GOOD: Woman Uses Handgun To Defend Herself - Austin, TX

This is a discussion on GOOD: Woman Uses Handgun To Defend Herself - Austin, TX within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | Austin woman shoots attacker in the face An Austin woman credits her handgun and her own ...

Thread: GOOD: Woman Uses Handgun To Defend Herself - Austin, TX

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Woman Uses Handgun To Defend Herself - Austin, TX

KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | Austin woman shoots attacker in the face

An Austin woman credits her handgun and her own quick thinking with saving her life after she shot a man who was trying to attack her. Leonie Burgos said the man scaled a fence outside her apartment near Barton Skyway and South Lamar.

When Burgos saw the man jump the fence, she ran inside and grabbed her .38 caliber pistol. She went back outside to see if the man had left. She said that's when he attacked her by tackling her to the ground from behind.

Bergos said she shot the man only after trying to scare him with the gun first.

"First I tried to point it up in his face so that he would see that I had a gun so he would take off running," said Burgos. "But he didn't."

Burgos said the man continued to hold her down and the two struggled. She said she pulled the trigger three times and did not know if she hit the man. He ran away before police arrived.

Thirty minutes later, a man went to the emergency room at Brackenridge Hospital with a gunshot wound to the face. Hospital personnel called police. An arrest warrant said Christopher Benavides,20, told police he intended to steal the woman's cell phone and sell it for cash before he was shot.

Benavides had two warrants out for his arrest at the time of the attack for criminal trespass and criminal mischief. He now faces a charge of robbery by assault, as well. Burgos is not facing any charges.
    Good for her, but I don't think she should have went back outside. Stay inside, call 911 on the cell, and be ready for anything. Luckily her gun wasn't taken and used against her in the struggle.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think she is very very lucky with the outcome...and a case for not what to do.

Rick

This should be an eye opener for anybody that is carrying a gun because they feel the presence of same will scare somebody off and are not prepared to shoot to stop a threat,she is lucky he didn't get the gun from her and shoot her ,she should of armed herself locked the doors and called 911 if "junior"breaks in junior gets several dollars in lead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes very good for her.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think she is very very lucky with the outcome...and a case for not what to do.

Rick
    Yep.

At least she had a gun and the willingness to use it, but she was VERY fortunate it turned out well for her due to all the mistakes she made. She needs to change her tactics asap or I doubt she'll survive another such attack.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Heh. The gun would probably bring more than any cell phone. She's very lucky.

For some reason I think the BG is speaking with a forked tongue, he's going to scale a fence, tackle Leonie from behind, hold her down, and say "If you give me your cell phone, I'll let you get up and I'll leave immediately?" Good for her for getting several shots off...but fortunately for her, she got away with breaking all the rules. I hope others will read her story and realize a BG is a BG is a BG, and even though they smile at you and sometimes talk and act nice, they are still a BG! Give them an inch and they'll take your life.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Was her last name Horn?

Glad everything came out allright.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links