent crime list.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Ahhhhh...it's the 'ole' knife to a gun fight story...ya' gotta' love it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great article, even with the nanny-state quote by Sterling Clifford. The journalist was obviously very pro-self-defense and it's nice to see things like that in the news.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Looks/sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Bravo Zulu on the business owner 'taken' care of 'bidness'!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Looks/sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Bravo Zulu on the business owner 'taken' care of 'bidness'!
    Police say there will be a full investigation to determine if this was justified use of force on the part of the store owner, but right now he's not being charged with any crimes. Police have not yet released the identity of the suspect who was shot.
    With the type of laws that Maryland has on the books as it relates to use to deadly force, you have to actually escape first... when I watched the video in the gun store before my first purchase of a handgun, the DA said the victim has to run away first, even if the attacker is armed (sounds like a good way of getting shot or stabbed in the back to me ).

I hope they find the businessman justified in his actions, but I would say he probably is fortunate not to have been charged because there are nothing but fruit loops over in that State, things gone to hell.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just had a trip to the, ah, how to say, office "library" where somebody had left a Baltimore Sun. (Good place for it, too! ) There was a longer article about this:

* Shots defended, and yet regretted -- baltimoresun.com

The same scumbag had robbed the store twice before. He kept trying to go after the shop owner after each of the three shots fired.

The other thing to take to heart here is Harry Goodman's reaction. A normal guy who decided to defend himself, but certainly didn't want to shoot anybody, and definitely doesn't want to kill anybody. A very human reaction, overall. I am a little surprised that the general reaction he is getting from people is of the bloodthirsty, rather than accusatory, type, but that is not really what he needs right now, either.

By the way, I've used the store. That's about a block from where I lived in grad school. Don't know the owner, though.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Is it just me or are there an inordinate number of DRY CLEANING stores getting hit in this country on an ongoing basis? What is it with dry cleaning businesses? Do they, as a general rule, keep LARGE sums of money on the premises?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    When will Police officials stop saying stupid things like, "going up against armed criminals is risky." Duh! Or "We don't encourage civilians to resist criminals." No, we think they should stand there and be good VICTIMS!

I say this as a former LEO. Sometimes police agencies just say some of the dumbest things!

Sponsored Links