Wendys Shooting in West Palm Beach

This is a discussion on Wendys Shooting in West Palm Beach within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you may recall the shoting that took place in a Wendys in West Palm Beach several months ago. A man walked out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wendys Shooting in West Palm Beach

Some of you may recall the shoting that took place in a Wendys in West Palm Beach several months ago. A man walked out of the rest room, shot and killed a fire fighter, who had returned to the restaurant to exchange a toy for his son, and then shot a number of other patrons in the restaurant.

One of the couples that were shot live in my community, and we were with them last night at a dinner party with two other couples. The husband and wife were both shot, spent time in the hospital but survived.

During the course of the evening the discussion turned to what had happened that day. I took the opportunity to ask the husband the following question: "If you had been lawfully armed with a handgun and had trained with it, do you think that you could have prevented you and your wife and others from being shot?"

He said he believed that he probably could have because he and his wife were under a table with a clear view of the shooter and there was an opportunity when he could have taken out the shooter when the shooter was putting a new magazine in his gun after emptying his first mag.

Those folks were lucky they survived.The Lesson learned for me once again is that any one of us can be the victim of a random act of violence at any time and at any place, so never go out unarmed.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Thanks for asking. Ask him if he wants to go shooting ?. He may want to get his permit.

This happened close to where I live and I was so pissed because many times I would run back for a toy for my son. I felt so bad for the family of the firefighter.

Every shooting will be different and you might or might not be able to take a shot but anything that can take a shooter off his game plan is worth the life of others. Always be armed. Ron it was good of you to ask. I know you must have been sensitive about it.
    NRA Member

Thanks for posting that Ron.......good job. I am glad to hear they both recovered.

Was the subject of a possiable trip to the range touched upon?
    Just for the sake of anonymously posted info, did they expound on the events of that evening any further as well?......Or was it a subject best left for later discussion, if at all?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post Ron. And I am sure everybody here at DC wants to convey our feelings that we are glad they are OK.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

+1 Ron... Great that you had to opportunity to get feedback from one of the survivors. It also confirms what a lot of us already suspected to be true.

When someone is on a shooting rampage, there is often a "opportunity" for intervention if only one of the bystanders is armed and prepared to engage.

I am absolutely glad your friends are OK! No doubt it was a life changing event for them... I am sure the guy you talked to is already considering ccw in the future.

Thanks again for the post! Very helpful, at least for me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That is why we carry there is no worse feeling in the world than not being able to defend yourself or your loved ones from some maniac that decides to randomly start shooting people and as the OP stated when the BG was swapping mags is a good time to "smoke" him or anytime you have a clear shot and can engage,I don't think most BG's are expecting to encounter people with guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...I don't think most BG's are expecting to encounter people with guns
    Exactly the point! They do not expect anyone to be shooting back! Especially someone who at that point, is just a bystander! They know what are! That's why they prey on them.

Someone keeps their cool, waits for an opportunity to present itself, and they would enjoy the element of surprise when they take their shot. There are almost always opportunities that present themselves to either escape or respond during such incidents.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

From what they told me, after he shot the firefighter in the back, he then started to just shoot randomly spraying bullets around the restaurant.

The wife was shot in the leg and butt. As a somewhat humerous side note, she said that when the paramedics arrived they took her outside the resaurant, cut off all of her clothes and rolled her over looking for an exit wound. She laughed about it when she told the story at dinner, but said that it was not very funny at the time as she lay totally naked .

She also told us that one of the other women who had been in the restaurant and was not hit, came out and held her hand to comfort her.

They seemed amazingly OK considering the horror they had been through.

One of the other guys at dinner is a retired Florida State Trooper. He and I and the husband who was shot are planning to have lunch to talk more about what happened and, at that time we will talk about his getting a license and going to the range with us.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Wow!

This is the kind of thing that makes you just cringe..I know I made the right decision when I recently got my permit.
    I'm not comfortable carrying all the time but the more of this I see, the easier it becomes!

God bless these folks and thanks for posting this info.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

Ron,

Again, thanks for what I know was a sensitive inquiry.
    And thanks for the post.

You have reminded us of why we carry.
    Perhaps you can enlighten the 2 folks who found out the hard way just how unpredictable the world can be.

Always good to hear your point of view.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    From what they told me, after he shot the firefighter in the back, he then started to just shoot randomly spraying bullets around the restaurant.
    Ron thanks for the very informative post, as you stated the BG was randomly spraying the restaurant. When that happens your options are limited, you can stay where you are and hope you become invisible, try to run and hope the BG isn't very good at moving targets, or return fire. Even if you don't hit your target, a lot of times just having a hail of bullets hitting all around them, they will have a tendency to turn and run or pause long enough for you to re-adjust your sight picture. Tell your friends we're all happy they are ok and able to get along with their lives.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Thanks all. I will, indeed, extend to our friends shot at Wendys your best wishes.

And although it was a sensitive question, which my wife did not want me to ask for fear of offending, I felt that I could not pass up this unique opportunity to get the reaction of someone who was shot in a random act of violence and was not armed, but could have been.
    Last edited by Ron; July 20th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.

J. R. R. Tolkien

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links