Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged)

This is a discussion on Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Germantown is where the rich live in Memphis...... 7 guys 5 arrested....... Neighbors saw it going down and called 911..... WREG-TV Memphis - Germantown Home ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged)

Glad I don't live near Memphis! (Germantown - Merged)

Germantown is where the rich live in Memphis......

7 guys 5 arrested.......

Neighbors saw it going down and called 911.....

WREG-TV Memphis - Germantown Home Invasion Ends In Chase

Germantown police arrested five men for early morning home invasion
    (Memphis - 6/12/2008) By the time police caught up with the men they believe were responsible for a Germantown home invasion in north Memphis, three different law enforcement agencies were involved. Now the investigation centers around the several people they have in custody and the white van they left behind.

Anita Wallace lives right down the street from where this all began. "Just that it was so close to home. And maybe the number of people involved. That's scary." Germantown police say the owners of this home in the Bedford plantations subdivision called 9-1-1 and told them several men broke into their home with weapons and robbed them.

When officers arrived they saw a white van pull away from the house. Police attempted to pull the van over, but it kept going leading police on a high speed chase into Memphis.

"Our pursuit policy is very stringent, as are most [police agencies] in Tennessee and around the country. It's based on the type of crime, a crime of violence," says Deputy Chief Rodney Bright of the Germantown Police Department.

The pursuit ended on Bellevue and Keel near Jackson Avenue when the white van crashed into a Memphis Police Department cruiser. The officer inside was injured and taken to the Med with minor injuries. As many as seven men jumped out of the van. Police captured five right away and brought them into custody, but the other two got away.

Neighbors remain on edge until investigators connect the dots. "Just shock. It just lets us know it could happen anytime. You should always be alert," Wallace adds.

As police impounded the white van that crashed into the police cruiser, investigators told us that much of how this chase ended will play a part in what charges the men in custody may face.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

2. Remove Ads

Wow, 7 men. I will go to the range and practice to change magazines as fast as possible. Crime can, has and will happen in any neighborhood so the lesson is to protect yourself no matter where you live.
    NRA Member

I gotta save up for that mac 10 full auto w/3 or 4 mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

That is a lot of invaders!

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    Germantown is where the rich live in Memphis......

7 guys 5 arrested.......

Neighbors saw it going down and called 911.....
    Apparently the residents offered no resistance.

7 is the most I've read about in a home invasion so far. My G19 only has two rounds each with one extra. Food for thought.

I'm beginning to think any HD weapon needs magazine of at least 15. Eight shot revolvers (S&W 627 for example) are much better than 6 shot. 7 or 8 round 1911's have a nice cartridge but maybe not enough capacity - there are some high capacity ones available.

That said, it is also true that most, but not all, of the time, the invaders focus on getting the heck out of there when someone starts shooting at them. The first to be in the line of fire going down seems to adjust the expectations of the others - so having to stop more than one or two before the others develop an inordinate fixation on being some place else is probably a rare event. Still, it is much better to finish the defense with rounds left over ...

There have been a lot of two and three perp invasions posted here lately, I don't remember one with more than this. As discussed in a thread in the last few days, the number does seem to be increasing.

Fitch

Seven? A driver, couple of lookouts, leaving 4 or 5 BG's to "grab and go". That's a lot more orginized than 'tipically' seen in home invasion type crimes.
    Seems to me they were probley prepared to counter any resistance put up by the home owners.......very scary!

Makes me wonder if the one extra mag I keep ready with my EDC/'nightstand' firearm is now gonna be enough?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    My G19 only has two rounds each with one extra. Food for thought.

I'm beginning to think any HD weapon needs magazine of at least 15. Eight shot revolvers (S&W 627 for example) are much better than 6 shot. 7 or 8 round 1911's have a nice cartridge but maybe not enough capacity - there are some high capacity ones available.
    I have a couple of G17 mags that go in my G19 and on my nightstand at night. 35 rounds of 9mm'y goodness with one mag change!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Think there is lot more to come in the story.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Update

Six charged in Germantown home invasion
    The Commercial Appeal
    Friday, June 13, 2008

Six men have been charged in the Germantown home invasion early Thursday that led to a chase deep into Memphis.

Jeremy J. Munson, 19, Curtis E. Hayes, 29, Jeremiah Hoskins, 20, Robert L. Gilliam, 47, Calvin White, 39 and Cameron White, 31, all of Memphis, face charges of aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery and evading arrest.

Five of the men were taken into custody in North Memphis Thursday morning, and one other suspect was arrested overnight.

Police are still searching for one suspect.

The men are accused in a home invasion in the Bedford Plantation subdivision before leading officers on a chase that ended when the stolen van they were riding in struck a Memphis police car at Keel and Bellevue.

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

More complete coverage....

Germantown home invaders took safe, other valuables
    By Lela Garlington (Contact)
    Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Friday, December 7, 2007

Police are searching for five men – at least three of whom were armed — who broke into a Germantown home this morning, accosting a man and his wife before ransacking the home for cash and valuables.

The home invasion, the first of its kind this year, happened around 1:45 a.m. in the 3100 block of Steeplegate Drive in the Steeplegate subdivision off Poplar Pike, west of Forest Hill-Irene.

Germantown Police Insp. Lee Covey said Wayne McAlpin, 64, was awakened by his home alarm. “Previously, he had had some false alarms. He was thinking it was another false alarm. He casually got up and entered his code into the key pad,” Covey said.

