Woman killed after taking homeless man in for the night

This is a discussion on Woman killed after taking homeless man in for the night within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman killed after taking homeless man in for the night -- dailypress.com NEWPORT NEWS - A Newport News woman was killed in her home overnight, ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Woman killed after taking homeless man in for the night -- dailypress.com

NEWPORT NEWS - A Newport News woman was killed in her home overnight, possibly by a homeless man whom she had taken in for the night.

The victim, described as being in her 50s, has not been identified by police. The suspect, also believed to be in his 50s, is in custody.

Police spokesman Lou Thurston said officers responded to a residence in the 1300 block of 25th Street after receiving a phone call from a neighbor at 7:18 a.m. They found the woman dead inside the house and the suspect standing outside.

Thurston said detectives have not yet determined a time of death, but they believe the suspect is the same man who made a series of anonymous phone calls from pay phones around the souttheastern part of the city during the night and early morning claiming to have killed a woman.

In each of the phone calls, Thurston said, the anonymous caller gave a different location. Officers repeatedly tried to follow up on the calls but never found a body. While trying to track the source of the calls, Thurston said, they found a man who "seemed out of place." They spoke with the man but had no evidence that linked him to the phone calls or any crimes.

When they arrived at the residence on 25th Street this morning, that man was outside the home. He was taken into custody and is being questioned by police. He has not yet been charged.

Thurston said detectives do not know whether the woman was killed before or after the anonymous phone calls were made.

Anyone with information can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I just don"t understand how people can trust someone they don't even know and allow them to stay in their home.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

This is terrible.

.....but I wonder how that lady made to the age of 50 by having so little common sense?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Darwin.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Yeah, imagine my surprise when my wife informed me we had a house-guest. When I asked her who, she said it was some lady that she had known for 1 day, whom she had met in training at her new job. She was transferring in from LA and couldn't afford the expensive Budget Suites while she was here making minimum wage for training.

After meeting the woman I agreed to it, but gave my wife a real dressing down about inviting someone you don't know to come into our home like that. The other day the lady asked if she could bring her THREE kids to our house because she missed them.

I said sorry, but no. Then my wife told me she had informed this lady that I had guns that are not in a safe.

talk about Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... I'm still fuming over that one.

Certainly a bad situation that was partially caused by the victim...hard to fix 'stupid'...sad to hear that someone had to die over being stupid!
    This homeless man will no longer be homeless...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 25th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have said this before; many street people have mental, drug, alcohol abuse, or some combination of the above problems. Many carry some type of edged weapon. It just goes with life on the streets. While I do feel bad that this occurs I help by donating to charity and paying very high taxes that a large portion of goes to fund social programs. I don’t take strangers into my home.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Man on man some people never learn. Its a shame that we can help out people anymore. There are those that truly need help but will never get it because of these kind of stories.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Yeah, imagine my surprise when my wife informed me we had a house-guest. When I asked her who, she said it was some lady that she had known for 1 day, whom she had met in training at her new job. She was transferring in from LA and couldn't afford the expensive Budget Suites while she was here making minimum wage for training.

After meeting the woman I agreed to it, but gave my wife a real dressing down about inviting someone you don't know to come into our home like that. The other day the lady asked if she could bring her THREE kids to our house because she missed them.

I said sorry, but no. Then my wife told me she had informed this lady that I had guns that are not in a safe.

talk about Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... I'm still fuming over that one.
    See what she says if you tell her you met a 19 yo female aerobics instructor whose roomie just kicked her out, and she needs a place to stay. The sweet little lady would be soooo grateful... What's the problem? The personal risk is the same.

Not many things I'm that hardcore about, but an uninvited house guest would have me in the Budget Suite until my wife decided who made a better "house guest." Feel for ya'.

Administrator
    When you allow your heart to get in front of your head sometimes the end result is that your heart stops beating forever.

Shame...
    Likely a nice and very compassionate and caring woman that met her early unexpected demise at the hand of a true low-life scumbag.

She absolutely suffered a real lack of judgment but, I'll not celebrate her death just for being a bit too giving of her charitable spirit. RIP
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links