Bad:Homeowner shot with own rifle

This is a discussion on Bad:Homeowner shot with own rifle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Shot With Own Gun During Home Invasion - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis FRANKLIN, Ind. -- He was trying to protect his family ...

Man Shot With Own Gun During Home Invasion - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

FRANKLIN, Ind. -- He was trying to protect his family during a home invasion when a Franklin man said he was shot with his own gun Wednesday night at the family's home.

James and Amber Duncan told 6News' Renee Jameson they were upstairs when they heard a loud noise in the garage.

While Amber Duncan called police, James Duncan said he grabbed his rifle and went to investigate. He said when he walked into the garage, he was attacked.

"He just took the gun from me, hit me in the stomach, knocked me back and then pointed it at my face," James Duncan said. "I said, 'Please don't; I have children. Please don't.'"

James Duncan said the man tried to pull the trigger, but the gun's safety was on. He said he knocked the gun away and that's when it fired, hitting him in the shoulder. When that happened, the intruder ran from the garage, he said.

As he was leaving, James Duncan said he noticed his attacker was wearing a shirt similar to those that workers at the nearby Johnson County Fair wear, an event from which he and his family had just returned.

The intruder is described as a white man with blonde hair, 6 feet 3 inches tall, around 240 pounds and between 20 and 25 years old.

Franklin police said they do not have a suspect in the shooting. The Johnson County Fair Association released a statement Thursday saying no employees were being investigated.

Duncan is now recovering at home. He told Jameson his family is considering selling the house after what happened there.

"My daughter, my daughter that's 6, she knew what was going on," he said. "She heard the gunshot, and she's pretty tore up about it."
    This article doesn't mention whether the rifle was the ordinary variety or the evil black kind, or why the safety was still on when it was go time, but it brought up some questions for me.

1. What should be done to physically improve rifle retention? Sling?
    2. Is there training in rifle retention methods?
    3. Is a pistol easier to retain than a rifle?
    4. When dealing with closed doors and light switches/flashlights, do pistols have an advantage?
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I think I'll settle in for this one.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Wow its amazing.....he is blessed........ my first guess........clueless on how to protect his home.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

1. Don't stick your rifle into a room before you look in, I'd say if you MUST clear a room by yourself, I nudge the door open and step back, look, then begin to creep in.
    2. I don't clear with a rifle because a. I only recently got a defensive one, and b. Not trained with it. It does seem that a pistol would be way easier to train and wield. Just don't go sticking it through door where you can't see what is out there.
    3. OK, I'm mixed up on the numbers, but a rifle is way easier to grab than a pistol.
    4. Pistols definitely have an advantage at the moment you've only got one hand for the weapon. A rifle is easily leverage out of your grip if your only holding on at the stock/pistol grip.

Someone who spends LOTS of time with their long guns (Military guy and some LEOs, Mostly) maybe be able to minimize these long-gun shortcomings. Me? I'll stick with my pistol unless I'm holed up in a defensive position.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I remember when I first came on this board and asked how to clear my own house. I got many great advise. This just illustrate what I was told. If all your family members are secure and accounted for then just dial 911 and stay secure in the location where you are. It's dangerous to clear a house by yourself even by an experienced trained individual.
    NRA Member

i read about stuff like this hear... people who own guns but haven't a clue how to use them. owning a gun does not make you any safer...as in this guys case...glad he is ok though.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

If you MUST clear your house, You MUST have a plan conceived with training (i.e.: a clue) A good defensive position with either a handgun or long gun is a good position to be in.

Personally, I'll clear my home with my sidearm or shotgun when alone. I've trained to clear houses/buildings with rifles, shotguns, and handguns in a multi-person/team situations. By myself, the handgun backing up the scattergun, if I have to.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

pointing a muzzle through a doorway or just holding it walking is asking for trouble. $10 says the perp grabbed it as he was coming through the door.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Good thing the safety was still on in this case. Pointed at his face. That would have been ugly.....

If he heard where he was at, he should have been able to subdue him without incident. Sounds like he just walked right to him. The Big Man was on his side for sure.

Time for a trip to the fair to get this scum bag.

Agreed Goldshell, and 762.

Also I'll bet the rifle he had was a long barreled and long stocked hunting rifle to boot. Fubar.
    Even if it wasn't a rifle to clear a house with is fubar.

If I heard noises in the garage that were not normal I'd not go into the garage via the door from the home, where folk inside know you are going to be coming from and can get the jump on you. Go outside and open the bay door via a remote.
    Or better yet dial 911, take a defensive position, and wait for more noise.

Leaving his family was a bad move.
    It's fortunate for him that the BG made the decision to flee rather than continue with robbing his home or worse, not that dad would have means beyond being disarmed and shot to stop him.

Yet another example of why clearing ones own home is fubar, even if you do have some training in as much.
    Police and military don't even clear buildings by themselves, just for this reason.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've gone through scenarios if something like this ever happened to me in my home. Luckily, every entrance is w/i view of my top step so unless i am downstairs already, i have no reason to go down. i will just wait at the top of the stairs with the business end pointing downstairs.....this is if the intruder is not def from my security system by then.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

The first thing I do when I get a new rifle is put a custom sling on it. My slings wrap around my back and the rifles cannot be pulled from me.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    The first thing I do when I get a new rifle is put a custom sling on it. My slings wrap around my back and the rifles cannot be pulled from me.
    That's great assuming the BG doesn't have a handgun all he's gotta do is control your muzzle while he shoots you
    I've had training clearing buildings and houses and It's not that easy,your better off calling 911 and securing your perimeter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't use a rifle for home defense. I never would, as it is the easiest to take away from someone, especially if they hesitate one bit. It's harder to handle, swing, etc. if you have to in a house.

I'll stick with a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Don't use a rifle for home defense. I never would, as it is the easiest to take away from someone, especially if they hesitate one bit. It's harder to handle, swing, etc. if you have to in a house.

I'll stick with a handgun.
    +1...but at least he was smart enough to forget to remember to take off the safety...

Milspec

Links