Grandma shoots intruder with .38

This is a discussion on Grandma shoots intruder with .38 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; STORY A 66-year-old grandmother is giving new meaning to the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas." Susan Gaylord Buxton of Arlington, Texas, shot an intruder who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandma shoots intruder with .38

VIP Member

STORY

A 66-year-old grandmother is giving new meaning to the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas." Susan Gaylord Buxton of Arlington, Texas, shot an intruder who broke into her home using the .38-caliber handgun she keeps by her bedside. The intruder, Christopher Lessner, 22, suffered a leg wound and is now in jail.

"I was scared, I was terrified and I was really, really angry that he was in my house," Buxton said. "He could have harmed me or my granddaughter."

Buxton, a cartoonist and an artist, had already gone to bed for the night. But at 12:45 a.m. on Wednesday, she got up to let one of her puppies outside. She took her gun with her in case a coyote tried to attack her dog in the yard.

On her way downstairs, Buxton noticed that her granddaughter, Mandy Davis, was awake because she had heard a noise like breaking glass. Buxton walked out on her back porch and let her dog out, who began sniffing two big muddy footprints on the porch — a red flag, since they hadn't any rain in about six weeks.

Then Buxton and Davis noticed other odd things: the door to a backroom was ajar allowing the family cats to escape and other items in the room were in disarray. They discussed calling the police, but instead decided to methodically check the house on their own — with a spotlight and her gun in hand.

After checking the entire house, they realized the only place they hadn't checked was the coat closet — and there was Lessner.

"This big, 6-foot-1, really big, buff man jumped out," Buxton said.

As Buxton dealt with the intruder, Davis called 911 to get help.

Lessner was on the run from police who were trying to ticket him for speeding in a stolen car earlier that night.

Buxton ordered Lessner to "get down" but he refused. She fired one warning shot into the air and then she shot him in the leg. But Lessner still managed to run out the front door.

Police apprehended him near Buxton's home.

"They found him bleeding and cowering on a neighbor's balcony," Buxton said.

Buxton has owned a handgun for 12 years, but this was her first time shooting anybody, she said. Buxton bought the gun 12 years ago after she says someone tried to kidnap one of her grandchildren while she was baby-sitting.

She has taken a shooting course where she was trained to aim for the torso, but she said she aimed for the leg instead.

"I didn't want to kill him," Buxton said.

The police took Buxton's gun as part of the investigation. In the meantime, she's carrying her other gun, a 9-millimeter semi-automatic. Buxton has a permit to carry a handgun and will not be charged with a crime because she was defending herself.

Lessner is facing charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, evading arrest, criminal mischief and criminal trespass. Now that he's out of the hospital, he's sitting in jail.

"I'm glad he's in jail," Buxton said. "That's where he belongs."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I saw a interview with her on Fox News last night. Glad everything worked out ok. I really think she needs some more training in regards to shot placement. A warning shot in the air??? A leg shot??? I understand her not wanting to kill the guy, but deadly force is deadly force. It was the BGs choice to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. He could easily have overpowered her and taken the gun at that range.

As far as the police taking the .38 for the investigation I think it is B.S. but understand it is standard operating procedure. This is a important reason to have more than one handgun.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Assistant Administrator
    Well she did good as it happens - but yes, her training did not kick in properly.

The perp would have been wise to ''get down'' tho unlikely for a big guy like that - but she was severely at risk anyways. Therefore once she felt a need to actually shoot in self defence, and having effectively given a warning all bets were off and COM shots should have been applied. Doubt that guy would have gotten out from most of us here - other than in bad shape or worse!

The house clearance method was dangerous - it is not difficult to imagine the closet exploding open and the perp just barreling his way to freedom or even snatching the gun - but then hey - as ever - we weren't there

Good maybe tho - in this case - at least she dear lady has no death to make her lose sleep at nights.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some people will just never commit themselves to doing what has to be done to stop someone ASAP.

