Neutral: Man Stops Home Invader - Park Heights, MD

This is a discussion on Neutral: Man Stops Home Invader - Park Heights, MD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Burglar shot, killed in Park Heights home -- baltimoresun.com A Park Heights man shot and killed a 45-year-old man who was attempting to burglarize his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutral: Man Stops Home Invader - Park Heights, MD

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Burglar shot, killed in Park Heights home -- baltimoresun.com

A Park Heights man shot and killed a 45-year-old man who was attempting to burglarize his aunt's home early Wednesday morning, a police spokeswoman said.

Police did not release the name of the man who was killed because next of kin had not been notified. They also did not release the name of the shooter Wednesday.

Several people at the man's house Wednesday declined to speak with a reporter.

Police received a call reporting a shooting at the 3800 block of Hayward Ave. about 1:10 a.m. Wednesday, said police spokeswoman Nicole Monroe.

When officers arrived, they were told that a man had broken into a home. A man living in that house heard someone come into the basement, and he went upstairs to get a his .38-caliber handgun, police said. He was the registered owner of the gun, police said.

The man, armed with the weapon, went to investigate and heard footsteps upstairs. He called out to his aunt to see whether she was walking around the house, Monroe said.

Then he walked up to the first floor and saw the burglar running through the rear door of the kitchen and fired once, striking the burglar in the back, Monroe said.

The burglar ran out the back door and collapsed near a shed, Monroe said. The man called 911, put his handgun on the kitchen table and waited for police to arrive. Medics rushed the burglar to Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:05 a.m.

The state's attorney's office is waiting for the completion of the homicide investigation before reviewing the case to determine whether to press charges, said Margaret Burns, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office.
    The guy may be in trouble for shooting the BG as he was running out the backdoor, especially in MD. Hopefully all goes well for the shooter.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

That sucks the old guy might get charged. That this was called a homicide didn't escape my notice.

Could be very bad. Hard call to make not knowing MD's laws offhand.
    Hope he dosn't get charged.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    shooting in the back.

I not sure that I could bring myself to shoot in this situation but then again, you can't pass judgement unless you walk a mile in a man's shoes. Regardless, break into someones house, he got what he deserved. Breaking into someone's house isn't just stealing their belongings but stealing their sense of security. I think it's just as much an emotional crime as a physical one.

Well, my answer would be that I thought he was after another family member in that area.

Glad he got him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treksouth View Post
    That sucks the old guy might get charged. That this was called a homicide didn't escape my notice.

Anytime someone is killed it is a homicide. Some cases are ruled justified, some aren't. As much as I hope it doesn't happen, I will be very surprized if he is not charged in the case. Especially since the BG was shot in the back.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

One of the first things they look for is to make sure all of the bullet wounds are on the front of the victim. Shooting a fleeing burglar will get you in trouble in most states.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

In the fraction of a second it takes to pull the trigger a suspect can turn and instead of a frontal shot you can strike him in the back,I'm glad in Texas it doesn't matter where ya shoot him if he's in your house or stealing from your yard after dark It's a good shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In the fraction of a second it takes to pull the trigger a suspect can turn and instead of a frontal shot you can strike him in the back,I'm glad in Texas it doesn't matter where ya shoot him if he's in your house or stealing from your yard after dark It's a good shoot
    ...and exactly how it should be!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Duk, I recall that from back around 1994, but cannot find documentation. Do you have it handy?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Actually (and I need to double-check this myself), I believe the state assembly passed a Castle Doctrine this past session. He may be okay, but in this state the DA's attitude will always be a big factor...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Ya'all assuming that the reporter had the information correct, when he admits no witnesses would talk to them. There could lots of factors, he could have been threatening him to and as the other guy pulled up his gun burglar turned so the bullet ended up going in his back.

Too little info, and too many assumptions in this one to know.

Even if all the info is correct (which is doubtful, as Eagleks points out), consider the circumstances. If I know somebody is in my home whose not supposed to be there late at night, my adrenaline is going to be absolutely through the roof. If I walk in the kitchen in the dark, pistol in hand, and see a flash of somebody moving very quickly, I'm not going to stop and ask myself whether they're hitting the exit or not. I'm probably shooting.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

If only this was in Texas.

My parents owned a business in that area of MD for over 10 years and I ran the place for a couple of years. It had the highest homicide and violent crime rate in an already very violent city, worst of the worst. I knew of at least 5 people I met while working there that was killed, mostly drug related issues.

MD has some of the most corrupt .gov's from what I've experienced, and their gun laws are one notch better than DC's, which means, very unconstitutional. Unless that guy knows someone in the corrupt precinct or prosecutor's office down there, he's toast. Even if the law let's him go, I'm willing to bet the the criminal's people will get to him sooner or later, whether by law suit or bullet, or both. I know this sounds a bit crazy but you need to live it to understand.

Feel sorry for the guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links