GOOD: Don't Bring A BB Gun To A Gunfight - Columbus, OH

This is a discussion on GOOD: Don't Bring A BB Gun To A Gunfight - Columbus, OH within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Columbus Dispatch : Man killed trying to rob home, police say An 18-year-old man armed with a BB gun was fatally shot while trying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Don't Bring A BB Gun To A Gunfight - Columbus, OH

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Don't Bring A BB Gun To A Gunfight - Columbus, OH

The Columbus Dispatch : Man killed trying to rob home, police say

An 18-year-old man armed with a BB gun was fatally shot while trying to rob the residents of a Franklinton home yesterday afternoon, police said.

Police arrested his two alleged accomplices, one of whom was his brother, and charged them with murder for taking part in a crime that resulted in his death.

The resident who fired the fatal shot was released after questioning by police. A Franklin County grand jury will decide whether he acted in self-defense or should be indicted for a crime, police said.

Terrance W. Jackson, described by police as a college student from out of state, died at Mount Carmel West hospital at 1:51 p.m., about an hour and 40 minutes after the shooting at 641 W. Chapel St.

Police said Jackson was accompanied by his brother Cashius D. Jackson and Cashius' girlfriend, Lucretia D. Fudge, when he attempted to rob Joshua A. LeMaster's home at 12:10 p.m. LeMaster was one of four residents in the home at the time.

LeMaster shot Jackson in the chest and arm. Jackson ran across the street and collapsed on the sidewalk, where he was unresponsive when found by police, Sgt. Joan Schlabach said.

"He's protecting his family. He's protecting my home," said LeMaster's roommate, who was asleep upstairs when the shots were fired. "It's (expletive) when you can't leave your front door open."

Several neighbors said they heard three to five shots and saw two people run toward the Inn Towne Motel, four blocks north at 595 W. Broad St.

Terrance Jackson and three other people were staying in one of two rooms rented under the name Cassius R. Jackson, a manager at the motel confirmed.

Cashius Jackson, 26, faces one count of murder, and Fudge, 17, faces a delinquency count of murder. Police listed Cashius Jackson's address as 1750 Bryden Rd. and Fudge's as 1360 Phale D. Hale Dr.

LeMaster's roommate, who asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation, said the intruders didn't know any of the residents, and there was nothing of value in their home. Police said they did not know why the home was targeted.

LeMaster's girlfriend told police that Terrance Jackson held a gun, later identified as a BB gun, to her head. LeMaster pulled out a real gun and shot him in the living room.

An Ohio law taking effect in September will establish a presumption that people who shoot someone invading their home are acting in self-defense.

The incident was at least the third in the past two years in which a Franklinton resident has fatally shot an intruder.

In March 2006, Sharon Barnhouse, 29, shot John Chandler, 19, on her front porch at 932 Sullivant Ave. In March 2007, Virgil Lovejoy, 79, shot John Anthony Ross at Lovejoy's house at 962 Sullivant Ave.

Those residents were found to have acted in self-defense.

Neighbors blamed the Inn Towne Motel for some of the area's problems.

The motel manager denied that there is a crime problem there and said he has heard no complaints.

Several "No Trespassing" signs are posted at the motel, where front-office employees are separated from the lobby by security glass.

In 2004, a homicide victim was found hidden under a bed there.
    Good on the roommate for being prepared, not so good on the media for releasing the address.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    The Columbus Dispatch : Man killed trying to rob home, police say

Good on the roommate for being prepared, not so good on the media for releasing the address.
    The Columbus Dispatch isn't known for their great intelligence.

Good for the homeowner hope he comes out of it ok. Don't bring a bb gun to a gunfight, you will probably lose.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Great job by the homeowner.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    So if I'm understanding this right, the co-conspiritors face murder charges because they were involved in an attempted robbery where their thug buddy was killed as a result of the true victims defending themselves?

On one hand, that sounds awesome! On the other hand, it sounds like a scary way of twisting the law around. Am I missing something?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Life is tough! Death comes easy when you are STUPID!..a BB gun?? moron!
    "Brains before Bullets"

A lot of states during the commission of a crime if anybody is killed including the criminals the other participants can be charged with murder,I think he should of stayed home and studied how to make an honest living instead of figuring out how to die at a young age
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Good for the homeowner! Didn't Ohio just pass a Castle Doctrine law to take effect at a later date? Notice the Dispatch was (once again) quick to print the victim's address, but not the perp's.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    So if I'm understanding this right, the co-conspiritors face murder charges because they were involved in an attempted robbery where their thug buddy was killed as a result of the true victims defending themselves?

On one hand, that sounds awesome! On the other hand, it sounds like a scary way of twisting the law around. Am I missing something?
    Florida has this law in place. In my opinion it's a good law. It might not be a deterrent to criminals because they don't care about the law anyway but it's puts them away longer for their crimes.
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator

That is often known as the felony murder doctrine.

felony murder doctrine n. a rule of criminal statutes that any death which occurs during the commission of a felony is first degree murder, and all participants in that felony or attempted felony can be charged with and found guilty of murder. A typical example is a robbery involving more than one criminal, in which one of them shoots, beats to death or runs over a store clerk, killing the clerk. Even if the death were accidental, all of the participants can be found guilty of felony murder, including those who did no harm, had no gun, and/or did not intend to hurt anyone. In a bizarre situation, if one of the hold-up men or women is killed, his fellow robbers can be charged with murder.

felony murder doctrine legal definition of felony murder doctrine. felony murder doctrine synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    Just another one of the drawbacks to being a scumbag.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Tennessee also has a "felony murder doctrine" statute. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or needle, or chair).
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I see the criminals also had their home addresses published. That's a switch.

Gee. They didn't call the dead 18 year old man an 18 year old teen. That's not right. They're always called a teen or youth until they're 25...at least that's how the news always reports it.

Administrator
    Sounds like an area where some unlucky home invaders are finding new "Six Feet Under" cozy homes to invade permanently and for all eternity.

When dirtbags get killed doing a crime and a surviving dirtbag gets the death penalty...I call that a "Two Fer"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pretty common, as others have said. I think it's a good law. If you create a violent and criminal situation, you are responsible for any of the negative effects of that environment.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links