A local fallen blue warrior:(. Officer down.

This is a discussion on A local fallen blue warrior:(. Officer down. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Fort Myers Police Department has released the following statement detailing the chain of events surrounding the death of 30-year-old rookie officer Andrew Widman: “Just ...

Thread: A local fallen blue warrior:(. Officer down.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

A local fallen blue warrior:(. Officer down.

The Fort Myers Police Department has released the following statement detailing the chain of events surrounding the death of 30-year-old rookie officer Andrew Widman:

“Just before 2 a.m. Officer Widman was patrolling the downtown area as the nightclubs began to close. Officer Widman encountered a domestic disturbance between a man and his girlfriend. Witnesses who saw the domestic dispute say the man became enraged and threats were made to responding officers. Moments later he shot Officer Widman at close range in the face. Officer Widman never drew his weapon.

"Several other officers began to chase the perpetrator as he fled the scene. According to witnesses the perpetrator was actively shooting at the officers. The officers were forced to take cover and return fire. The perpetrator died on scene.

“The Fort Myers Police Department is conducting an investigation that will be turned over to the Office of the State Attorney. Per policy officer involved shootings require officers to be placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. The officers placed on leave are: Officer Alain Gagnon, Officer B.J. Ades, Officer Wolfgang Daniel and Officer Mike Perry.

“Officer Widman was hired April 12, 2007. He leaves behind a wife and three children. They family requested the media respect their privacy during this difficult time.”

Police department releases statement about shooting | news-press.com | The News-Press
    Naples man suspected of killing Fort Myers officer | news-press.com | The News-Press
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    My best friend (cop) went to the academy with this guy. There's not really right words for this.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

ummm... not to stir a pot -o-dung or anything... but don't we get post after post after relentless post of our fellow ccw'ers who are ready and willing to jump right in and defend someone they don't even know when they see a guy beating his girlfriend on the street? All this "well I ain't gonna stand by and watch... I got my permit!" or words to that effect.

Well, this is a sobering incident where it was the officers job to intervene, and now he's dead. And there was more than one officer there... Imagine the lone ranger ccw holder who has never been through the police academy learning deescalation techniques, ground fighting, unarmed defense, crisis intervention techniques...

You never know what you are getting into. It may be the last thing you do on earth.

Very sad incident! Never even had a chance to draw his gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The sad part is that the dirtbag criminal had a looooooong record and should not have been on the street
    NRA Member

That's why I carry.... They ARE out on the streets! And walk among us everyday!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I hate hearing those two words together.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

May God bless his soul, rescue him and reward him with the eternal life he deserves.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Judgment Day for a Police Officer

.....Author Unknown

The policeman stood and faced his God,
    Which must always come to pass.
    He hoped his shoes were shining.
    Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, Policeman.
    How shall I deal with you?
    Have you always turned the other cheek?
    To my Church have you been true?"

The policeman squared his shoulders and said,
    "No, Lord I guess I ain't,
    Because those of us who carry badges
    Can't always be a Saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
    And at times my work was rough,
    and sometimes I've been violent,
    Because the streets are awfully tough.

But I never took a penny,
    That wasn't mine to keep,
    I worked a lot of overtime
    When the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
    Though at times I shook with fear.
    And sometimes, God forgive me,
    I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
    among the people here.
    They never wanted me around
    Except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here, Lord
    It needn't be so grand.
    I never expected or had too much,
    But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was silence all around the Throne
    Where the Saints had often trod.
    As the policeman waited quietly,
    For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, policeman,
    You've borne your burdens well.
    Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets,
    You've done your time in Hell."
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ummm... not to stir a pot -o-dung or anything... but don't we get post after post after relentless post of our fellow ccw'ers who are ready and willing to jump right in and defend someone they don't even know when they see a guy beating his girlfriend on the street? All this "well I ain't gonna stand by and watch... I got my permit!" or words to that effect.

Well, this is a sobering incident where it was the officers job to intervene, and now he's dead. And there was more than one officer there... Imagine the lone ranger ccw holder who has never been through the police academy learning deescalation techniques, ground fighting, unarmed defense, crisis intervention techniques...

You never know what you are getting into. It may be the last thing you do on earth.

Very sad incident! Never even had a chance to draw his gun.
    Bark'n, this is an excellent point...and the reason I understand the posts that describe only being a good witness. It's a cruel world out there!
    Our thoughts and prayers go to this cops family.

Stay armed...watch where you put your nose...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are no real words here except of anger..........

and love and compassion for the fallen officer, his family, and his brothers and sisters
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Rest in peace, Officer Widman. Prayers for comfort and strength for his family, friends, and fellow officers.

"It is not how these officers died that made them heroes, it is how they lived."- Vivian Eney, Survivor, on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Washington, DC
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Links