Security Guard Shooting

This is a discussion on Security Guard Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sounds like the security guard was justified in shooting, watch the video, it's disturbing that someone who lives in that particular neighborhood would imply that ...

Thread: Security Guard Shooting

Security Guard Shooting

Sounds like the security guard was justified in shooting, watch the video, it's disturbing that someone who lives in that particular neighborhood would imply that it wasn't. That general area has had three fatal shootings (drive by's, home invasions, and this) in the last week or two.

ksl.com - Salt Lake police investigating deadly shooting

Salt Lake police investigating deadly shooting
    July 9th, 2008 @ 6:00pm
    By Marc Giauque and Sarah Dallof

A bullet fired on a Salt Lake City street at lunchtime killed a man. Now we're learning the gun may have been fired in self-defense.

The shooting happened during a confrontation between two men near 1400 South and West Temple. Witnesses say 47-year-old Mike James May, a transient in the area, began yelling at people who were sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation restaurant.

The witnesses say May took a swing at the customers, threatened them and a security guard and then reached inside his jacket or backpack. That's when the security guard pulled out his concealed weapon and fired. That single shot, which hit the May in the torso, was fatal.

Mark Cazares, co-owner of Mama's Southern Plantation, believes it's a case of self-defense. "For him [the security guard] to defend himself this way, he had to feel his life was in danger. He, once again, he was a Vietnam vet, so he's had to deal with weapons and things before. I'm sure this was a life-threatening situation to him," he said.

Neighbors who were on scene moments after the shooting say it's unsettling. "People don't seem to care anymore. They don't seem to care who they shoot or what they disturb. It's ridiculous!" said Ben Hollands, a resident who lives nearby.

Police say the security guard has been very cooperative with them and, as of about a half hour ago, they have decided not to book him. They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

2. Remove Ads

Hard one to call. I would hope people don't just 'shoot' because someone puts their hand in their pocket.... maybe "pull their gun" ... and if anything other than their hand comes out, well....

But, area/neighborhood, the guy's actions beforehand, what was said .. or implied, how he did it, and all kinds of things that we don't know...... this may have well been justified.

It's a very fine line between "jumping the gun" and "too late!"

He could have waited a bit longer to see what came out of the pack, but I wasn't there and give the benefit of the doubt to the man defending himself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would hope people don't just 'shoot' because someone puts their hand in their pocket....
    It wasn't just that...it said he'd already been swinging at people...to me that means he intends to do harm. I wouldn't wait to see what he had in his backpack or in his pocket either.

Hope things go well for him.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I'd be willing to bet that this went down so fast most of the customers and other witnesses didn't have a clue what was happening.

In close proximity - say close enough to take a swing at me - I'm not inclined to wait for your hand to clear your shirt/pocket/backpack/whatever.

Unfortunately, people almost always 'fill in the blanks' with faulty and speculative memories. I hope the customers right there where it happened are observant and articulate, for the guards sake.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I would hope people don't just 'shoot' because someone puts their hand in their pocket.... maybe "pull their gun" ... and if anything other than their hand comes out, well....
    He might not pull it out to shoot.

I was at a gun shop a little while back, and there was a guy shopping for a gun that he could fire without removing it from his pocket. The same thing could work with a backpack.

Like you said, it's a tough call.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Links