Good: Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers (P.G. County, MD)

This is a discussion on Good: Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers (P.G. County, MD) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by The Washington Post: CRIME Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers By Clarence Williams and Martin Weil Washington Post Staff Writers Sunday, June ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers (P.G. County, MD)

Good: Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers (P.G. County, MD)

As reported by The Washington Post:

CRIME
    Secret Service Officer Thwarts Armed Robbers

By Clarence Williams and Martin Weil
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Sunday, June 29, 2008; Page C04

Armed robbers tried to take a motorcycle last night from an off-duty officer in the uniformed division of the Secret Service, but the officer fired a shot to thwart the attempt, a Secret Service spokesman said.

The officer was unhurt in the confrontation, which occurred in the Largo area of Prince George's County, but the vehicle in which the robbers fled was later found bloody and abandoned, the spokesman said.

The incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. at a restaurant area on Capital Centre Boulevard. Four men in a sport-utility vehicle drove up to the officer, and two got out, one of them with a gun. He ordered the officer to lie down while the other took the motorcycle. The officer fired his pistol at the gun-wielding robber. Abandoning the motorcycle, the robbers fled in the SUV, which was found later in the District.

The story can be found at; washingtonpost.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Kudos...but I left wondering how it would of played out with legal if it was a CCWer that took the shot.

Rick

Clearly a result of the Heller decision. Had SCOTUS not overturned the District's ban on handguns, the thugs in question could not have been armed.........

......right?

Bloody vehicle found. I wonder if the perps abandoned their friend or took him to the hospital. I hope he gets to meet his maker.
    NRA Member

When I shoot the first round is immediately followed by a second one,less chance of BG returning fire and helps with the blood flow
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When I shoot the first round is immediately followed by a second one,less chance of BG returning fire and helps with the blood flow
    So very true.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

If one round stops the threat then you would not be justified in firing a second round.

Also, with more than one adversary you should be putting one round in each adversary and then coming back to repeat as needed. I'll bet the Agent fired one round and then assessed the other threats. In that time the bullet recipient ceased being a threat, so he was not justified in shooting the "threat" again.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If one round stops the threat then you would not be justified in firing a second round.

Also, with more than one adversary you should be putting one round in each adversary and then coming back to repeat as needed.

Biker

The second shot would be delivered before the first arrived.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Read my post again, I edited it.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Read my post again, I edited it.
    Gotcha.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Beautiful!

Not even a week after Heller and "blood is running in the streets of DC". It's OK if BG blood runs in the streets isn't it?

I'm sure the BGs never gave it a thought that their about 'to be vic' was a packing LEO. Just imagine; what if we all packed?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Beautiful!

Not even a week after Heller and "blood is running in the streets of DC". It's OK if BG blood runs in the streets isn't it?

I'm sure the BGs never gave it a thought that their about 'to be vic' was a packing LEO. Just imagine; what if we all packed?
    I believe it would effect the crime rates, at least the 'repeat offender' rates!

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For folk who are not of or from the local area, MD does _not_ support citizen carry aside from a very few especially fortunate/wealthy/connected persons as per official allowance upon review and permission of the State Police.

The victim in this case is a Federal law enforcement officer who happened to be authorized per his position to carry across all jurisdictions and into MD.

Had this person been an every day Joe or Jane such as me or anyone else, he would have been arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm, carry of a concealed weapon, assault with a deadly weapon, and if there was a formal residences around within 500' then that would be discharge of a firearm near a residence. Aside from possession all of the above are felonies in MD.
    An infamous MD case toward this scenario played out 5 yrs. ago when a resident who was not a LEO used a firearm to successfully defend his car from robbers. He wound up being hit with numerous charges including murder (one robber died) and he was sent to prison.

So once again it's only the privileged few who are allowed to carry in MD, and thus endorsed toward defending themselves and/or their property by means of arms. Had this story been a civilian citizen the bent and reporting would be different as would the law enforcement result. Assuming the victim would have stuck around to tell his tale or report the incident at all.

- Janq

"Membership has it's privileges." - American Express.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I wonder if he will get into trouble over this at work. Sometimes, law enforcement officers have to be particularly careful if they use their gun off duty.
    I hope all goes fine for him.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links