Woman Tells Of Gun Duel With Former Boyfriend

This is a discussion on Woman Tells Of Gun Duel With Former Boyfriend within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Tells Of Gun Duel With Former Boyfriend Charges Pending Against Delvin Lewis Who Shot At His Ex-Girlfriend, Shot At Police, And Killed A Broward ...

Thread: Woman Tells Of Gun Duel With Former Boyfriend

VIP Member

Charges Pending Against Delvin Lewis Who Shot At His Ex-Girlfriend, Shot At Police, And Killed A Broward Officer's K-9
    FT. LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ― The Broward Sheriff's Office said the domestic dispute began early Thursday at 309 NE 35 Ct. in Oakland Park, where Delvin Lewis allegedly shot and missed his girlfriend.

Michelle Taylor is grateful to be alive explaining to CBS4 Reporter Ted Scouten of a terrifying encounter with Lewis. It all began shortly after midnight when she said he showed up at her home and bullied his way in. Her four children were inside.

Taylor said he slammed her against the wall, "He pushed his way in, and when he came back-- and then when he came in, he directly came at me and I just went into the wall."

She added, "Once he pulled off his shirt, I saw his gun in there and my first instinct was to get my own gun."

Taylor retrieved her gun and shots were fired.

She said, "I just had it and I shot… he shot once."

It did not end there. She said she chased him out of her home while firing her gun. That would eventually lead Lewis on a high-speed chase through Broward and Miami-Dade counties, where he was eventually apprehended after a shootout with police, resulting in a BSO K-9 dying.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

You can pray and spray bullets all over the place but if you can't hit your target better stick with a bat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You miss the point. The BG was not able to do his deed even if he did not get shot. She survived by using a firearm. The objective was to cease the attack and she did.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You can pray and spray bullets all over the place but if you can't hit your target better stick with a bat
    But, it sounds to me like shooting back worked to get the guy to STOP (at least stop his attack on her), even if she didn't hit him. I would say her gun either saved her life or at least saved her from being badly hurt.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Have to agree. Pray-n-spray, lucky one of the kids didn't get hurt. Chasing him out the door shooting might not have been the best idea either. The threat was stopped once he's fleeing. At least that's how the DA would play it had she managed to connect. Although I'm sure it would be tough to not do the same thing myself in her shoes.

The guy killed a police dog...just like killing a cop...he's going to pay 'big time'!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wouldn't it be nice to see him charged with the capital murder of the K-9?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    They should allow the other police dogs to "train" on him.

I think some people miss the point in my post sure she stopped the attack but those bullets went somewhere firing blindly can get innocent people killed,if you want to carry a handgun for self defense at least get some training in how to shoot it effectively
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to see him charged with the capital murder of the K-9?
    I don't necessarily disagree, but not much chance after the recent SCOTUS decision on no capital punishment for child rapists in any cases...it's the "evolving standards of decency," don't you know.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I think the gun probably either saved her from dying or getting seriously hurt. Good for her. As to whether the shots that she fired came close to hitting anyone or injuring anyone, I don't know, neither does anyone else here. In fact, no one was hurt.

Her chasing after the guy is no big deal. How was she to know he wasn't going to just get outside the house, regroup and come right back in. Apparently there was still plenty of fight left in him for the police when he got into that encounter.

The way I read this, she wasn't carrying a gun for self defense it was in her home. Like it or not, there are lots of people in this country that have guns in their home, and are less than proficient with them. Even police officers don't hit their targets all the time when in a firefight, and they have a pretty good level of training.

I say good for her, she is around to take care of her kids, and the scum bag will hopefully spend a great deal of time in prison.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links