GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged)

This is a discussion on GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (WXYZ) -- An attempted bank robbery in Canton played out like a scene from a movie Monday when a man who police say claimed to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged)

New Member Array friend of mine's Avatar

GOOD:Customer Pulls Gun on Bank Robber (Merged)

(WXYZ) -- An attempted bank robbery in Canton played out like a scene from a movie Monday when a man who police say claimed to have a bomb was stopped by a customer armed with a pistol.

The drama started just after the Comerica bank on Michigan Ave. opened around 9 a.m. Police say 54-year-old man Joseph Webster from Washtenaw County walked up to a teller and handed her a note claiming he had a bomb strapped to his body.

http:////www.wxyz.com/news/local/sto...6-1237c14d1376

I am in a quandry as to whether I would pull my gun and risk lives for the banks money.
    I guess you have to be there.
    Good going though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Gun Beats Bomb in Bank Robbery

Last Update: 8:38 pm

An attempted bank robbery in Canton played out like a scene from a movie Monday when a man who police say claimed to have a bomb was stopped by a customer armed with a pistol.

The drama started just after the Comerica bank on Michigan Ave. opened around 9 a.m. Police say 54-year-old man Joseph Webster from Washtenaw County walked up to a teller and handed her a note claiming he had a bomb strapped to his body.

The fast-thinking teller hit the silent alarm while filling a bag with $1 bills -- until, police say, Webster demanded "bands of 50s and 100s." Another teller saw the situation unfolding and alerted Nabil Fawzi, 39, a long-time customer.

Fawzi, who spent six years in the Lebanese army, took matters into his own hands.

He tells WXYZ.com he pulled out a .9 mm handgun (for which he had a CCW permit), racked a bullet in the chamber, pointed it at Webster and announced, "You are not robbing this bank!"

The startled Webster countered with, "but, I have a bomb" -- but Fawzi wasn't impressed. "I don't care. You are not robbing this bank!" was the reply from the other side of the gun. He then forced the Webster into a chair and held him at gunpoint until police arrived.

Police tell WXYZ.com there were no injuries, no issues with Fawzi's CCW permit, and no bomb found at the scene.

Webster was arraigned Tuesday afternoon and charged with one count of bank robbery, one count of armed robbery, and a habitual third offense.

He faces 25 years to life in prison.

(story added by qks)

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar

Dangerous move if there really was a bomb! If you confront, he could just set it off if he's crazy. If you shoot first, he could be deranged enough to have a deadman switch. hmmm?

most so called I got a bomb robberies are fake bombs but you never know when it might be real,I couldn't help but notice the GG had to chamber a round first which is a stupid way to carry IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

New Member Array friend of mine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Thank You
    It must have been truncated in the translation.

At what point did he begin to think he was a LEO? Stupid move, IMHO. Best thing to do is retreat from the scene.
    "racked a bullet in the chamber" - Nope, not a LEO, he walks around with an unloaded weapon. As hard as I try, I can not get any of my semi-autos to rack a bullet into the chamber. They seem to require the complete round to function properly.

Agreed. ^^

Getting blown up or others injured over fully insured not a loss to customers bank money is stupid, and short sighted.
    Agreed with others; CCW <> LEO.
    Also agreed his mode of carry in Condition 3 is not advisable.

This day he came out on top, against a moron.
    Tomorrow he might not be so fortunate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My wife was once the head teller at her bank branch. So we did some research on bank robberies. With cameras and tricked out cash bundles, it is not surprising to find out that bank robbery is seldom perpetrated by anyone with high intellect. In the rare cases of sophisticated bank robberies, the robbers were careful to avoid casualties, their's or customers. The probabilities of a true bomb is extremely small. Therefore, I am not that critical of the customer's decision to draw on the robber. I am critical of not carrying with one in the chamber.

Side note: She was robbed once. When testifying she described the gun as huge, with a long barrel and large muzzle hole. When the prosecutor showed her a snubby she identified that as the weapon. When it's pointed at you it grows in size.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

If he is not showing a weapon, pisto/rifle/handgun, I would opt to not draw (and if I did, by gawd, there would be a round chambered). If there was a weapon visible, then decisive action would be called for ((A) I high tail it out of dodge and let the others worry about their safety or (B) draw and do my best to incapacitate the robber(s).

There was a bank robbery incident less than 10 yrs ago where the robbers started shooting at people in the bank so as to not leave witnesses.

The FDIC insures money, I don't care about that. I care about my families safety, my safety and other innocents safety (in that order). I would do the required to ensure said safety.

My weapon comes out when the robber gets agitated and threatens to blow everybody away and I feel that mine or my family's safety is in jeopardy.
    NRA Member

Before we ridicule Mr. Fawzi for his rash actions, I think we need to take a step back and look at all the facts. Mr. Fawzi is from Lebanon...one of the homes of psycho's that aspire to self-detonate, been in the Lebanese army for four years...he's probably seen his share of human bombs and had at least some training in their operation. So he looks over to the other teller and sees this fat beer-belly guy in a Hawaiian shirt standing next to him, with both hands showing and no visible signs of explosives under his Hawaiian shirt. The guy obviously does not have a detonator in his hand and it is real difficult to conceal 1-3+ sticks of dynamite, or any plastic explosive with its wires, blasting caps, remote, etc. under a fairly tight fitting Hawaiian shirt. The only thing I can see that he did wrong was not being locked and loaded in the first place. Sometimes a difficult situation for some may not even break a sweat for others, it's not always who you know, but what you know, I give Mr. Fawzi an A+...just my honest opinion, your mileage may vary.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    Before we ridicule Mr. Fawzi for his rash actions, I think we need to take a step back and look at all the facts. Mr. Fawzi is from Lebanon...one of the homes of psycho's that aspire to self-detonate, been in the Lebanese army for four years...he's probably seen his share of human bombs and had at least some training in their operation. So he looks over to the other teller and sees this fat beer-belly guy in a Hawaiian shirt standing next to him, with both hands showing and no visible signs of explosives under his Hawaiian shirt. The guy obviously does not have a detonator in his hand and it is real difficult to conceal 1-3+ sticks of dynamite, or any plastic explosive with its wires, blasting caps, remote, etc. under a fairly tight fitting Hawaiian shirt. The only thing I can see that he did wrong was not being locked and loaded in the first place. Sometimes a difficult situation for some may not even break a sweat for others, it's not always who you know, but what you know, I give Mr. Fawzi an A+...just my honest opinion, your mileage may vary.
    Thing your on the money.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    ...When the prosecutor showed her a snubby she identified that as the weapon. When it's pointed at you it grows in size.
    No surprise. The gun in your hand tends to shrink, if you are looking at a grizzly.

I'm also puzzled by his not having a round in the chamber, though.

I think he 'done good.'

He stopped a bank robbery in progress.
    He remained safe.
    He did not have to fire.
    The bank robber was held at gunpoint until the police arrived.
    Nobody got blown up or shot.
    Another 3 time loser goes to jail for a long time.

Other than the fact that he had to rack the slide to get his weapon ready(which he obviously did fast enough to take the bank robber by surprise), I do not see anything to criticize.

Another point for the good guys.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb Texan.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

In Lebanon as in Isreal the Military are trained to carry in condition 3 and rack the slide imediatly after the draw. They practice and are very fast doing it. A person reacts as trained.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links