Duo kidnaps, kills food delivery driver; restaurants take precautions

This is a discussion on Duo kidnaps, kills food delivery driver; restaurants take precautions within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The two accused were picked up right down the way from me. This is a followup story... Delivery businesses take precautions to keep drivers safe ...

Thread: Duo kidnaps, kills food delivery driver; restaurants take precautions

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

The two accused were picked up right down the way from me. This is a followup story...

Delivery businesses take precautions to keep drivers safe | TOP STORIES | WVEC.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

Delivery businesses take precautions to keep drivers safe

06:51 PM EDT on Saturday, July 12, 2008

Associated Press

FREDERICKSBURG (AP) -- Food-delivery businesses are taking precautions and rewriting policies to ensure the safety of their drivers following the abduction and murder of a deliveryman in Fredericksburg.

Twenty-four-year-old Yong Hui Zhang was declared missing last week when he didn't return from making deliveries for his parents' restaurant. His body was found in Sussex County says later. Officials said he died from a stab wound to the chest.

Authorities say crimes against food deliverers aren't widespread, but businesses aren't taking any chances.

Some have stopped late-night deliveries, limiting delivery areas and telling drivers not to carry more than $20 in cash to deliveries. Others are talking about having deliverers carry pepper spray for protection.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ..... but businesses aren't taking any chances.

Some have stopped late-night deliveries, limiting delivery areas and telling drivers not to carry more than $20 in cash to deliveries. Others are talking about having deliverers carry pepper spray for protection.

Right, they arn't taking ANY chances, they're "talking" about having their drivers carry pepper spray!! Whatta crock of brown stinky bovine gravy!

Theres a lotta people been killed for less than $20,I think pepper spray against a knife or gun is better than mmmmm i'm thinking mmmmmm hold on mmmmmm a wet finger in their ear
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The company I worked for lost a delivery driver down in Fayetteville just before I started. Was robbed and then killed for whatever reason.

One common method of robbery is to find an empty house in a good neighborhood break in and then order your food. When the driver gets there he steps up to the door and is surrounded and forced inside.

Drivers tend to be very cautious in bad places but tremendously lax in the "good" ones. Complacency is the real enemy, and ultimately the real killer in most robberies involving delivery drivers.

Luckily, I only had weapons drawn on me twice, in the 4 years I delivered pizza. Both times they were prank calls. Can't say I blame them really. Stranger knocking on the door in the middle of nowwhere at 1am.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

As long as these businesses can just hire another delivery driver, it will be business as usual.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

When It's All Said And Done, Only Me & Smith&wesson Are Gonna Look Out For My Best Interest!

Yea pepper spray seems a little corny, I dont think that is going to deter someone with a gun or knife that is ready and willing to kill you!
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    So, bad guys can look at someone and count the money in his pocket and see if it's worth the effort to rob him?

And "pepper spray"? Isn't that useless against people who eat a lot of chiles?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    So, bad guys can look at someone and count the money in his pocket and see if it's worth the effort to rob him?

And "pepper spray"? Isn't that useless against people who eat a lot of chiles?

Oh, I am sure that the BG will ask (politely of course) how much money are you carrying..........you say less than 20 never mind, I will go look for another victim.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sponsored Links