GOOD: Woman Chases Armed Intruders From Her Home - Ocala, FL

This is a discussion on GOOD: Woman Chases Armed Intruders From Her Home - Ocala, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman, .357 blazing, chases intruders from home | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL Woman, .357 blazing, chases intruders from home By AUSTIN L. MILLER ...

Thread: GOOD: Woman Chases Armed Intruders From Her Home - Ocala, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Woman Chases Armed Intruders From Her Home - Ocala, FL

Woman, .357 blazing, chases intruders from home | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

Woman, .357 blazing, chases intruders from home

By AUSTIN L. MILLER
    Star-Banner

Published: Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 5:52 p.m.
    Last Modified: Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 6:10 p.m.
    MARION COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
    Aaron Scott Beardsley

OCALA – Firing a .357-caliber handgun until it was empty, an Ocala woman chased two intruders from her home in the 3800 block of Southeast 68th Street on Wednesday morning.

Later Wednesday, Marion County sheriff's detectives had one home invasion suspect in custody and were looking for the second. Aaron Scott Beardsley, 25, was charged with armed home invasion robbery. Deputies were still looking for a heavy-set Hispanic male, about 6-foot-1 or 6-feet-2, who was wearing black shorts at the time, a dark T-shirt and a bandana.

Sheriff's Detective Art King, in his report, gave the following account of the crime:

Shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday, 29-year-old Jennifer Ann Hunley; her 27-year-old boyfriend, Michael Joseph Nash; and Hunley's 11-year-old daughter were inside their home when two men entered through the garage door. Nash, who was coming out of a bathroom at the time, saw one of the intruders holding a nail gun near the television set in the living room.

The man demanded money. At the same time Nash saw that the second suspect, armed with a handgun, was also in the living room. The one with the nail gun hit Nash on the head, and when he fell down both men began beating him.

Hunley came into the living room, saw what was happening, returned to her bedroom for a .357-caliber handgun and fired a warning shot into the ceiling.

The intruder with the nail gun ran outside, while the other one ran into a nearby bedroom. He then pointed his weapon, believed to be a small-caliber handgun, and fired at least one shot at Hunley.

Then Hunley, who is 5-foot-3, emptied her handgun, firing four shots at the intruder. The gunman ran out the front door. Neither Hunley nor her daughter were hurt during the exchange of gunfire.

Afterward, sheriff's deputies received calls indicating that the wife of one of the suspects may have driven the getaway vehicle.

And Nash told Detective King that his sister believed Beardsley was responsible for the home invasion because she had had a conversation with him the day before about previous drug activity at her brother's home

King reported that Nash pulled up a picture of Beardsley on the Internet and recognized him as one of the the intruders.

Deputies later found Beardsley and his wife, who is pregnant, and brought them in for an interview. Beardsley said he was innocent, but his wife reportedly told a different story.

She told King that she dropped her husband off close to the Southeast 68th Street address and waited about 20 minutes for him, according to King's report. She said her husband was sweating when he returned to the vehicle. The woman said she didn't ask any questions about what he did or where he went.

Beardsley was then arrested and charged with armed home invasion. He refused an interview request from the Star-Banner.

Anyone with information about the crime or the intruder still at large can call Detective King at 368-3546 or Crime Stoppers at 368-STOP or log on to Ocala Crime Stoppers | Call 368-STOP.
    Too bad she missed, glad that all the good guys are ok. Hopefully the second scumbag will be caught in short order.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Hunley came into the living room, saw what was happening, returned to her bedroom for a .357-caliber handgun and fired a warning shot into the ceiling.
    She/they could have been killed. Didn't have her means of defense with her and she worried about firing warning shots. All the while, she and her child were confronted with multiple known armed men.

Another good example of how quickly these things can blow sideways. Solution? Keep it on you. Armed, always.

But, serious Kudos! to her for surviving and protecting her child. Nothing is so resolute as a perturbed and threatened momma bear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is close to home, and this type of crime is yet another reason to stay armed at home.

I disagree with warning shots...once dirtbags have entered a private residence, warnings are not necessary (at least not in my residence).

Glad everyone was OK...these dirtbags will be getting a loooooong vacation at taxpayer expense...too bad...should have been a 'dirt nap'.

Stay armed...at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, a nice careful aimed first shot before they become aware you are armed!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is close to home, and this type of crime is yet another reason to stay armed at home.
    I disagree with warning shots...once dirtbags have entered a private residence, warnings are not necessary (at least not in my residence).
    Glad everyone was OK...these dirtbags will be getting a loooooong vacation at taxpayer expense...too bad...should have been a 'dirt nap'.
    +1 My wife's aunt lives very close to where this took place...scary.

I agree with not giving warning shots, gave the second guy the chance to shoot back, not good.

ccw9mm is right on....."Nothing is so resolute as a perturbed and threatened momma bear."

Glad all turned good for the residents!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think the lady did a pretty good job of staying alive. While the firearm was not in a handy location and her aim was poor, she at least had a gun available, knew how to operate it, and did not hesitate to fire it when required.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I think the lady did a pretty good job of staying alive. While the firearm was not in a handy location and her aim was poor, she at least had a gun available, knew how to operate it, and did not hesitate to fire it when required.
    Shes lucky shes not dead,never fire a warning shot and practice with your weapon,she emptied her weapon and didn't hit what she was shooting at ,had the suspects aim been better she wouldn't be here today,I don't know how many people buy a gun load it and then throw it in a drawer thinking they will be able to hit what there shooting at in a high stress situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    No warning shots; easier to mop up blood than to patch a hole in the roof.

What was that guy doing with a nail gun, anyhow? About all that's good for is stealing or torture.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Shes lucky shes not dead,never fire a warning shot and practice with your weapon.
    Particularly if you've got a 5-shot revolver in hand, 'cause you will have simply eliminated 20% of your firepower right there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No Warning Shots For Me Ethier. Far As I'm Concerend You Come Into My House Uninvited, You'll Have An Unschechuled Appointment In Hell...
    Better To Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

Nope, no warning shots from me, either. I have my 3 kids in my home.

My curiosity goes to the pregnant wife who waited 20 minutes for her husband, he came back sweating, and she didn't ask where he'd been or what he'd been doing.

My bet: Either she's incredibly stupid, or she's being abused. Glad she told the LEOs the truth. Hope she doesn't pay for it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Links