UGLY: Woman killed during Tulsa home invasion robbery

This is a discussion on UGLY: Woman killed during Tulsa home invasion robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tulsa World: Woman killed during Tulsa home invasion robbery by: KELLY HINES World Staff Writer 6/25/2008 12:00 AM A woman is dead and her husband ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tulsa World: Woman killed during Tulsa home invasion robbery

by: KELLY HINES World Staff Writer
    6/25/2008 12:00 AM

A woman is dead and her husband is hospitalized after they were shot during a robbery inside their Tulsa home early Wednesday.

The shooting occurred at the intersection of West 39th Street and South Union Avenue about 4 a.m., Officer Leland Ashley of Tulsa Police said. The home owner told officers he woke up to see a person inside his house.

After a struggle, the robber fatally shot the woman and also shot the man in the hand with the couple's own gun, police said.

Investigators are looking for a white or American Indian man in his late teens or early 20s and about 6 feet tall. It is unknown whether the couple knew him.

The man who lived at the home was taken to St. Francis Hospital with a non-life-threatening injury. Two of the couple's children, ages 9 and 15, were at home at the time but were not injured, Ashley said.

A neighbor said the woman killed appeared to have been in her early 40s.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

That is the main reason I love my dog. She will wake me up way before someone is in my home, and I will handle the rest. My prayers go out to this husband and their young children who now have to deal with this tragedy. I hope they catch this scum and expedite his departure from this planet.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    That is the main reason I love my dog.
    +1 (And my alarm system too)!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"........the robber fatally shot the woman and also shot the man in the hand with the couple's own gun, police said."

Prayers for the family.

+1 on the dog and NOT getting in a struggle with a BG. Dunno if the homeowner got into a 'struggle' and lost his weapon or the BG already had it .............
    Another O2 waster that needs to go bye-bye.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

This home invasion/robbery stuff is getting more and more common...I have to wonder how the BG got the homeowner's gun?

A large aggressive dog can be worth his/her weight in gold as far as being a HD unit...they enjoy the work, and you have perimeter warning system that only requires food and companionship.

My Rhodesian Ridgeback thrives on watching others...

Side note...
    A dog will almost always be faithful and trusting...here's a little experiment...put your dog and your wife in the car trunk...walk away...come back in an hour...open the trunk and see which one is still happy to see you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A large aggressive dog can be worth his/her weight in gold as far as being a HD unit...they enjoy the work, and you have perimeter warning system that only requires food and companionship.
    It doesn't have to be large. My tiny shi-tzu can hear someone set foot on the driveway or anywhere in the yard.

Supposedly shi-tzus were bread to be watch dogs at Chinese castles thousands of years ago.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

I have a dog that sleeps through almost anything,but she's 11 years old and when she was younger she would bark at a cricket fart,I think i'm gonna have to get another puppy to help her out in her old age.For somebody to get my gun they would have to get it off my night stand i'm wondering if homeowner didn't reach for gun and BG jumped him before he could shoot him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Agreed on the use of a dog.
    I keep Akita but any dog that by nature is alert and can bark will do, regardless of size and strength.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    It doesn't have to be large. My tiny shi-tzu can hear someone set foot on the driveway or anywhere in the yard.

Supposedly shi-tzus were bread to be watch dogs at Chinese castles thousands of years ago.
    Correct you are...I just like big dogs...but if you were being trapped between a 6 lb. Chihuahua and a 100 lb. German Shepherd...which would be more likely to try and run through?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed on the use of a dog.
    I keep Akita but any dog that by nature is alert and can bark will do, regardless of size and strength.

- Janq
    You have Aklitas? We breed them have three mom dad and a daughter. So far all three get along great. They are the most majestic dog ever, can't ever go any where with them without being constantly stopped by people admiring them. IMO no other dog even comes close, never heard of anyone who has had one willing to go with another breed. So yours bark? I have never heard an Akita bark they talk to us all the time, some folks think they are growling. I have only seen/heard them growl twice now that is a fierce sight sound, my brothers wolf looks like a lamb in comparison. Makes the hair on the back of my head stand on end.
    On topic, as you said most any dog can be excellent watch dogs. Smaller breeds actually seem to make the best watch dogs probably due to their size they need to be more alert. As long as they don't yap at everything until they are like that car alarm that is always going off no pays any mind to.

Correct you are...I just like big dogs...but if you were being trapped between a 6 lb. Chihuahua and a 100 lb. German Shepherd...which would be more likely to try and run through?
    Thats the distinction between a watch dog and a guard dog. Watch dogs watch warn, guard dogs protect. We think of ours as primarily as watch dogs just to give us a head up when we need it. Our home invasion plan has the dogs staying with the wife & girls. Than as the last line of defense for my family if the BG manages to drop me. Though our big guy is not much of a watch dogs he lays back and waits.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Yep LR, I'm a very long time fancier of the breed and have had much experience with them.

My current turns three next month. Excellent animals and companions although most definitely not for everyone, nor do I suggest as much IRL to most folk who ask. They are much more than a handful in all ways. Definitely not an average or typical dog in manner, behavior, nor intellect and do not entertain unless you are steeped in dog behavior method.

