Good: Man claims self-defense in Midwest City (OK) shooting

This is a discussion on Good: Man claims self-defense in Midwest City (OK) shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is the link: http://newsok.com/man-claims-self-de...?tm=1216351468 The local TV news (I forget which one) had a really good spot on this one, good in terms of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Here is the link:

http://newsok.com/man-claims-self-de...?tm=1216351468

The local TV news (I forget which one) had a really good spot on this one, good in terms of the interviews with neighbors. They couldn't get even ONE of them to say they were sorry for the bad guy -- said he "got what he deserved'.

In the TV spot, they went into a little more detail about the event than the simpleton who wrote the above article (who referred to the bad guy as the "victim"). Basically this idiot had been parking his car in the area many times, stealing stuff. The one (and his buddy) who did the shooting were staying alert and when the same car pulls up again, they went out to confront him. A violent argument erupted and then the BG (who had got back in his car) accelerated toward them. A single shotgun blast caught the BG in the neck. He died within the hour.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    So he has witnesses to say he wasn't the aggressor when he approached this guy in the street with a shotgun?

"The shooter told deputies he found the victim attempting to break into a shed on the shooter's property, 1701 Hughson Ave., according to the release.

The victim then got into a small car, and the shooter told deputies the burglar attempted to ram him,......"

Yeah, the BG is the victim AND they gave out the 'shooter's' address

The resident confronts the BG (with the scattergun I assume), BG gets back into his vehicle, then attempts to run over the shotgun wielding resident. Sounds like it should have not gone down the way it's written.
    The BG was obviously known in the area and certinly not well liked.

Certinly not enough information here..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

yea, based on what's writen here, I hope the "shooter" has contacted a good lawyer. Hope the "victim" has a record. And I hope there are multiple good witnesses that can state the "shooter" wasn't the aggressor. A crafty DA will turn this around to where the "victim" clearly felt threatened for his life when confronted in the street by an aggitated man with a shotgun.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    So he has witnesses to say he wasn't the aggressor when he approached this guy in the street with a shotgun?
    I don't know; I wasn't there. I am not sure of any witnesses here; I think the neighbors who commented that the "SOB got what he deserved" were answering questions about the incident from the TV reporter(s). After the fact.

I would say the probability is over 99% that this will simply be written off as self-defense, DONE. The DA's in Oklahoma County would never try this shooter in court on any real charge, because their case would sink like a lead weight and they KNOW it.

If only it were like this all over the land...

I can dream, can't I?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

That's a good time to call the police and let them confront the BG.
    I would not have drawn a gun on anyone who was not putting me in immediate fear of my life. The bg being out on the street is something best left to leo's (unless they come in my house, then there mine & Sundances)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think people are asking why he just didn't write down the license number, call 911. This could go either way...did he have a chance to step out of the way of the car? Lots of what if's...definitely going to cost him though with a lawyer etc.

Rick

In Texas after dark he would be a walking target as soon as he tried to steal anything off my property,Sounds like he was trying to hold the guy for the cops and the guy decided he was gonna try to drive thru him.I bet the crime rate goes down a bunch in the area now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A little different perspective:

KSBI-TV - Oklahoma News Tonight - Police: Man Shoots and Kills Suspected Burglar

(sic) Authorities say the suspect then got into his vehicle and attempted to drive away. They say the property owner stepped in front of the car, and the suspect moved his car forward toward the individual. (sic)
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I know a police officer in florida was charged with killing a DUI offender after pursuing him and the guy wrecked as the officer approached the guy backed up and started taking off the officer moved in front of the car and fired several shots striking driver,a jury felt the officer put his own life in jeopardy and found him guilty of manslaughter IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I know a police officer in florida was charged with killing a DUI offender after pursuing him and the guy wrecked as the officer approached the guy backed up and started taking off the officer moved in front of the car and fired several shots striking driver,a jury felt the officer put his own life in jeopardy and found him guilty of manslaughter IIRC
    If you can provide a link to that, I'd like to see it. I can understand them pushing that on a civilian, but since an officer is allowed to use neccisary force to enlist an arrest, I would think he would have been ok.

If you can provide a link to that, I'd like to see it. I can understand them pushing that on a civilian, but since an officer is allowed to use neccisary force to enlist an arrest, I would think he would have been ok.
    Why would it be different for a private citizen?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Because a civilian isn't allowed to use force to elicit an arrest and an officer is. When the officer stepped in front of the car to stop the guy from leaving, how is that any different than trying to put the cuffs on a guy and he takes a swing at him and tries to run? Stop means stop and if he's willing to run over an officer with his car to escape, I'd guess he's willing to run over civilians on the street to escape as well. A threat to society and the officer used force to stop him. Need more details on that one and it's probably a topic for a seperate thread.

Because a civilian isn't allowed to use force to elicit an arrest and an officer is. When the officer stepped in front of the car to stop the guy from leaving, how is that any different than trying to put the cuffs on a guy and he takes a swing at him and tries to run? Stop means stop and if he's willing to run over an officer with his car to escape, I'd guess he's willing to run over civilians on the street to escape as well. A threat to society and the officer used force to stop him. Need more details on that one and it's probably a topic for a seperate thread.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ns-arrest.html

I wasn't able to read the whole thing. First off, I guess - shame on me for making a blanket statement (Gotta love Kentucky).

But second, It doesn't "sound" like a felony was committed in this case so a civilian still wouldn't be able to use deadly force to make an arrest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links