Armed Robbers open fire without warning - Page 2

Armed Robbers open fire without warning

This is a discussion on Armed Robbers open fire without warning within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This stuff scares the hell out of me...this is just the reason to be in 'yellowish-orange' all the time. When the gun shots start...and I'm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armed Robbers open fire without warning

This stuff scares the hell out of me...this is just the reason to be in 'yellowish-orange' all the time. When the gun shots start...and I'm in the store...all hell WILL break loose...I want to walk out alive.

OMO, but I think about deeeeeeep breathing and my family, the rest will just happen...muscle memory, help me out of this.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Sounds good in theory but with so many customers there and in the line of fire, even if the employees were armed, they would be stupid to fire.
    Yeah, especially if they weren't armed and didn't know how to shoot!!

But given the choice of shooting when innocents are in the line of fire - but you aren't - would you risk missing and killing an innocent bystander? I hope not.

Right. People who don't know how to handle guns have no business trying to defend themselves with a firearm.

Jacksonville is out of control. Here another story from this week:

here a first-person account of the incident: OlberBlog | Chris Olberding's personal website | Thoughts on life, design, and everything! | Jacksonville, Florida
    and some discussions in a local area board: Springfield Community Bulletin Board - View topic - Friends Need Our Help

one lesson from these incidents: they BGs didn't give any warning. they just started shooting as soon as they faced the GG.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Reading all of these stories and running scenarios through my mind when I am out in public, I really have to think twice about the capacity of the 442 that is my primary carry weapon. I feel that I should have nothing short of a g19 or 26 with some high capacity.

I know its hard to believe but not everyone carrys in florida but it sure is gonna get there watch.

But the gunmen didn't shoot at the clerk. The gunfire was to scare the victims into submitting, not to kill them. The clerk had dropped down behind the counter and was able to wait it out. As it was, the clerk guessed (correctly) that the gunmen didn't intend to shoot anyone. And since the clerk didn't have a gun immediately available, it's not like he had much choice.

If the clerk was armed and the customer was clear, he would have been justified in returning fire when the robbery began. Customer or not, if he was being shot AT, I don't think anyone would hesitate to shoot back to save himself. But given the choice of shooting when innocents are in the line of fire - but you aren't - would you risk missing and killing an innocent bystander? I hope not.

I am asking what IF the gunmen opened fired on the clerks, and THEY were armed... should they not return fire or just do nothing while waiting for a more "suitable" opportunity? Sounds like you better hope the BG is a bad shot, if the first one missed or does not hit a vital area, the second round may make that poor guy into a chalk mark.

What do you believe would be the case if a police officer IN public were to be shot at? That should be very interesting... what the statistics show in shootings involving cops in public.... do they wait to return fire, especially if there is NO cover available? Remember most shootings occur at a matter of feet not yards! There are plenty of video showing cops doing traffic stops, and there is an innocent person in the car next to the attacker... what do you think happens when the BG opens fire on the cop? You think he really waits for the "perfect" opportunity to defend himself so as to return home alive?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    I am asking what IF the gunmen opened fired on the clerks, and THEY were armed... should they not return fire or just do nothing while waiting for a more "suitable" opportunity? Sounds like you better hope the BG is a bad shot, if the first one missed or does not hit a vital area, the second round may make that poor guy into a chalk mark.
    In these cases, it would be very hard to shoot, or even draw, before the BG fired the first shot. Think about the guy walking out of the bar and running into the BG in the doorway. Or the pawn shop owner being confronted with 2 (or was it 3?) BGs storming in and shooting.

I think the pawn shop owner should just seek cover. With multiple BGs against him, there is little he could do without endangering his customers even more.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Well, if the gunmen were good shots, then the clerks would likely be seriously wounded or dead. That is what would have happened if the gunmen opened fire on the clerks, whether they were armed or not. That is where the ambush tactic and speed and violence of action works so well.

HOWEVER, if you watch the video, it would appear that there was ONLY ONE gunman and his gun jammed. The guy in red does not appear to have a gun, use a gun, and both of his hands are often occupied with holding a bag and grabbing goodies. Not that the clerks would know at the time, given how they were overwhelmed (apparently) into an inability to respond in any way (crouching behind the counter like the mgr), but the jammed gun and otherwise occupied bad guys was an opportunity. At that point, both robbers were simply collecting loot and not watching the occupants of the store. That is when a response could have been mounted and would have showed the greatest promise for success.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

This sounds like the old "No Nonsense" gang:
    so called as that is the brand of pantyhose the wore over their heads,
    and because when the came in, their opening statement was a 12 gauge through the ceiling.
    Anyone who did not immediately and fully surrender, capitulate and cooperate, was summarily beaten to a bloody pulp.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

This reminds me of the pawn shop owner in Beverly Hills / Los Angeles area who was victimized numerous times by armed robbers. Unfortunately for them, he was an excellent shot with very good situational awareness. More than 4 or 5 left in body bags. But this guy is definitely an exception among business owners. Where he could succeed, others would have failed miserably and likely at the expense of their customers too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links