Father is Accused of Pulling Gun on 2 EMTs

This is a discussion on Father is Accused of Pulling Gun on 2 EMTs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is just one reason why all my patients get offered a ride to the ED. EMS News: Father is Accused of Pulling Gun on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Father is Accused of Pulling Gun on 2 EMTs

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This is just one reason why all my patients get offered a ride to the ED.

EMS News: Father is Accused of Pulling Gun on 2 EMTs

TAMPA, Fla. -- Officials said the man got a gun after the EMTs said his son didn't need hospital care.

Kelverick Lewis thought his infant son had to go to the hospital June 11, and he was not about to change his mind after two paramedics summoned from Tampa Fire Rescue assured him his son was fine.

Such a disagreement with a panicked parent may not be out of the ordinary, but Lewis' stubbornness was: He pulled a gun on the EMTs and vowed to shoot them if they did not take his son to the hospital, according to the police spokeswoman Janelle McGregor.

The paramedics fled - and Lewis is now behind bars.

Neither of the Fire Rescue personnel was injured, though Assistant Fire Chief Tom Forward said both were rattled by the incident.

"Very seldom does it escalate to something like this," Forward said. "They don't generally call you up and then pull a gun."

Lewis, 20, of 13804 Cypress Way, No. 32F, hid out after the confrontation, and was caught Tuesday at an apartment complex north of Fowler Avenue, Tampa police said.

He previously rejected an officer's plea to turn himself in peacefully. The United States Marshals Service joined forces with police in locating him.

It was hardly Lewis' first brush with the law: He has notched arrests over the last decade on matters ranging from burglary to battery, aggravated assault to larceny.

Lewis is charged with four counts of aggravated assault on a firefighter, one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of battery. He was held Tuesday without bail at the Orient Road Jail.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

From his history...shouldn't there be a 'felon in possession of a firearm' charge of some type?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A real productive member of society if I had my way he wouldn't live much longer,once you show you don't want to live by societys rules committing crimes against people then why keep you around we got to many criminals sucking up good oxygen as it is
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've been an EMT for over 15 years. In Indiana, EMT's cannot diagnose, and as a result, if the patient or legal guardian requests transport........ off we go. The liability for advising against transport is a foolish risk.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Darn straight. No matter how ridiculous the request, we cannot refuse to transport.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

LE and paramedic x 21 years.
    We often ended up as the friendly local "Horizontal Taxi Service" but like yourselves could not refuse a transport.
    I was never injured as a lawman, but I was twice as a medic. Go figure.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    From his history...shouldn't there be a 'felon in possession of a firearm' charge of some type?
    You would think so, especially with all those previous charges and yet he is only 20. He will be out on parole or time served in no time. A real productive member of society

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike78 View Post
    You would think so, especially with all those previous charges and yet he is only 20. He will be out on parole or time served in no time. A real productive member of society
    Not necessarily. If convicted on the aggravated assault charge, since a firearm is involved, he's looking at a 3 year mandatory prison term.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Lewis, 20, [...] has notched arrests over the last decade [...]
    A real choir-boy.

What is Florida's take on juvenile record restricting firearms access?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    One way to be sure SOMEONE get hospital care, or some type of institutional attention.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

With the criminalization of America almost everything is a felony nowadays. I say if a person is safe enough to walk the streets he is ok to carry a firearm. That is to say...if he is a danger to society he shouldn't have been released in the first place...or he's paid his debt. Those type laws are anti-2A to me.

I as surprised about the non-transport as much as the other EMS guys here. We can't refuse transport, especially to anyone under 18 without parental consent. If the father wanted the infant to go, we would be REQUIRED to transport regardless of the patient's condition. It's very strange that they would have refused to take that transport. Could be more to this than what we see and it would not surprise me if that were the case.

Due to situations like this, we have an SOP in it's final stages for dealing with this type of scenario. Unfortunately I see this type of thing becoming extremly more common in the near future.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Related to this discussion about felons with a firearm.

Florence man gets more than 15 years for gun charge | SCNow

By Morning News Staff Reports

Published: June 20, 2008

A Florence man has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm, U.S. Attorney W. Walter Wilkins said in a press release.

U.S. District Judge Terry L. Wooten sentenced 33-year-old Johnny Cade to 190 months in prison. Cade faced a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison and up to life in prison.

On April 23, Florence police received a call that a man in the area of North Chase and Dixie streets was carrying a gun and saying he intended to shoot someone. Police located Cade, also known as John Allsbrook, and seized a loaded .38 Special revolver and additional rounds of ammunition in his pockets.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Rose Mary Parham of the Florence office prosecuted the case as part of Project CeaseFire, which seeks to prosecute people who unlawfully use or possess firearms. The case also was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

I agree with all, however, keep in mind, many of us work for a reasonably stress ems service, but most of the time, these situations occur in totally over stress EMS systems. Its very easy to say, we would never do that, my department would be one of those.

A city like Tampa is likely severely under staffed for EMS service and are faced dilemma quite often. Also keep in mind, that it is very likely that while this was occurring, someone else, somewhere else in the city was being told, "we will get you an ambulance as soon as we can and then waits 20 minutes for help"

Again, I agree, we too do not refuse transport, but then again I am able to provide EMS service to all requests in a timely manner. Its hard to fault when you have not walked in Tampa's shoes.

Might be that the Feds haven't charged him with anything (yet) and that it was just a list of state charges. Who knows if a federal prosecutor wants to take the case? It's highly variable depending on locations, personalities, and situations, although the involvement of the US Marshals might help in this situation.

The fed charge is 18 USC 922 (g)(1).

This, of course, is only applicable if he's been convicted of a felony, not just arrested as the article states.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links