Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged)

This is a discussion on Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Slabsides45 We live in MS, just over the Memphis line. When the power goes out while watching TV, I reach for the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    We live in MS, just over the Memphis line. When the power goes out while watching TV, I reach for the flashlight and the CDP on my hip (see left... ain't she perty?). We take it very seriously these days, as the crime has begun to spread widely through more affluent areas around the 'burbs.

Recent article I read showed statistical correlation (duh) between spikes in crime in the Memphis area and the destruction of the city housing projects. Basically, the plan was to remove the poor from an environment of hopelessness, surround them with others who demonstrate a work ethic, and they would become like them. These new statistics show that in fact what happened was that the criminal elements in the 'hood were also dispursed, and found newer and more attractive targets in the areas the government is sending them. So before, where you could see high crime areas, now you see it spread out and harder to control. Brilliant.
    I just read a very frank article in The Atlantic about this. Guess that voucher program isn't working out the way they'd planned.

American Murder Mystery

They don't mess around in Germantown. I dated a girl that lived there in the late '80s and I was stopped twice on the way to her house because my Camaro didn't fit in. I had to pop the trunk once just to show them I wasn't carrying loot. I was also a Marine at the time with military ID. Those guys (Germantown PD) were not sitting around the donut shop...sounds like they are still on the ball.

2. Remove Ads

That's the exact article I read. It's long, but very revealing. Doesn't surprise me that Mayor Herrenton turns a blind eye to the facts as they are presented...

Germantown cops are definitely aggressive. Love to give you little blue slips of paper when able...

7 guys in one home invasion? Sounds like it would be nice to have some family back-up.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

BAD: Glad I don't live near Memphis!

* Intruders awaken Germantown household; police chase, nab suspects : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Intruders awaken Germantown household; police chase, nab suspects

By Clay Bailey (Contact)
    Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Thursday, June 12, 2008

When the intruder saw the woman on her cell phone in an upstairs bedroom, he grabbed it and destroyed it.

But the caller already had contacted Germantown police, sending officers to the Bedford Plantation subdivision.

When Germantown officer Jason Heath saw a white utility van leaving the posh subdivision, he noticed a man in the vehicle duck down. That made him suspicious, starting a chase that reached 90 mph along Tenn. 385 and ended 25 miles away near Downtown Memphis with a wrecked van, a damaged police car and five of the seven van occupants under arrest.

Officers found cash and jewelry taken from the residence in the 9700 block of William Brown at the scene where the van crashed into a Memphis police car near Keel and Bellevue just north of Jackson, said Insp. Lee Covey of the Germantown police.

And authorities across the county are wondering if the men in custody, who had not been identified Thursday evening, could be responsible for other home invasions from Meeman-Shelby Forest to DeSoto County.

"Obviously, at this point, there are a lot of similarities," Germantown police Capt. Alan Keller said in the hours after the break-in. "And it has not been ruled out."

'Where's the money?'

"I think there's a robbery," the female voice whispered on the Germantown 911 line. The call was made at about 2:50 a.m. from the home on William Brown.

The woman was upstairs while a group of men was crashing through a window, screaming that they were the FBI and demanding occupants tell them where to find the money. Inside the house was Jeffrey A. Land, who was staying at the house but is not the owner.

Land, 50, one of seven people in the house early Thursday, had gone to bed at about midnight, his Yorkie-poodle mix Sasha asleep in the bed with him. Suddenly, three men -- one wearing a headlamp, one with a flashlight and the third with a handgun -- were in the room.

"They identified themselves as the FBI," Land said, adding that the intruders cuffed his hands in front of him before leading him downstairs with the other occupants of the house, who also were handcuffed.

Land initially thought, " 'They must be in the wrong house.' It didn't dawn on me that it was a home invasion. It was surreal."

The invaders were in dark clothes, ski masks and gloves.

Similar to what happened in several other earlier home invasions, Land said one of the robbers demanded, "Where's the money?" According to public records, Thoeurn Chan and his wife, Mon or Mom Hourn own the $652,000 two-story home. The couple 1/2 own two jewelry shops, Crown Jewelry and Handiwork Jewelry, in Memphis.

'The dog snitched him out'

Two minutes after the whispered warning to the 911 operator, Heath pulled into Bedford Plantation.

And when the one man ducked down inside the speeding van, a suspicious Heath followed.

The van was stolen. The license plate didn't match.

The chase adhered to Germantown police policies allowing officers to pursue violent felons.

"At that time of the morning, there are fewer dangers to the public than there would be during the daytime hours," Covey said.

The suspects exited Interstate 240 at Jackson in North Memphis and sped along Keel onto Bellevue, broadsiding a Memphis police car driving by.

The van careened across Bellevue and smashed into a gate. At least seven people scrambled out of the white van and scattered. Responding officers caught five. They are still looking for two others.

Thurman Shields, 57, heard the sound of the crashing van and jumped to his window.

"When it boomed real hard, I looked out the window and saw the van rolling into the fence," Shields said.

