"Give me the money. Thank you. Click... Foot chase ensues.

This is a discussion on "Give me the money. Thank you. Click... Foot chase ensues. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect -- dailypress.com After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect A restaurant manager ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Give me the money. Thank you. Click... Foot chase ensues.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"Give me the money. Thank you. Click... Foot chase ensues.

After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect -- dailypress.com

After gun fails, an instant posse helps police nab suspect
    A restaurant manager and her customers chase the man who fled with a Taco Bell bag of cash.

By VERONICA GORLEY CHUFO | 247-4741
    June 24, 2008

SUFFOLK -

Former Taco Bell employee Deon Gatling, 19, of Sunbury, N.C., was charged with one count each of armed robbery and attempted malicious wounding and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He was being held Monday at the Western Tidewater Regional Jail in Suffolk, said Suffolk Police Lt. Debbie George said.

Police said Gatling had a gun and demanded money from a Taco Bell manager on Sunday. She handed it over, but Gatling pulled the trigger.

The gun didn't fire, police said, but it provoked the manager to chase the robber in her vehicle while calling police on her cell phone.

Up to a dozen business owners, store employees and others followed, chasing Gatling into the woods behind the Farm Fresh plaza, where the restaurant is located, on North Main Street, just north of downtown Suffolk.

Police found him 45 minutes later when someone spotted him trying to escape the woods. A Taco Bell bag with him was full of money, police said, and a loaded gun was found in the restaurant's parking lot.

Capt. Stephanie Burch, who heads the criminal investigations section, said she was pleased with residents' willingness to get involved — police probably wouldn't have nabbed the suspect without their help.

But she recommends caution.

"This situation could have been very dangerous," Burch said. "This particular suspect was reported to have a firearm, and we would never want to have our citizens injured trying to assist us. Our citizens can always be helpful by being great witnesses, without putting themselves in harm's way."

How much more dangerous could it have been?

Enquiring minds want to know...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    How much more dangerous could it have been?

Enquiring minds want to know...
    If any of the 'posse', business owners, employees, or enraged citizens had been legaly armed and carrying.......it'd ended up being real dangerous..............for the suspect!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If I had been there, I'd like to believe had I had a clear shot while the suspect was facing away from me I'd not have hesitated to shoot him in the back in the defense of others.

Indiana castle doctrine does allow the legal use of force for the defense of ourselves or third parties.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

One click does not necessarily mean it will be followed by a second click...

This scumbag is going to have a long vacation...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So does that mean he will also get attempted murder even though the gun failed to fire?

Elyria, Ohio, very recently, a similar case ... but instead of CLICK it went BANG and a young woman is dead.
    She cooperated, she gave him the cash, she did not resist, and she was murdered anyway.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I don't care where it is or whats going on you pull a gun to commit a crime and I'm thinking you plan to use it they will probably never hear the shot that kills them,just because it's a head shot doesn't mean i was trying to kill him it just means i didn't want him to be able to pull the trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

These criminals need to have a "posse" go after them. That way we will save our tax money which feeds these criminals in jail. An armed posse is no joke.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Can somebody explain to me why "malicious wounding" is even a charge? Deliberately pulling the trigger of a gun pointed at another human being is attempted murder any way I look at it.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    If I had been there, I'd like to believe had I had a clear shot while the suspect was facing away from me I'd not have hesitated to shoot him in the back in the defense of others.

Indiana castle doctrine does allow the legal use of force for the defense of ourselves or third parties.
    Ok, I'd like to know how you would justify defending someone if the suspect was fleeing.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

If the Mgr would have had a gun.... they wouldn't have had to chase him, and there may have never been a "click" first. So, the robber needs to thank someone for protecting him from a funeral.

In Kansas, it does cover "in defense of others".

Gatling had a gun
    Ironic
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    Ok, I'd like to know how you would justify defending someone if the suspect was fleeing.
    A clearly articulable belief that suspect's continued actions constituted a deadly threat to the public. Works for cops, should work for the rest of us...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

But, but, the Brady Bunch says to cooperate and nothing bad will happen...

I recently saw an article where someone got pummeled while defending themselves by hand. The LEO (I think it was in the UK) then proceeded to warn it was dangerous to try and fight back with your hands. I guess you should just lie there and let someone beat the crap out of you until they get tired. The UK - now going to outlaw closed fists!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links