Once the homeowner disarmed his alarm, the robbers confronted him. McAlpin struggled with the men and was struck in the forehead – possibly with a pistol. The suspects then handcuffed McAlpin and his wife Barbara, 62, before taking McAlpin room to room searching for valuables. All five men wore ski masks, gloves and dark clothing.

The robbers asked “where’s your cash,” Covey said, but they sought jewelry, silverware and other valuables as well.

The police report indicated the robbers ordered the couple to open a safe in a hall closet. When McAlpin told the men he didn’t know the combination, the report stated, “The suspects struck him several times on the right side of his face…Mrs. McAlpin tried to open the safe but couldn’t.”

The suspects then carried a gray four-foot-tall safe out of the house and into their getaway vehicle. Covey estimated the total loss at less than $20,000.

Police believe the five were in the home for 20 to 30 minutes. The robbers cut the phone line, entered the yard through a wooden gate then broke in through a back door with a crowbar.

Around 2:20 a.m. McAlpin, bleeding from the wound to his head and still in handcuffs, walked to his next door neighbor’s house for help. Neighbors then called police. McAlpin, who owns Pyramid Used Cars in Memphis, was treated by paramedics and taken to Germantown Methodist for further testing and released early Friday morning. Mrs. McAlpin was not physically hurt during the home invasion.

While police were able to open Mrs. McAlpin’s handcuffs, the fire department had to clip the chain between the handcuffs off McAlpin’s before he was freed.

Covey said police have a “lot of interviewing” to do because of the number of housekeeping and other service people the couple hire. They also are interviewing employees from the couple’s business. Covey stressed the home invasion was not random and that the homeowner had been specifically targeted.

“Everything was turned upside down. The homeowners have quite a bit of cleaning up to do to find out what is missing,” he said. “It was obviously planned. They knew what home they were targeting. They immediately demanded cash.”

Covey said the home had ADT Security Services. “No call ever made it into the police department. The alarm system was not set up to notify the alarm company if the phone line was cut. There also was no cellular phone backup,” he said.

When contacted, Ann Lindstrom, ADT’s director of corporate communications in Boca Raton, Fla., stated in an e-mail, “ADT cannot comment on the alarm signal history of its customers. Furthermore, ADT recommends all residential and commercial security customers have a redundant or secondary mode of communications for their alarm system, such as a cellular backup in the event the primary means of communications is compromised.”

Germantown Police are offering a reward for information that leads to any arrests. The number is 757-CASH. With five robbers involved, Covey hopes one of them will talk and lead to a tip. Germantown is also checking with the Memphis Police Department to see if this robbery could be linked to others in the area.

VIP Member
    Germantown Police Insp. Lee Covey said Wayne McAlpin, 64, was awakened by his home alarm. “Previously, he had had some false alarms. He was thinking it was another false alarm. He casually got up and entered his code into the key pad,” Covey said.
    That makes you wonder if the criminals caused the false alarms to induce complacency in the homeowners.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice plan. Break in then hide and wait for homeowner to decide it is a false alarm.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

McAlpin struggled with the men and was struck in the forehead – possibly with a pistol. The suspects then handcuffed McAlpin and his wife Barbara, 62, before taking McAlpin room to room searching for valuables. All five men wore ski masks, gloves and dark clothing.

Just another example of why if you get up in the middle of the night to an alarm or other disturbance you should do it w/ a gun in your hand and a mag in your pocket. Being on the receiving end of large caliber gun fire quickly changes someones attitude on where they want to be - right now. Pretty sure 8 shots, a couple hits and a reload would be plenty to discourage further aggressive behavior. This guy is dammed lucky to be alive.

BTW, how did a couple guys carry out a four foot safe? Last I checked, a decent safe that size weighs about 400 lbs.

Let me do the math: 30rnds with me at all times, 7 BGs = a little more than 4 per BG. Trust me, i wouldn't need all 30.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That makes you wonder if the criminals caused the false alarms to induce complacency in the homeowners.
    Wouldn't be the first time, even done at a higher level:

Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion: rebels approach Soviet base during night & throw rabbit over fence. Lights, alarms, shooting, & Soviets realize they killed a rabbit. The next night, the same thing. Eventually, Soviets turn off sensors, & rebels can penetrate the base.

Soviet embassy in Wash., DC: whenever there was a thunderstorm, US spies fired sugar pellets against embassy window. Motion sensors go off. Eventually, Soviets turn off sensors after too many thunderstorms, allowing US to spy.

Source: Bruce Schneier's "Beyond Fear".

We live in MS, just over the Memphis line. When the power goes out while watching TV, I reach for the flashlight and the CDP on my hip (see left... ain't she perty?). We take it very seriously these days, as the crime has begun to spread widely through more affluent areas around the 'burbs.

Recent article I read showed statistical correlation (duh) between spikes in crime in the Memphis area and the destruction of the city housing projects. Basically, the plan was to remove the poor from an environment of hopelessness, surround them with others who demonstrate a work ethic, and they would become like them. These new statistics show that in fact what happened was that the criminal elements in the 'hood were also dispursed, and found newer and more attractive targets in the areas the government is sending them. So before, where you could see high crime areas, now you see it spread out and harder to control. Brilliant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links