Man beats gunman with fan, wrestles away shotgun

This is a discussion on Man beats gunman with fan, wrestles away shotgun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.katu.com/news/20641429.html PORTLAND, Ore. - A shooting suspect was badly injured after he knocked down a door to try to get to two people and was ...

Thread: Man beats gunman with fan, wrestles away shotgun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.katu.com/news/20641429.html

PORTLAND, Ore. - A shooting suspect was badly injured after he knocked down a door to try to get to two people and was greeted by a man armed with an oscillating fan.

The incident happened around 1 a.m. at a six-unit apartment complex located at Northeast 94th Avenue near Glisan Street.

Officers were dispatched to the location after several callers reported that shots had been fired.

According to police, a man showed up at the apartment complex and began shooting and threatening people. He then went to an apartment where two people, a man and a woman, were hiding in their locked bedroom and broke down the door to get to them.

According to neighbor Kelly Featherly, the man in the bedroom was waiting with an oscillating fan and beat the shooting suspect down the stairs with it. At some point, the man was able to get hold of the shotgun and beat the man with it as well.

"He said 'I beat him all the way down the stairs until he not move.' He's Asian and his English is kind of separated. And I was like 'right on man.' So good for him," Featherly said.

Featherly said before all that took place the shooter took aim at him outside his door, shooting at him and missing as Featherly quickly ducked back inside. His wife's car, which caught the bullets, may have saved his life.

"I'm grateful that my car was here and took the blunt of him shooting at my husband," Carlyn Featherly said.

Police arrested 43-year-old Dong Pham and he was transported to the hospital to be treated for head injuries.

Investigators believe Pham may have had a romantic interest in a woman at the apartment complex, who he used to live with, although it is unclear whether the two actually had a relationship. Investigators are also looking into a previous reported assault against the male victim by Pham the day before.

Pham, who lives in southeast Portland, does not have an arrest history with Portland police. He was charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary in the first degree in connection with the shooting.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Detective Todd Gradwahl at (503) 823-9773 or Detective Mike Smith at (503) 823-0451.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Its funny is someways.........I hope his fan was registered....good for him for the BG.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

BG brought a gun to a fan-fight, and lost!

Do oscillating fans have to be registered with the Bureau of Appliances, Televisions, Fans, and Electronics?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Can you imagine this victim if he had had a gun and training?

This just in...

Feather Finds a Fan 1

Dong Pham is Done 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I guess instead of "it" hitting the fan the fan hit "it".
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I guess instead of "it" hitting the fan the fan hit "it".
    Now THAT...was laughing out loud great...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Any weapon in a pinch...

But, man alive, what a horribly written article!
    At some point, the man was able to get hold of the shotgun and beat the man with it as well.
    Do they even pretend to make reporters be able to speak English anymore? It took me two readings to figure out that Featherly was just the neighbor quoted in the story and not the guy with the fan. Fan-boy is (fortunately enough, I suppose) not named in the article.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Everything is a weapon (be it offensive or defensive).

- Life
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Wow, armed with a shotgunned and outgunned by a man with a fan.

Pathetic. Don't bring a pansy to a gunfight, that's all I got to say about that.

I'm getting this vision my head of a guy with one of those fans on a pole who swings for the bleachers. Then beating him with his own shotgun. Damn!
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Some truckers blocked the highway to stop a guy who was driving down the highway taking pot shots at them..... one trucker was my cousin... and I had heard the guy had shot him.

So, I watched the news and they are showing this guy on an ambulance stretcher being put into the ambulance..... then explain that is the BG ... after he had shot one trucker .... who then beat the hell out of the gunman... and sending him to the hospital in bad shape.

Apparently, he had gotten out of his truck and the bad guy got out of his car, gun in hand, and shot him in the stomach area...... the bullet went thru his big ole cowboy belt and stopped right there... lodged between the belt bucket and the leather of the belt (.38 cal). At which point, my cousin jumped him so he couldn't shoot again and whomped him.

It was about 10 minutes before I could get off of the floor from laughing at the pic's of them loading the BG into the ambulance.

Links