Robber/Killer says "He messed it up for both of us by grabbing the gun".

This is a discussion on Robber/Killer says "He messed it up for both of us by grabbing the gun". within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He wanted money but killed - mlive.com He wanted money but killed Saturday, June 21, 2008 DARRYL Q. TUCKER THE SAGINAW NEWS A Saginaw man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robber/Killer says "He messed it up for both of us by grabbing the gun".

He wanted money but killed - mlive.com

He wanted money but killed
    Saturday, June 21, 2008
    DARRYL Q. TUCKER
    THE SAGINAW NEWS

A Saginaw man says his only job was robbing people, and he told a jury he wasn't a cold-blooded killer when he fatally wounded a Bridgeport Township man.

A jury disagreed with Freddie L. Powell, however, convicting him Friday of felony murder in the May 18, 2007, death of Elijah McCray, 74, at Bagley and East Holland.

Saginaw County Circuit Judge Darnell Jackson will sentence Powell on Thursday, July 31, to a mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Powell killed McCray during a robbery, but he told jurors it was an accident because he and McCray were struggling over the gun. McCray collected money for illegal lotteries, police said.

''I did not want that to happen,'' Powell testified during his trial in Saginaw County Circuit Court. ''I was scared for my life, too.''

Powell apologized for killing McCray. He admitted during his profanity-laced testimony that he had the murder weapon when police arrested him two days after the incident.

''I messed up,'' Powell said. ''I understand I was wrong. I just wanted some money, sir.''

Powell said he was guilty of second-degree murder, armed robbery and the weapons charges prosecutors brought against him but claimed he didn't commit first-degree murder.

In a taped statement jurors heard during the trial, Powell told police that McCray ''messed it up for both of us,'' by grabbing his gun instead of just allowing the armed robbery to take place.

''He messed up for just grabbing the gun,'' Powell said. ''I don't see how I was wrong.''

Assistant Prosecutor James T. Borchard told jurors during his closing argument that Powell pointed his gun at McCray's head and killed him during the robbery, which is felony murder.

''He chose to do the armed robbery with a loaded gun,'' Borchard said.

Jurors deliberated for more than four hours before convicting Powell, who lived at 351 S. 11th, of felony murder, armed robbery of money, resisting and obstructing a police officer, two charges of carrying a concealed weapon and two counts of possessing a firearm while committing a felony.

Defense attorney William D. White said in his closing argument that Powell admitted to all of the crimes except felony murder because of the gun struggle. Powell committed second-degree murder, he said.

McCray was sitting inside his red Chevrolet pickup. Evidence showed that McCray reached for the gun and Powell shot him once in the head at point-blank range, Borchard said.

Powell was in jail without bond.

Police arrested Powell on May 21, 2007, after pulling him over during a traffic stop.

Saginaw Police Sgt. Robert Ruth testified McCray was carrying an undisclosed amount of money and betting slips. When police arrived, McCray's betting slips were gone but the money was there.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    It is people like this, who don't understand how murder or armed robbery is wrong, who need to be dealt with swiftly.

So basically he is upset that someone did not do as Sarah Brady wants and now he is going to prison because of it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I was just doing my job and he broke the rules regarding what a robbeee is supposed to do when being robbed,I only wanted the money what is it that i did that was so wrong.I guess in his world his actions are normal and he is a victim of somebody trying to prevent himself from being robbed,I hope he enjoys prison life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The bad thing is his defense could have worked on some juries..............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Here's an older article, published before the trial, which gives additional details:
    2007 shooting death trial begins

Friday, June 20, 2008DARRYL Q. TUCKERTHE SAGINAW NEWS

A trial has started for a Saginaw man facing charges in the shooting death of a 74-year-old man who collected money for illegal lotteries.

Freddie L. Powell, 25, faces charges of felony murder of Elijah McCray, armed robbery of money, resisting and obstructing a police officer, two charges of carrying a concealed weapon and two counts of possessing a firearm while committing a felony May 18, 2007.

Powell approached McCray's red Chevrolet pickup at Bagley and East Holland, said Saginaw County Assistant Prosecutor James T. Borchard.

A gun-toting Powell pointed his weapon and demanded money from McCray, who lived in Bridgeport Township, he told the jury of five men and nine women.

Evidence showed that McCray reached for the gun and Powell shot him once in the head at point-blank range, Borchard said. Powell, who lived at 351 S. 11th, fled the scene.

Defense attorney William D. White told jurors prosecutors won't prove that his client intended to kill McCray. ''Evidence will show the victim struggled over the gun and it discharged accidentally,'' White said.

Powell was in jail without bond. A conviction could lead to a sentence of up to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Police arrested Powell on May 21, 2007, after they pulled him over during a traffic stop.

Saginaw Police Detective Robert Ruth testified McCray was carrying an undisclosed amount of money and betting slips. When police arrived, McCray's betting slips were gone but the money was there.

Circuit Judge Darnell Jackson is presiding over the trial that was to resume today.
    A 25-year-old tries to rob a 74-year-old. The young man aims a gun at the old man's head and pulls the trigger, killing the old man. It would have still been horrible and wrong had the victim not been 74 years old, but to me that makes it worse: the young preying on the old.

If the young punk wanted money so bad, he should have been out looking for a job.

I have no mercy for the killer. Flush him from society.

We must allow members of our society to protect themselves by having and carrying weapons, and we owe special considerations of protection to the very young and the old... and when they are assaulted and killed, we need to come down heavy on the guilty party.

Let's hope some stupid parole board somewhere doesn't let the killer out in a few years.

P.S. No offense to anyone by calling 74 old.

VIP Member
    If it had happened in California the jury would have probably found him not guilty, awarded him the money McCray had on him and ordered McCrays family to pay him $20 million for emotional distress! As far as I'm concerned he commited a murder during commission of a armed robbery. He should recieve a lethal injection!

Senior Moderator
    This guy is in 'la la land'...hope he spends the rest of his days behind bars...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    There are inherent risks in armed robbery, for both the robber and [intended] victim.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

He's a ex-convict in Michigan. I guess he missed the good life, and now he has it forever. Too bad we don't have the death penalty.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This guy is in 'la la land'...hope he spends the rest of his days behind bars...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    A hole in the ground would be better.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    The bad thing is his defense could have worked on some juries..............

It took the jurors over 4 hours to convict, so it was close to working this time. This should have been in and out conviction.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

''He messed up for just grabbing the gun,'' Powell said. ''I don't see how I was wrong.''
    He doesn't need to. The rest of the world does see it, however. He is utterly amoral, if he cannot see his way through the logic.

Be prepared to cough up 1/100,000,000th share of $35K/yr for the rest of his life (25-whenever), adjusted for inflation, to cover his three squares a day and PhD in criminology. Luv u 2.

I hope he's a little chest pounder in prison and that "bubba" and "donk" find him a bit tiresome.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The mandatory sentence is life without parole so don't worry about a parole board letting him out.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    The mandatory sentence is life without parole so don't worry about a parole board letting him out.
    Hm. So, 1/100,000,000th share of his $35/yr cost of incarceration, adjusted for inflation, for the rest of his life ... guaranteed. What a deal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links