It does prove that Sam Colt made us equal however. Even with imperfect application, she won.

My grandmother would shoot you twice in the torso, twice in the head, once in the junk, and then go get her box of wadcutters, reload, and then keep shooting until the police arrived...

Lead Moderator
    Well, she may need some training, but she got the job done! That's what counts most.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

She was great. I would not tell any of my students to talk to the media about the inncident but it was wonderful to hear her story. For once the truth about why we carry gets some headlines. She is good PR for all of us.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

'nother video of the lady here
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Vi...p?vidId=38115&

Couldn't help laughing my hiney off listening to the 911 tape :D

Glad everything worked out, could've been a lot more ugly.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with those who said she did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    They discussed calling the police, but instead decided to methodically check the house on their own — with a spotlight and her gun in hand.

Mistake #1. They KNOW someone is either in the house, or was in the house. With all the signs, they should've left immediately and called the police. ALWAYS call the police. What the hell kind of back-up is her granddaughter? If this guy had beaten them down, there is a good chance that no one would've known for days or weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Buxton ordered Lessner to "get down" but he refused. She fired one warning shot into the air and then she shot him in the leg. But Lessner still managed to run out the front door.

Mistake #2. NEVER fire a warning shot and never shoot to wound. Where was her gun aimed while firing this warning shot? Bingo. NOT at the threat.

I usually applaud people who take out their own trash, but this lady is damn lucky to be alive, because if this guy had the strength to run to another home, he had the strength to whoop her a** and take her gun. Her actions could've gotten her neighbor killed by letting him escape. If you're justified in shooting him, do it properly. She even admitted that she was trained to shoot center mass, but didn't want to kill him. I wonder if she would've felt the same way if he beat her down and raped her granddaughter?
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Interceptor, you are dead on it. My dad a Vietnam Veteran took his CCW class and apparently the guy was telling them to shoot to wound. This logic was also passed to my mom. Nope, mom shoot center mass to stop the threat. You are right first thing I thought was you shot him where. Geez...and he ran away she could have gotten whooped if the guy was murderer. Second, I really love my 38 but I doubt the old lady had +P ammo in the pistol. if you are going to carry a 38 carry the hot stuff because you need all the advantage you can get.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Saw another segment on FOX's Hannity & Combs tonight about this story...only from the other side. They had some bleedin' heart liberal gun grabber from one of the "Blah Blah Against Gun Violence" groups spewing the usual crap about how bad guns are in the hands of ordinary citizens.

When asked if he would have a gun in the home to protect himself and his family, to keep his wife or daughters from being raped or murdered, he exclaimed he was ready for any intruder with his trusty baseball bat, and that his groups view (regardless of the courts interpretation), was that the constitutional meaning of the 2nd ammendments "well regulated militia" did not pertain to an individuals right, but a military right only.

Funny...all this from a guy who lives in Washington D.C, the murder capitol of the USA! Some people are just plain stupid...what else can ya say!!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Shegot the job done for now thats all that counts ... but yeah she could use some more training

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke45
    the 2nd ammendments "well regulated militia" did not pertain to an individuals right, but a military right only.
    When are these "people" going to realize that when the 2nd was written the well regulated militia WAS the individuals....... All of them, usually between the ages of 16 and 60!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    While she did fend off an intruder, hopefully she will think thru what happened and how she could have reacted better. Glad she was unhurt.

What about the crimanaly STUPID behaviour of the 911 operator? telling her to stop shooting?!! Arn't those operators trained to assit in a crisis? For instance give 1st aid or CPR instructions over the phone. Why wasn't she saying "focus on the front sight, squeeze the trigger, two to the head," etc?
    Oh, someday, in an enlightened society maybe...
    Yep no doubt Granny nneds some training, but she survied. Hopefully some of her local CCW instructors will offer her some lessons and hopefully she will be wise enough to take them.

Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links