Southeast Roanoke pharmacy

Southeast Roanoke pharmacy

This is a discussion on Southeast Roanoke pharmacy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1 dead, 1 hurt in robbery attempt - Roanoke.com A failed attempt to rob a Southeast Roanoke pharmacy left the owner injured and a suspect ...

Thread: Southeast Roanoke pharmacy

VIP Member

Thumbs down Southeast Roanoke pharmacy

1 dead, 1 hurt in robbery attempt - Roanoke.com

A failed attempt to rob a Southeast Roanoke pharmacy left the owner injured and a suspect dead early Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Officers were called just after 3 p.m. to Sanco Drug in the 1200 block of Riverland Road, according to police spokeswoman Aisha Johnson. They found two males who had suffered gunshot wounds.

Johnson said a victim, who was identified later in the day as Sanco owner and chief pharmacist Bob Kennedy, was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. She said the other victim is a suspect in the attempted robbery of the store. He was pronounced dead at the scene. She said they are still trying to determine his identity.

Hospital spokesman Eric Earnhart said Kennedy, 61, of Hardy had been treated and released.

Kennedy, reached at home Tuesday night, said he did not wish to discuss the incident.

Sanco Drug sits near the Roanoke River, adjacent to Riverland Road's notoriously busy intersection with Garden City Boulevard.

Shane Spradlin, who lives on nearby Goodman Road, said he was sitting in his car at the stoplight when he saw a man with a black sweatshirt over his head going into the pharmacy.

"He was just in a hurry," Spradlin said. He said he then heard what he thought was a gunshot, followed by four more reports.

"I couldn't tell who was shooting at who," he recalled.

The pharmacy has been the target of at least three attempted robberies in the past 10 years.

In 1999, a gunman tried to rob the store but fled after a clerk called police.

The following year, a Roanoke couple, armed with a BB pistol, tried to steal a bottle of the painkiller Oxycontin, but the pharmacist set off the alarm.

In 2003, a knife-wielding man was arrested after he tried to force the pharmacist to fill a prescription that was invalid.

"Somebody a couple weeks ago tried to rob him but he run them off," said Willie Salyers of Pike Street, who said he's lived in the neighborhood for 40 years.

Nick Carr of Garden City Boulevard said Kennedy eventually reinforced the entrance with steel security bars.

"My wife's pregnant and that's where we usually get prescriptions filled," said Andrew Wright, who lives nearby. "Town ain't safe nowhere no more."
    I hate it when they call the perp a vic.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 2nd, 2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Tragedy. Just another drug-laced murderer out for some kicks and a bottle of something to ease the pain. What a world.

Condolences to the families involved.

Isn't it just like the Roanoke Times to publish the names/locations of folks? Same sods who published the full Virgina CHL list of carriers, awhile back. In this case, they've omitted the actual address, but this eye-witness to a murder has now had his name and street of residence published for the criminal to see. Good on ya, Roanoke Times. Not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Shopkeeper fends of Robber

WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville | Police identify clerk & suspect shot in Southeast Roanoke attempted robbery

Police say one man is dead and a store clerk is wounded following a shooting at a drug store in southeast Roanoke.

Officers say there was an attempted robbery at the Sanco drug store on Riverland Road, near Garden City Boulevard, around 3:00 Tuesday afternoon. When officers arrived, they found two males who had been shot.

Roanoke Police say the robbery suspect, 22-year-old Corey Scott Ramsey of Roanoke, was shot and killed inside the store.

The store's owner, 61-year-old Robert Kennedy, was transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. He has since been released.

Police say Ramsey entered the store and attempted to commit a robbery. According to police, the store's owner then brandished a firearm. Authorities say a struggle occurred between the two. According to a news release, Kennedy shot himself and then Ramsey.

Several people who know Kennedy say he's been robbed several times over the last few years. It had become such a problem, he had bars put up near the doors and covered the front windows with bricks.

This isn't the first time a robbery has turned deadly in the area. Just down the road in October of 2005, a store owner was shot and killed at Ameilo's Market. Family and friends of Bob Kennedy are relieved the latest incident didn't have similar results.

"It's devastating," says Fallon Arthur. "I just couldn't believe anyone could do such a thing to a nice guy."

Click here to view map of where shooting occurred

Police continue to investigate. Anyone with information is asked to call the Roanoke Police Department at 853-5959 or Crime Line at 344-8500.

+1 to the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4
    +1 to the good guys.
    Agreed. Not so sure that the warning shot was a good idea, though
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I don't see where a warning shot was fired,but the brandishing a gun thingy is IMHO ridiculous if you pull a gun be prepared to shoot or you may end up fighting for it like this guy did he's lucky the robber is dead and not the other way around
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would say that Mr. Kennedy is very lucky to be alive. I hope this prompts him to invest some time and effort into getting the needed training and practice. Just owning a gun for self defense is not enough unless you can count on your luck - not the best of plans usually.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't see where a warning shot was fired
    According to a news release, Kennedy shot himself and then Ramsey.
    Small joke ;-)
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Lets review the facts.

Getting robbed...

Owning a weapon for defense...

Shooting yourself during a robbery...

Shooting the suspect during a robbery...

Killing the robber scumbag and ending his career...

Stay armed...24/7...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    When I worked in the City this shop had seen a couple of robberies in the past and the store owner was a very nice individual. I guess he had just had enough of being robbed.

From a Roanoke Times article:
    Sanco owner and chief pharmacist Bob Kennedy brandished a gun and a struggle took place between the two men, [police spokeswoman] Johnson said.
    The store's owner brandished a firearm, eh. Police are claiming this?

I've got to assume this is simply ignorant use of the word "brandish," confusing the meaning with "display."

'Cause, they can't possibly mean to suggest that someone defending his/her own life is really instead criminally intimidating others by displaying or waving around a gun with evil intent. Defending one's life and the lives of others is hardly that. Dukalmighty has it right. Lunacy to claim this is brandishing.

Virginia police, hm? They've been in the news a lot, the past year or two, for such things. Seems that they've got to pump up the volume with their training regimen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links