Ugly: CHL holder kills an officer

This is a discussion on Ugly: CHL holder kills an officer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GLOCK_27 My prayers and thoughts go out to this officers family. WKYC.com | Cleveland, OH | Judge: $5 million bond for man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: CHL holder kills an officer

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK_27 View Post
    My prayers and thoughts go out to this officers family.

WKYC.com | Cleveland, OH | Judge: $5 million bond for man charged in Twinsburg officer's death

The reason i put this here is because as i was watching the news just now, they were talking to the prosucutor for this case and the prosucutor said about the shooter having a CHL "... that, in my opinion, empowered him, and thats the problem I have with the concealed carry law."
    Judge: $5 million bond for man charged in Twinsburg officer's death

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- A judge in Cuyahoga Falls has set bond at $5 million for the man charged in the shooting death of Twinsburg police officer Joshua Miktarian early Sunday morning.

Ashford Thompson, 23, of Twinsburg, is charged with aggravated murder.

According to a published report on cleveland.com Thompson's defense attorney Larry Zukerman claims his client acted in self-defense. Zukerman had asked for a bond of $50,000.

Police say Miktarian had pulled over Thompson for loud music and suspicion of driving under the influence early Sunday morning.

On Monday, the Cuyahoga County Coroner said Miktarian died after being shot four times in the head. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Twinsburg's police chief says Miktarian's gun was still holstered when he was found.

Bedford Police arrested Thompson shortly after the shooting.

He was reportedly still wearing the handcuffs that Miktarian had placed on one of his hands during the traffic stop.

According to Twinsburg Police, the police cruiser Miktarian was using had an in-car 'dash cam' that was inoperative, meaning that there is no recording of what happened during the traffic stop.

Thompson reportedly has a Concealed Carry permit but police say it's not clear if the weapon he had the permit for was the one used in the shooting.

Thompson remains in the Summit County Jail.

That's not good, and a black eye on the CHL community if it's true. Thoughts and prayers to the officers family.

As a note, in Ohio you don't get a permit for a specific firearm.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ugh....not enough details, but if he shot the cop to avoid getting arrested....sheesh...horrible. More than a black eye, its a festering open wound that the anti-gunners will point to to show everyone how "dangerous" we all are.

Senior Moderator
    I dont why a CHL holder that kills a cop is any more a black eye to the gun culture than a drunk driver that runs over a cop on a traffic stop is a black eye to drivers everywhere.

Its not the gun,its the man behind the gun...just like its not the car, but the driver behind the wheel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

... the prosucutor said about the shooter having a CHL "... that, in my opinion, empowered him, and thats the problem I have with the concealed carry law."
    Well then, he's not thinking clearly.

The problem is with THIS ONE GUY who became a murderer, of course, and NOT the concealed carry laws as such.

The damned least-common-denominator approach of such anti-gunner folks does nothing but leave upstanding people at the mercy of criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I dont why a CHL holder that kills a cop is any more a black eye to the gun culture than a drunk driver that runs over a cop on a traffic stop is a black eye to drivers everywhere.
    And yet, it is, to seemingly millions. I believe it's the purpose-built nature of firearms, versus the ancillary effect of automobiles. Makes it easier to latch onto.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A valid point Hotguns, and anytime a LEO is killed it is a tragedy.

But especially in a state that is somewhat new to CHL's (Ohio has had it for under 5 years IIRC), CHL holders are held to a much higher standard, especially by the media.

He needs to be held accountable for his actions, and punished accordingly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Tragic, horrible, horrifying, angering.

Aren't we always arguing that concealed carriers are law-abiding citizens? And don't we point to our lower crime rates?

Of course, this doesn't change any of that... except in public sentiment, which is, sadly enough, the only real safeguard for CCW laws. Should that be the case? Of course not. But it is. And while this probably shouldn't be a black eye for CCW holders, it will be seen as such.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Tragic, horrible, horrifying, angering.
    Aren't we always arguing that concealed carriers are law-abiding citizens? And don't we point to our lower crime rates?

Of course, this doesn't change any of that... except in public sentiment, which is, sadly enough, the only real safeguard for CCW laws. Should that be the case? Of course not. But it is. And while this probably shouldn't be a black eye for CCW holders, it will be seen as such.
    To you maybe, but not to me.

Awhile back I arrested a CCW holder for abusing his spouse. He lost his permit over the deal and I doubt he will ever get it back. Do I see that as a slap for all CCW holders? No. I just see it as some yahoo that got stupid and abused his wife. No more, no less.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

To you maybe, but not to me.

Awhile back I arrested a CCW holder for abusing his spouse. He lost his permit over the deal and I doubt he will ever get it back. Do I see that as a slap for all CCW holders? No. I just see it as some yahoo that got stupid and abused his wife. No more, no less.
    Not to you or me. That's 2 voters.

How about the millions of ignorant and semi-ignorant folks who just see that a cop-killer was given permission to get the drop on an LEO?? Again, that's uninformed illogic, but it should matter to us because public sentiment and opinion matter. Things like the VCDL picnic are a huge boost; things like this are a hurdle.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Administrator
    R.I.P. Officer Joshua Miktarian.

Honestly this is the first time I've read a story like this one.
    It's a such microscopically rare tragedy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I too hope this guy gets what hes got coming,he was apparently driving drunk and was about to get arrested for same ,I don't think the fact he had a CHL license had anything to do with the fact he committed murder,Most concealed permit holders are upstanding law abiding citizens but every now and them somebody slips through the cracks,I really hope this guy gets the death penalty
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    No one turns into an angel just because he gets a CCW /or/ a badge.

I have a bunch of questions about that dash cam, and the longer it was out of order, the worse it looks for the officer. Those things are supposed to clear officers of wrong doing.

"Four to the head" does not sound like self defense, though.

Don't really have any good words. Sucks. Thank you for your service, Officer. Scumbag: Rot in Hell.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'll wait for more details...the accused claims self defense, the deceased buddies investigated the crime scene, and the dash cam is conveniently not working...

I do agree with Harding, 4 to the head seems a little overboard.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

If it were up to me, then I'd make sure another CHL holder was to one who threw the switch on this O2 waster.

But it ain't up to me and that's the headline the media is putting to the public, a public with a LOT of people sitting on the fence WRT gun rights/control.

I agree with Kerbouchard, need more info.......and I hope the press has it wrong.

With that said, my heartfelt prayers to Officer Miktarian's family and fellow officers.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links