Yes they do definitely bark. The yodel and vocalization most commonly associated to them is what they do amongst their pack(dog) and owners as well as friend status beings.
    As to when they are in yellow mode their demeanor is goes from Jekyll to Hyde. Most Akita do not give warnings such as growls and posturing. Generally they just use their presence and focus of gaze to impose their will, and demand submission, toward what ever being might be unfortunate enough to hit their radar. If there is a growl is usually barely perceptible. I can usually feel it through the leash but by that point if that is when one is just noticing the dog is not liking something, or someone, then they must be completely daft and literally born seconds prior. The animals make it known and impossible to miss that they do not like *.* when and if such occurs.

Excellent guard dogs they are and family protectors.
    Physically strong as hell, willful (which if unchecked can very easily turn to obstinance), mindful and very smart/clever for dogs (much like a cat), and beautiful animals in general. People do and have with my past Akita comment to the latter most every time I'm out in public.
    They are huge hams too with a strong goof ball temperment when around people they like. Pretty much they are black or white. Either they like you and see you as a friend or...it's get the he** away from my porch/house/master/pups/world...

Oh, and most every Akita is highly animal intolerant.
    They are not animals to be allowed off leash aside from strongly and well fenced land, and forget about a dog park or exercising off leash where there might be other dogs. That is a non-starter. I could talk about that factor alone for an hour as based on other people and their off-leash 'oh he's friendly' animals approaching mine.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep LR, I'm a very long time fancier of the breed and have had much experience with them.

My current turns three next month. Excellent animals and companions although most definitely not for everyone, nor do I suggest as much IRL to most folk who ask. They are much more than a handful in all ways. Definitely not an average or typical dog in manner, behavior, nor intellect and do not entertain unless you are steeped in dog behavior method.

Yes they do definitely bark. The yodel and vocalization most commonly associated to them is what they do amongst their pack(dog) and owners as well as friend status beings.
    As to when they are in yellow mode their demeanor is goes from Jekyll to Hyde. Most Akita do not give warnings such as growls and posturing. Generally they just use their presence and focus of gaze to impose their will, and demand submission, toward what ever being might be unfortunate enough to hit their radar. If there is a growl is usually barely perceptible. I can usually feel it through the leash but by that point if that is when one is just noticing the dog is not liking something, or someone, then they must be completely daft and literally born seconds prior. The animals make it known and impossible to miss that they do not like *.* when and if such occurs.

Excellent guard dogs they are and family protectors.
    Physically strong as hell, willful (which if unchecked can very easily turn to obstinance), mindful and very smart/clever for dogs (much like a cat), and beautiful animals in general. People do and have with my past Akita comment to the latter most every time I'm out in public.
    They are huge hams too with a strong goof ball temperment when around people they like. Pretty much they are black or white. Either they like you and see you as a friend or...it's get the he** away from my porch/house/master/pups/world...

Oh, and most every Akita is highly animal intolerant.
    They are not animals to be allowed off leash aside from strongly and well fenced land, and forget about a dog park or exercising off leash where there might be other dogs. That is a non-starter. I could talk about that factor alone for an hour as based on other people and their off-leash 'oh he's friendly' animals approaching mine.

- Janq
    I missed this I think they are the best dogs by far you are right not for everyone. Animals that can kill bears are not to be trifled. That said they are most excellent animals. They have been in my family for generations on both sides of the pacific. We have been breeding them for about eleven years and are very selective about who gets them. I would hate for some morons get these beautiful animals a bad rap. My aunt brought back our male from Japan when she went home to visit family five six years ago. He is great at dog parks and we have pics of him with cocktails walking on his back. He did take a dislike to a beautiful pit that took off with his mate over night and dropped him the next morning when they came back. Most of the time though as long as dogs understand he is boss they are OK. Took my brothers wolf awhile to understand that but they are best of buds now. In all their little battles he never tried to put a hurt on the wolf would just knock him down and pin him. Our ***** is a fawn with a black mask she is a lover but highly territorial and intolerant of animals not part of the household. She thinks that our siamese cat is one of her pups and protects her when her real daughter a brindle gets to playful with the cat. She (the daughter) and the cat play all day long, the cat is actually her pet. The cat will sit and wait by the door when she is out doing her business. The baby of the family is just that the baby and the happy happy dog. All have very distinct strong personalities. Like our male is the protector of babies and children of all species. All of them are leery of people until they know who they are but he immediately takes to any child or baby in the house. He will sit all day at an infants side and as soon as the baby makes a peep he is getting the mother. Interestingly they know what every persons role is as long as they stick to their role they are fine. Break away from it and they get a put in check quickly. They do OK with our turkeys as well but we do keep and eye on them so far the turkeys have stood their own ground pretty well. Anyway I could ramble on for days about our Akitas. Have some web pages about Akitas that I need to update.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Side note...
    A dog will almost always be faithful and trusting...here's a little experiment...put your dog and your wife in the car trunk...walk away...come back in an hour...open the trunk and see which one is still happy to see you...
    Ret... I just told that to my wife...

And I quote: "Oh, I'd be happy to see you... but guess which one of us will be holding the tire iron and beat the crap out of you when you open the trunk!"

A feisty one, isn't she?

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Size Of The Dog Doesn't Really Matter, As Long As My Dog Alerts Me....me And Smith&wesson Will Settle The Problem(i Pray)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links