Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix

This is a discussion on Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix posted by Orlando Sentinel on Jul 21, 2008 9:38:20 AM Discuss This: Comments (0) | TrackBack ...

Thread: Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Thumbs down Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix

posted by Orlando Sentinel on Jul 21, 2008 9:38:20 AM
    Discuss This: Comments (0) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
    Two gunmen robbed employees of a northwest Seminole County grocery store of cash and cell phones this morning, but were unable to get into the store's safe, authorities said.

The men entered the Publix at Lake Forest on State Road 46, west of Sanford, through a rear delivery door about 5:45 a.m., said Seminole County Sheriff's spokeswoman Kim Cannaday. There were 10 to 15 employees in the store at the time and they were forced into a cooler, she said. Two suffered minor injuries.

-- Gary Taylor

Orlando Sentinel - Gunmen steal cash, cell phones from Seminole County Publix by Orlando Sentinel Criminal Justice Editor John Cutter

Another Victim Disarmament Zone struck by BG's who either a) couldn't read and therefore didn't know Publix Supermarkets don't allow firearms on its property; or b) knew it was easy pickings and entered without fear of reprisal.

Edited to add: My wife used to deliver USA Today at this store and the back door was rarely locked in the early AM.
    Last edited by sniper58; July 21st, 2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: add URL
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Maybe they can track the BG's when they use the stolen phones.

Not too smart for Publix to have this policy, now all the BG's will be picking on them.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

VIP Member
    IIRC, this policy is of very long standing with Publix. One of several reasons why I do not patronize their business (high, sometimes outrageously so, prices being another). Also, every time I am in one, I start to feel like I have walked into the supermarket at which the Stepford Wives shopped.

I hope the perpetrators are apprehended swiftly, and I am happy no one was seriously injured.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

This is a newer store that serves a very nice area made up of several affluent, gated communities.......

Anytime, anywhere.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post

Another Victim Disarmament Zone struck by BG's who either a) couldn't read and therefore didn't know Publix Supermarkets don't allow firearms on its property
    Just to clarify. Is this rule for employees only?
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    I know the one here in Tennessee close to me is posted with a sign that it is illegal to bring firearms into a store where alcoholic beverages are sold, and that violators will be charged with a misdemeanor (at least). That has not been the law in Tennessee since long before the store opened at that location (Publix took over a store location from a chain that was purchased by a financial group in Texas simply to dismantle and sell off the assets--"Take the money and run, boys!" ), and they know it. The sign has no legal weight in Tennessee; they simply do not welcome firearms in the hands of the law-abiding there.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Publix is just as bad as Disney when it comes to guns on their properties.. They were pushing just as hard to stop the "guns to work" law. It seems they are getting paid back. Once again a "so called" gun free zone becomes the victim of non-law abiding scum. You reap what you sew....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Another Victim Disarmament Zone struck by BG's who either a) couldn't read and therefore didn't know Publix Supermarkets don't allow firearms on its property; or b) knew it was easy pickings and entered without fear of reprisal.

Edited to add: My wife used to deliver USA Today at this store and the back door was rarely locked in the early AM.
    Yup. When something's common knowledge, it's hard to guard against. "Loose lips" can, quite literally, become a matter of life and death.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The 'No Weapons Policy' must be for employees...no such thing in FL for visitors...IF discovered (and one shouldn't be) you can only be asked to leave.
    I've been to many Publix stores, and this is the first time I've heard of any anti-feelings towards CCW.

Stay armed...guns are part of the 'staples'...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 22nd, 2008 at 04:44 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've never seen a sign on any of the Publix around here.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Haven't seen a sign at Publix since I've been carrying and known what to look for.

Employee policy? Probably.
    Customers. Stay armed...shop...stay safe, to quote RetSupt99.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    No, I believe this applies to employees and customers alike. Publix management is under the misguided impression that no guns means total safety. This sad [preventable] incident should cause a light bulb to luminate in someone's skull, but I'm not holding my breath. I enjoyed Publix for almost 23 years but found its social policy lacking common sense.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links