He got dressed and looked again. The neighborhood was crawling with police officers. He later counted 45 patrol cars, a pair of helicopters and two police dogs involved in the search.

One of the dogs coaxed a man from under a pickup truck, Shields said.

"They were fixing to walk away, and the dog started barking," Shields said. "The dog snitched him out."

Crime similar to others

As Germantown police investigated Thursday morning's incident, they were wondering whether it was connected to a string of similar invasion late last year and earlier this year.

Other home invasions occurred in Germantown; in Nesbit, Miss.; a break-in near Meeman-Shelby Forest; and another case in Bartlett. They occurred in the middle of the night, the intruders dressed in dark clothing and ski masks, handcuffs or zip ties available to bind the victims, who, in many cases, own businesses that deal in a large amount of cash.

By noon Thursday, Land, barefoot and wearing blue jeans and a long-sleeve shirt, hadn't slept since being roused out of his bed. No one was hurt during the ordeal on William Brown, and the officer whose car was hit suffered noncritical injuries.

"What happened to my family is irrelevant," Land said philosophically. "Until the area is unsafe for criminals, it will be unsafe for citizens. We need to dig the cancer out, attack the criminals and take the offensive to drive them out of here."

Staff reporters Hank Dudding, Lela Garlington and Matt Woo contributed to this report.

-- Clay Bailey: 529-5263
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

"I think there's a robbery," the female voice whispered on the Germantown 911 line. The call was made at about 2:50 a.m. from the home on William Brown.

The woman was upstairs while a group of men was crashing through a window, screaming that they were the FBI and demanding occupants tell them where to find the money. Inside the house was Jeffrey A. Land, who was staying at the house but is not the owner.

Land, 50, one of seven people in the house early Thursday, had gone to bed at about midnight, his Yorkie-poodle mix Sasha asleep in the bed with him. Suddenly, three men -- one wearing a headlamp, one with a flashlight and the third with a handgun -- were in the room.

"They identified themselves as the FBI," Land said, adding that the intruders cuffed his hands in front of him before leading him downstairs with the other occupants of the house, who also were handcuffed.

Land initially thought, " 'They must be in the wrong house.' It didn't dawn on me that it was a home invasion. It was surreal."

The invaders were in dark clothes, ski masks and gloves.
    This is SOOO bad! Come into a house in the middle of the night, ID'ing oneself as Feds...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    "Until the area is unsafe for criminals, it will be unsafe for citizens. We need to dig the cancer out, attack the criminals and take the offensive to drive them out of here."

So true, so true.

This scares me -- the fake police identification. At the very least, it would slow my reaction time and put me in fear of getting blown away by cops.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Yet another incident of BGs portraying themselves in a realistic manner to be law enforcement.
    There was a thread running last fall and winter toward this with multiple examples of same there in. Several folk in that thread had supposed items like this do not occur and are urban legend.

That supposition was then and still is false.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

B52
    Good point Janq! If they would have broken into my house in the middle of the night they would be eating 00 buckshot before one word got out of their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Good point Janq! If they would have broken into my house in the middle of the night they would be eating 00 buckshot before one word got out of their mouths.
    I agree......it's what's for breakfast (at 3 a.m.)...00 buck!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do not do anything that cops should be raiding my house in the middle of the night for unless they screw up,somebody kicks my door in and there aren't a buncha red and blue lights flashing outside from cop cars and i'm gonna light their wayward souls up with some 00 low recoil buckshot followed up by some 230 +P 45 HST if they get past the 5 shots of 00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I do not do anything that cops should be raiding my house in the middle of the night for unless they screw up,somebody kicks my door in and there aren't a buncha red and blue lights flashing outside from cop cars and i'm gonna light their wayward souls up with some 00 low recoil buckshot followed up by some 230 +P 45 HST if they get past the 5 shots of 00

No-knock warrants have been served at the wrong address on occasion, as documented in other news stories on this site. Chances are if its a no-knock, they're not gonna have their lights going outside -- seems to defeat the whole element of surprise. So in your scenario, say they got the wrong #/street/whatever, and you send some buckshot into an entry team. Chances are, you're dead (along with, perhaps, an LEO or two). Not a happy ending.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

The neighborhood was crawling with police officers. He later counted 45 patrol cars, a pair of helicopters and two police dogs involved in the search.
    Now that is an impressive police response.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    Wow, 7 men. I will go to the range and practice to change magazines as fast as possible. Crime can, has and will happen in any neighborhood so the lesson is to protect yourself no matter where you live.
    This is what makes a shotgun a more effective weapon... Liveleak has video of multiple armed men burglarizing homes (that had CCTV installed in them)... looks like a nightmare scenario.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Dolvio View Post
    They don't mess around in Germantown. I dated a girl that lived there in the late '80s and I was stopped twice on the way to her house because my Camaro didn't fit in. I had to pop the trunk once just to show them I wasn't carrying loot. I was also a Marine at the time with military ID. Those guys (Germantown PD) were not sitting around the donut shop...sounds like they are still on the ball.
    I think the orginal article said that German Town is the "better" part of town. Is it a surprise they get the best police support?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links