(Scary) Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach

This is a discussion on (Scary) Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read this and thought to myself. What if I was carrying. With all my senses going off for being pulled over would I recognize ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Scary) Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach

(Scary) Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach

I read this and thought to myself. What if I was carrying. With all my senses going off for being pulled over would I recognize a robbery before I could defend myself. Would I loose my weapon to crooks. Would they use it on me. This is scary.

Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach, steal cash and credit cards
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH Two men posed as cops in an unmarked car with a flashing blue light and pulled over another driver for his cash and credit cards, police said.

On July 6 at 4:22 a.m., the men were driving a gray Chevrolet Caprice in the 900 block of Alamanda Street and pulled up behind the victim's vehicle. They ordered the occupants to get out, patted them down and took a wallet and cash. The phony officers then went on a shopping spree in suburban West Palm Beach, buying gift cards at CVS, 7-11 and Exxon.

fake cop suspect

Anyone with information on their identity is asked to call police at (561) 822-1676.
    Fake cops stop motorist in West Palm Beach, steal cash and credit cards
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Hmm, I wonder who would have drawn on them? I'd rather just speed away and head straight for the nearest LE building or find a cop. While calling 911 of course. If a "cop" started asking for things that he had no right to, I'm assuming he's a bad guy and will do what is neccessary to 1. Escape. 2. Get them arrested. And 3. Stay alive through any means neccessary (if they end up dead, it's better for the rest of us).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I would hope to realize in their demeanor and actions if they were real or fake cops. I'd have to say their speech would be a key indicator for me. Thugs just don't talk like cops. Then again---thugs don't drive police cruisers either, and UC vehicles don't make traffic stops.

At 4am, it's impossible to tell if a car is unmarked or not. All you see is headlights and the flashing blue/red lights. In the dark, it's a simple take-down. IMO, one cannot distinguish until it's too late. I'm all for "driving around to a LE facility," but it's hard to do that if that thought begins only AFTER a firearm is in the face.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I've always advised my daughter if she is not sure, to:
    -Slow down;
    -Turn on the interior light;
    -Put on her emergency flashers;
    -Call 911 and explain the situation;
    Years ago, when I was a patrol officer, I initiated a traffic stop in a fully marked unit with a light bar on top. It was night time and in a fairly deserted area. The driver did not stop, but slowed down, turned on their interior light, and activated their flashers. I was then able to see the driver was a female and on the cell phone. Within 2 minutes of a very, very slow "pursuit", I got a call from my dispatcher who got a call from the State Police. Once "911" confirmed for her I was a real police officer, she pulled over. I was not angry with her in the least. She was a young (18 or 19) girl who was frightened and unsure. I thought she handled it pretty well.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    -Slow down;
    Years ago, when I was a patrol officer, I initiated a traffic stop in a fully marked unit with a light bar on top. It was night time and in a fairly deserted area. The driver did not stop, but slowed down, turned on their interior light, and activated their flashers. I was then able to see the driver was a female and on the cell phone. Within 2 minutes of a very, very slow "pursuit", I got a call from my dispatcher who got a call from the State Police. Once "911" confirmed for her I was a real police officer, she pulled over. I was not angry with her in the least. She was a young (18 or 19) girl who was frightened and unsure. I thought she handled it pretty well.
    Gonzo
    Wow an 18 or 19 year old who kept their cool. You don't see that too often.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Wow an 18 or 19 year old who kept their cool. You don't see that too often.
    Yep. She was a little teary eyed at first, but I thought she conducted herself quite well. Impressed me enough to give her a warning for blowing a red light, instead of a cite. She was truthful and willing to take the ticket, but I thought her cool head had earned her a break. She told me she was taught what to do by her Dad, a U.S. Marine. Got to love a well raised kid!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

-Slow down;
    Gonzo

A similar thing happened to me when I was not much older than your daughter (I was about 25 at the time).

I was headed home on I-10 very late one night after diving in Marianna. I had just passed an exit, when I noticed blue lights behind me. I looked down and checked my speed, which was not over the limit. Something about the lights just didn't look right- and I was in the middle of nowhere. So I slowed down, put the flashers on, and was not stopping until I got to the next exit (about 14 miles) where there was a well-lit 24 hour gas station (it was about 1 AM). This was before cell phones were common- so calling 911 was not an option. The car tailed me all the way to the exit and off it- but turned off the lights and kept going as I pulled into the gas station lot.

At the time, I figured the officer would be all kinds of mad- but I also figured he has a mother/ sister/ wife/ daughter and would understand my reluctance to pull off the deserted interstate in the middle of the night.

Turns out my instincts were right- there was a rapist pulling women over on this stretch of I-10 during that time.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    Turns out my instincts were right- there was a rapist pulling women over on this stretch of I-10 during that time.

Another thing I have always told the women in my life. God gave you instincts for a reason. Listen to them! Same applies to men, of course. If something does not seem right...it probably is not!

Great work on your part, chickdiver. Sounds like you kept a level head, made a great tactical decision, and may just have saved your life. Nice job!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I've seen unmarked cars pulling people over. These were not undercover cars, just the sort the suits drive. Detectives and Lt's, maybe?

Another thing I have always told the women in my life. God gave you instincts for a reason. Listen to them! Same applies to men, of course. If something does not seem right...it probably is not!

Great work on your part, chickdiver. Sounds like you kept a level head, made a great tactical decision, and may just have saved your life. Nice job!
    Gonzo
    +1 on Gonzo's advice on instincts and Bravo Zulu on ChickDiver's actions.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When I was a teenager I was driving late at night on a rural road when a car pulled up behind me and flashed red grill lights. The lights didn't look as professional as I'd expect from LEO's but - not like they have all have the same lights. So, I pull over. They pull over, but then pull out. As they drive by I see it's just some scum-bag having his jollies.

It's likely that because it was very dark that he changed his mind when he saw I was a boy and not a girl.

Nowadays with all the unmarked cars I think it should be illegal for an unmarked car to make a traffic stop if they want to stop you they need to get a marked unit to initiate the stop.When I was an LEO if the detectives wanted to stop somebody they would call a marked car to stop the vehicle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Many agencies have a policy in place that prohibit true unmarked cars from working traffic. There is generally an exception for "emergencies or exigent circumstances", such as a Detective spotting a wanted fugitive, etc. But, not all agencies have such a policy in place. A lot of is geographical. I know Jersey State Police used to run a TON of traffic using unmarked cars on the Turnpike. Then there are what are generally referred to as "slicktop" cars. They are full marked and striped out, but don't have a lightbar on top.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using unmarked cars for true traffic stops. Too many safety issues. Felony stops on fugitives or after a pursuit? That I can see. But running radar or doing stop sign details? Stick with a marked unit and a uniformed officer.

My humble opinion,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    There were a string of murders on I-64 between Richmond and Virginia Beach back in the late 90's IIRC the time period, I don't remember hearing about any arrest, they believe it may have been someone impersonating an LEO, several of the victims vehicles were found pulled over and the windows half way down on the driver side only.

Scary stuff, I'm glad to hear LEO's supportive of reasonable measures being taken to verify that the car trying to pull you over is legit. Wouldn't bother me to see impersonating an officer carry some serious jail time also, the damage that can cause is much farther reaching that the particular crime in question. Not to mention it's just plain wrong.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links