Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk

This is a discussion on Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk | Kansas.com Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk BY CHRISTINA M. WOODS The Wichita Eagle Jaime Oppenheimer/The ...

Thread: Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk

Visiting teen shot, killed after car honk | Kansas.com

BY CHRISTINA M. WOODS
    The Wichita Eagle

Jaime Oppenheimer/The Wichita Eagle
    Ida Staten stands in the room where her niece, Iesha Donaby, died after being shot with a gun outside Staten's home at 3016 E. 11th St. Her last words were, "I'm dying. I'm dying. I've been hit." There was a very distinct bloody hand print on the carper in this room where she collapsed and died.
    Sign and read a condolence book for Iesha Donaby

How to report tips

Police are asking anyone with information about the shooting death of Iesha Donaby to call Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111 (toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS).

Shequita Staten's ringtone, "Never Would Have Made It" by gospel artist Marvin Sapp, blasted as she talked about the shooting death of her 17-year-old cousin, Iesha Donaby.

"It was crazy how it all went down," she said.

Donaby was riding Monday night with Staten and a 17-year-old boy, heading south on Hillside behind a white car, police said. The two cars turned right onto 11th Street, police said, and then the white car stopped.

Staten said she waited, then honked at the white car as she went around. The three teenagers arrived at their destination, a home at 11th and Lorraine, and were walking to the front door when a man got out of the white car.

He didn't speak, Staten said.

Instead, he shot at them. Donaby, who was struck several times, was pronounced dead around 11:55 p.m. at Wesley Medical Center, police said.

Donaby was from West Helena, Ark., and was visiting family in Wichita.

The family is offering a $5,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest.

Tuesday afternoon, family members ushered reporters beyond the front door, which was marked with the handwritten words "Enter as guests... leave as friends," to see blood and handprints lingering in the home.

Donaby, the family said, stumbled into the house to say she had been hit and that she was dying before she collapsed.

"I feel like I'm in a nightmare and can't get up," said her aunt, Ida Staten, who lives at the house.

Katherine Staten, another aunt, said her niece was smart, loved track and basketball, would have graduated from high school next year and "was not a trouble child at all."

Katherine Staten said her brother called Donaby's parents and relayed the news.

The family plans to bury her in Arkansas on Saturday, Katherine Staten said.

"She's the first young loss we've had," said Katherine Staten, adding that Donaby's mom is one of 18 children. "She's the first loss we've had in 12 years."

Katherine Staten said her sister, Donaby's mother, had started calling more frequently, asking to talk with her daughter and telling her to come home.

Donaby was packed and ready to leave Wichita on Thursday -- before the Fourth of July holiday. Family members said she'd been in town since late May.

"It was like a mother's intuition," Katherine Staten said.

The Rev. Peggy Elliott, who has been facilitating citywide race-related dialogues and prayer walks through Wichita neighborhoods devastated by violence, learned about the shooting from The Eagle.

"It's to the point where any one death is a critical mass," she said. "And we're at a critical mass. And I recognize that there's got to be something going on with individuals experiencing that much lack at valuing life."

Elliott said she'd like to see more men and area pastors hit the streets -- even on weekends and in early-morning hours -- praying and interacting with people to improve safety. Elliott said a community can't be healed if it doesn't feel safe.

"My heart's cry is, men get up, get out," Elliott said. "It's not going to be comfortable. It's going to be time-consuming."

The Rev. Riccardo Harris has already taken that pledge, talking against violence throughout the city after his son, Robert Ridge, was slain in January at a stoplight because the shooter didn't like the way Ridge looked at him. Harris was stunned hearing details about Donaby's shooting death, which occurred several blocks from where his son was shot.

"She comes here to die?" he said.

"I can't say the whole generation is lost," Harris said, "but these young men are lost if they think that's OK.... You can call it road rage if you want, but that's rage bottled up inside of them."

Kevin Jones, who lives in the 11th and Lorraine neighborhood, raised his concerns about the area as he walked by the duplex Tuesday afternoon.

"There's no safety out here," said Jones, who moved to Wichita three years ago.

Kathleen Staten, another aunt, said she hopes Wichitans don't dismiss the death because her niece was from out of town.

And, to the shooter, Kathleen Staten said, "Don't just walk away."

Reach Christina M. Woods

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Sad.I never use my horn unless it is absolutely a must.Even then it is a short beep with no hand signals or screaming.There are a lot of people on drugs in our day and age.There are also many with mental illness that take a variety of drugs.As we all know there are many angry people out there.I do not believe we need to walked around scared.Just do not antagonize the fruitcakes.Hope they catch the nut that did this.

I always wonder when people are slaughtered like this if the shooter has killed before without being caught? Cause he sure will kill again. The tough thing is since he has no known ties to the victim, without a witness it's going to be next to impossible for homicide investigators to track him down due to the apparent, random nature of the crime.

A serial killer in the making, if not already. It's for reasons like this that I am not generally friendly to strangers in the public space and why I keep my head on a swivel as if I expect trouble. You never know when trouble is intent on finding you.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Someone just warmed up Florida's death penalty bed yesterday. I hope it gets used more often now for all these cold blooded killers.
    NRA Member

Honking etiquette. There is the short burst, "toot" about a half second that alerts someone of your presence (or that the light turned green). Then there is the "laying on of the horn" while driving around the car, holding it down for several seconds. The latter of these two can cause unnecessary angst among the other driver.

It does not rise to the level of homicide, but the honker should be aware that the honkee might be a crazed lunatic and it would behoove them to drive with kindness. Many drivers feel invincible once they are behind the wheel,... the golden rule applies there as well.

It's sad that we have to be careful not to enrage these savages by modifying our behavior. There was a time when you could honk at some asshat that parked his car in the street in front of you without worrying about getting shot. Too many people today have this incredibly selfish sense of entitlement and feel like they have the right of way wherever they are. And if you "disrespect" them by asking them to move, or be quiet then the only way to save face is to shoot you. So we have to put up with line cutting, talking during movies, dumbasses standing in the middle of the street, etc. because if you say anything about it then you could get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozoki View Post
    It's sad that we have to be careful not to enrage these savages by modifying our behavior. There was a time when you could honk at some asshat that parked his car in the street in front of you without worrying about getting shot. Too many people today have this incredibly selfish sense of entitlement and feel like they have the right of way wherever they are. And if you "disrespect" them by asking them to move, or be quiet then the only way to save face is to shoot you. So we have to put up with line cutting, talking during movies, dumbasses standing in the middle of the street, etc. because if you say anything about it then you could get killed.

As for this young lady, she was shot for it. Prayers to her family. This is senseless! I dearly hope this O2 waster is caught soon and justice is swift!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Morons are proliferating like pods in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Sad.I never use my horn unless it is absolutely a must.Even then it is a short beep with no hand signals or screaming.There are a lot of people on drugs in our day and age.There are also many with mental illness that take a variety of drugs.As we all know there are many angry people out there.I do not believe we need to walked around scared.Just do not antagonize the fruitcakes.Hope they catch the nut that did this.
    It's the mentality that life has no value... you think it's only the mentally ill will kill you for nothing, think again... something similar to this happened in San Fransisco about a week ago or so where a father and his sons where all shot dead inside their car just because they reversed into an ally and blocked an MS13 gang member and his homeboys.

Just looking on some gang banger POS, or bumping into them by accident is enough for them to blow your brains outs... IMHO, life means nothing to these people.... you're not even a human being to them, just another notch in their gun butt/handle.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Links