Arrests Made in Shooting of Pregnant Bank Teller

This is a discussion on Arrests Made in Shooting of Pregnant Bank Teller within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is an update to a previous thread. INDIANAPOLIS Authorities announced Friday that a man has been arrested on charges that he was the ...

This is an update to a previous thread.

INDIANAPOLIS Authorities announced Friday that a man has been arrested on charges that he was the gunman who shot a pregnant bank teller, causing her to later lose her twins.

Detectives arrested Brian Kendrick, 29, on several charges, including attempted murder and two counts of feticide, for the April 22 shooting during the robbery of a Huntington Bank branch on the city's east side, police said.

Katherin Shuffield, 30, was five months pregnant when she shot in the abdomen as the gunman jumped over the teller's station and fired just after the bank had opened for the day. Two days after the shooting, Shuffield lost her twin girls.

Police also arrested Aaron Stewart, 28, on conspiracy to commit robbery charges for helping Kendrick.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said both men were jailed under a 72-hour hold and he expected his office to file formal charges against them on Monday.

Current Indiana law allows prosecutors to charge people with murder in cases where a fetus dies, but only if the mother is at least seven months pregnant.

Kendrick would face a possible prison sentence of 20 years to 50 years if convicted of attempted murder. The feticide charges each carry possible sentences of two years to eight years.

Police said detectives got new tips on the case last week and brought Stewart in for questioning, during which he implicated Kendrick. Police said that Kendrick did not make a statement about the robbery and shooting.

Deputy Police Chief William Benjamin said more than 400 officers worked the case.

"We did not leave a tip unturned," he said.

No other people are being actively sought in the case, although a search continues for the gun used in the shooting, police said.
    I am so glad they finally caught somebody. I hope they get the needle.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I am so glad they finally caught somebody. I hope they get the needle.
    +1 Neither deserve to breath any longer!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    My prayers for this mom......... and her family.

For the BG....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sorry to hear he was arrested without 'incident'. The law will treat him far too gently. This guy deserves something 'cruel and unusual'.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

only 2 to 8 years for killing 2 unborn babies,but the attempt to kill an adult will get you 20 to 50,theres something very wrong here
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hang um by their twig & berries and let the lady beat them to death!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    only 2 to 8 years for killing 2 unborn babies,but the attempt to kill an adult will get you 20 to 50,theres something very wrong here
    They may face a less-kind, un-gentler justice if they go to prison, at the hands of their peers.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

What bothers me is that he will only get a handful of years for the death of 2 people, not fetuses but actual people who hadn't had the opportunity of being born yet.

I say he should get 2 counts of manslaughter and 1 count of attempted murder, not to mention the standard use of a firearm during the act of committing a felony, attempted bank robbery, and just plain old being stupid in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Last edited by JD; June 21st, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed off topic content.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I agree!

I'm sorry, I'm 5 months pregnant and for someone to KILL my baby and then have someone tell me the most he can get is 2-8 years for killing MY CHILD?.... That leaves me literally speechless.

I can't imagine that kind of injustice. I'd demand the death penalty and that would only be APPROACHING true justice for him.

The poor woman. My heart breaks for her.

Kendrick would face a possible prison sentence of 20 years to 50 years if convicted
    And out in half that for good behavior? The justice system needs to be flushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    What bothers me is that he will only get a handful of years for the death of 2 people, not fetuses but actual people who hadn't had the opportunity of being born yet.

I say he should get 2 counts of manslaughter and 1 count of attempted murder, not to mention the standard use of a firearm during the act of committing a felony, attempted bank robbery, and just plain old being stupid in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I can't remember the race of the victim(s), but he should be charged with some kind of hate crime...terrorism...ethnic cleansing. Something. These two scum deserve to die and I mean as fast as possible.
    Last edited by JD; June 21st, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed delted portion of quoted post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolvio View Post
    I can't remember the race of the victim(s), but he should be charged with some kind of hate crime...terrorism...ethnic cleansing. Something. These two scum deserve to die and I mean as fast as possible.
    The perpetrators are black.....

Hate Crime?

That's a joke, right?

Let's count ourselves lucky if we don't get an OJ jury.

--Travis--

Quote Originally Posted by Dolvio View Post
    And out in half that for good behavior? The justice system needs to be flushed.
    I believe it's called the 'injustice system'...

...and the evil scumbag(s) deserve to be 'deep fried' and fed to the gators...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    You cannot say that you do not want to turn a thread into a Roe V Wade argument and then go right ahead and turn the thread into a Roe V Wade argument.

Using that same methodology.

I don't want to close this thread so I'm going to go right ahead and close this thread.

Forum Rules Page ~ Rule #8
    We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly.
    For this reason, we do not focus on these subjects in our discussions.
    We encourage you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

Links