Busy day for good guy Part 2

This is a discussion on Busy day for good guy Part 2 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man tries to carjack jail guard's vehicle in Bronx gas station and is shot dead BY SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Sunday, July 13th ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man tries to carjack jail guard's vehicle in Bronx gas station and is shot dead
    BY SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 13th 2008, 10:51 PM

An armed carjacker picked a fight with an off-duty correction officer at a Bronx gas station Sunday morning - and lost, police said.

Sheldon Johnson, 34, fatally shot the unidentified thief about 2:15 a.m. after the thug jumped into the officer's Dodge Charger, pulled out a gun and demanded a ride, police said.

Johnson ran from the Sunoco station on Jerome Ave. and 174th St. in Mount Eden and dialed 911 to report the shooting.

Meanwhile, a burgundy minivan pulled up to the dead man, pried the gun from his hands and sped off, witnesses later told cops.

Police said they are having a tough time naming the dead hijacker since he carried no ID.

Investigators were analyzing his fingerprints for clues yesterday, cops said.

"If anybody was around at that time last night, we are looking to locate that vehicle," said police spokesman Assistant Chief Michael Collins, referring to the minivan.

Police and Correction Department officials said it appeared that Johnson - a nine-year veteran assigned to the courts unit - will not face criminal charges.

"We also don't see any basis for departmental charges, but the incident will still be reviewed," said Correction Department spokesman Stephen Morello.

Authorities gave the following account of the incident:

Johnson was on his way home when he stopped at the pump to fill up his year-old car, police said.

Out of nowhere, a man walked up to Johnson asking where to find a nearby tire shop.

Johnson shooed him away.

The man then jumped into the Charger's passenger seat, pulled out a gun and demanded that Johnson start driving.

Johnson refused.

The hijacker then hopped into the driver's seat, waving his weapon and screaming for a ride, said police.

That was when Johnson fired multiple times.

Bullets struck the man's heart, liver, hip, leg and hand, the medical examiner's office said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Sunoco employee, who declined to give his name, said workers were unaware of the shooting and felt no fear working at the gas station Sunday night.

I hope from now on he locks his doors while he gets gas.
    The BG sounds like a real nut case. Wonder if his weapon was even loaded?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wow,

Never thought about locking the car doors at the gas pump. Something I will definitely have to discuss with the wife.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    "Meanwhile, a burgundy minivan pulled up to the dead man, pried the gun from his hands and sped off, witnesses later told cops."

Anarchy...Escape from New York

Rick

What a mess... Shame he couldn't get the guy to step out of the vehicle before ventilating him.

I wonder if insurance covers replacement of upholstery in a case like this :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Never thought about locking the car doors at the gas pump. Something I will definitely have to discuss with the wife.
    I do it all the time now, and have for years. Especially if I have a child with me. My purse stays there, and only my keys and debit card come out. (Don't have my CHL yet. )

And fortunately I no longer have a husband I would have to discuss it with!

I hope your wife doesn't give you a hard time over it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Just make sure that when you start locking your car while at a gas station pit stop that you TAKE YOUR KEYS OUT AND HAVE THEM IN HAND!!

If you lock them in the car you might be stuck for a while. If you happen to lock yourself out and you have children in the car you could see yourself in front of the court.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Corrections officer"? As in "prison guard"? (snicker)

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Just make sure that when you start locking your car while at a gas station pit stop that you TAKE YOUR KEYS OUT AND HAVE THEM IN HAND!!

If you lock them in the car you might be stuck for a while. If you happen to lock yourself out and you have children in the car you could see yourself in front of the court.
    +10.

I usually stick them in my waistband or on the roof of the car (on my side).

Lock your doors and Lock & load your smithy

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Meanwhile, a burgundy minivan pulled up to the dead man, pried the gun from his hands and sped off, witnesses later told cops.
    I feel like that's something out of the road warrior... not the United States of America. This is nuts. We live in a chaotic age.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    "Corrections officer"? As in "prison guard"? (snicker)
    Since this happened in Bronx, and he was on his way home, I'm assuming that he is with NYCDOC? If so, I believe he has same authority as Law Enforcement Officer. Actually many Correction Officer do have same authority as LEO... That didn't come out quite right. In many places, CO's are Law Enforcement Officers.

BTW, I'm not CO trying to make CO's look better than what some people perceive, just another knuckel dragging jail guard.

Charles Tait

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Tidbit of useless info:

In Virginia, COs are not LEOs and not exempted from the CCW laws unless employed as DOC investigators. Having known a few of them, I'm not lining up to petition the state for their benefit...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In Virginia, COs are not LEOs and not exempted from the CCW laws unless employed as DOC investigators.
    Another tidbit of information:

CO's are LEO's if they are employed by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. So your state law doesn't apply.

Biker

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    In case anyone took that wrong, I was laughing at someone who was obviously not hard core trying to rob a corrections officer. Oh, boy. Dumb move.

Okay, I reread the first post. He was more a bailiff's assistant. Still, he should know a bit after 9 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links