Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water

This is a discussion on Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [sarcasm]Huh? Since when do bullets bounce off of water? [/sarcasm] Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water - Yahoo! News VANCOUVER, Wash. - A ...

Thread: Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water

Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water

[sarcasm]Huh? Since when do bullets bounce off of water? [/sarcasm]

Wash. campers duck gunshots that bounced off water - Yahoo! News

VANCOUVER, Wash. - A 25-year-old man pleaded not guilty to reckless endangerment after shooting into a lake in the direction of a campground, not realizing his bullets were bouncing off the water and forcing campers to seek cover, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clark County sheriff's deputies responding to frantic 911 calls last weekend drove around Yale Reservoir, south of Mount St. Helens, and arrested Jacob Michael Johnson, 25, of Vancouver. He acknowledged firing three guns, including an AK-47 assault-style rifle, according to the deputies' report.

"Some people stated that they climbed behind vehicles and under things to stay out of the line of fire," Deputy James Payne said.

No one was injured.

Johnson said he had been shooting at the water and an island between his campsite and the campground, the report said. Told his bullets were ricocheting into the campground, Johnson said he didn't know bullets could do that, according to the report.

"The whole shooting into the campground is just speculation," Johnson said Thursday. "It didn't happen. I wasn't shooting into the campground."

Johnson pleaded not guilty Monday to five counts of misdemeanor reckless endangerment in Clark County District Court and is free on bail. If convicted, he could get five years' incarceration and fines.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

What an idiot.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Huh? Since when do bullets bounce off of water?

Since bullets were invented.

I made several Deputy calls to individuals that were doing exactly the same thing. Last one were two kids shooting .22's across the lake. A bullet will bounce a long way over the water.

The shooter is responsible for every single bullet that leaves his gun.
    "ignorance" is no excuse.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When firing 7.62n over land we needed something in the neighborhood of 2 miles of clear impact zone, in case one fired up at 20-30 degrees the round would go about that far. Over water we needed more like 5 miles of clear impact zone because the rounds skip like a stone.-Jay

Say what you want idiots like that don't need to own firearms,what a moron,he's lucky he didn't kill anybody
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Agreed. ^^

Further this point of ricochet with bullets, and shot as well as slugs too, is covered in a Basic Hunter Education course as well as waterfowl and in a Basic Firearm Safety course.
    Had he taken a day to educate himself via class or even a book toward proper operation of a firearm he'd have saved himself a lot of trouble, and his victims same.

- Janq

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Knowing what's behind your target...before you shoot, comes to mine...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 22nd, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

But the water was splashing so it musta stopped the bullets,besides it looks really cool
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Moderator
    But the water was splashing so it musta stopped the bullets,besides it looks really cool
    Nope.

The water splashing is where the bullet hits it and launches itself somewhere else.
    Bullets do skip like flat rocks on water. When a bullet hits water it might just bounce off and continue on its way or it may disturb the bullet itself and the bullet tumbles all over the place.

I have seen .22 bullets deflect as much as 90 degrees on the water. When we were kids and had a habit of shooting turtles and snakes on the river, it wasn't unusual to see branches breaking from trees and hitting the water due to ricocheted bullets.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

dukalmighty and myself were just kidding around.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    I was hoping that was the case.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    dukalmighty and myself were just kidding around.
    I gotta start letting people know when I'm being sarcastic ,I know bullets ricochet off of water or any other hard flat surfaceI almost got shot by some duck hunters they got set up late about 50 yards across from our set,we had ducks landing in our decoys and these yahoos starting shooting at them ,the steel shot was ricocheting through the brush ,and they quit when i yelled i got some slugs ya wanta try that again

good reply

The slug reply is classic duckalmighty some hunters are oblivious to basic saftey rules me and my grand father got pinned by a hunter flinging slugs over the horizion and into the bowl of the strip mine we hunted.

Links