GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged)

This is a discussion on GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by raevan In Lebanon as in Isreal the Military are trained to carry in condition 3 and rack the slide imediatly after the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    In Lebanon as in Isreal the Military are trained to carry in condition 3 and rack the slide imediatly after the draw. They practice and are very fast doing it. A person reacts as trained.
    D'oh! Beat me to it!
    Dang, I'm slow this week!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    If he is not showing a weapon, pisto/rifle/handgun, I would opt to not draw
    A weapon could easily have been inside a pocket or inside the waist covered with a t-shirt... to assume a person with no weapon in his hands as being unarmed or not a threat is not a wise thing... there have been police officers who died making such a mistake, with criminals literally hiding revolvers and razer blades in their rumps and actually drawing them from such places.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    got a question for you guys:

1. is the Comerica bank posted for no CCW? I would find it ironic if it did.

2. I saw this post in another site. some members there posted that the CCWer should have lit the robber then and there because the bomb did post a threat. would it have been a justified shoot if he double tap this guy in noggin presumably because he had a bomb hidden in his chest?

I personally admire the CCWer. No one was hurt; they caught the perp; and the bank was not rob. Good work on his part.
    In the state of Georgia, a commercial bank would be considered the same as any place of business, like Wal Mart, Kroger super market etc and thus it's not off limits (unlike public gatherings like sporting events, public buildings like the department of labor etc). Even with a 'no gun's allowed sign' it would not be illegal to carry but if they ask you to leave, you must comply or be charged with a trespassing violation.

IMHO, since the bank robber committed a forcible felony, that CCW holder had the legal right to draw his weapon on the offender... EVEN if there were no weapons visible, what matters is the ACT of committing the forcible felony. The same would be true for other forcible felonies such as attempted rape, kidnapping etc. If I saw a man trying to kidnap someone in the State of GA, it would be legal for me to draw on him and to use deadly force to stop it. (And considering that a woman was kidnapped off of a bus and killed some weeks ago, just 5min drive from here, it's not unrealistic assume these things.)
    Last edited by CR2008; June 18th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    A weapon could easily have been inside a pocket or inside the waist covered with a t-shirt... to assume a person with no weapon in his hands as being unarmed or not a threat is not a wise thing... there have been police officers who died making such a mistake, with criminals literally hiding revolvers and razer blades in their rumps and actually drawing them from such places.
    I would like to correct my statement. If both hands are visible and not holding any weapon and no weapons are visible, I most likely would not draw, but would put my hand on my firearm and/or close distance to keep him from putting his hands on any weapons.

Regarding secreting away in rumps, I do believe my draw and fire from OWB is substantially quicker than anyone can draw from a rump and do me in.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    On the one hand, maybe he should have high-tailed it outta there, not intervened and (at the very least) been carrying his piece with a pill up the pipe (no extra charge for the alliteration). That would have been the smarter play, and probably what I would have done.

On the other hand, aren't we glad someone actually DID something that stopped a crime and no one got hurt?

I am.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links