SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers-Melbourne, FL

This is a discussion on SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers-Melbourne, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers BY JOE PAGAN AND J.D. GALLOP FLORIDA ...

Thread: SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers-Melbourne, FL

SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

SWAT safely removes Office Depot workers

BY JOE PAGAN AND J.D. GALLOP FLORIDA TODAY July 22, 2008

WEST MELBOURNE -- More than a dozen armed SWAT team members shattered the front door and entered the Office Depot store at 1131 West New Haven Ave. in West Melbourne, where it's believed two men have been holding employees at bay since about 6:30 a.m.

A helicopter hovered overhead and an armored vehicle approached the store just before 9 a.m. as SWAT team members ran into the store.

As of 9:156 a.m., all of the employees have been cleared from the store, but officers are not aware if any body remains inside. Employees emerged from the back of the store with their hands in the air. One person who appeared to be a store employee was put into an ambulance. He did not appear to be seriously injured.

In the parking lot, officers with dogs went from car to car. No one has been found inside the store. The bulk of the SWAT team remains inside the store. Officers remain in the parking lot with their weapons drawn, and dogs were used to search vehicles in the lot.

According to Cmdr. Steve Wilkinson of West Melbourne Police Department, at 6:35 a.m. Office Depot employees were ambushed by at least two robbers, one with a handgun, one with a knife. One employee was cut, but it was not a serious injury. Just before 9 a.m., the SWAT team was able to enter the store, move safely through the store and made their way to the manager's office, where they found the employees and led them out the back door with their hands up. They've all been safely removed from the store.

Just after 9 a.m., several members of the Melbourne Police Department SWAT team moved through the parking lot with their guns drawn, along with a canine officer. There are still three civilian cars in the parking lot. U.S. 192 at Dairy Road remains closed. The sheriff's helicopter remains in the air.

Earlier this morning , a negotiator was on the scene and a SWAT team were being dispatched to the area. West Melbourne Police was assisted by Melbourne Police and Brevard County sheriff's deputies.

Brevard County Fire-Rescue was called to the scene, where a man was reportedly suffering a head injury from an assault inside the store. The store opened at 7 a.m.

Deputies and officers cordoned off entrances to the Office Depot Centre, where the Wild Oats grocery store used to be.

Officers armed with M-16s were stationed behind palm trees and their cars.

One officer with a police dog on a leash was posted several feet from the entrance.

"It was all quarantined off when I got here," said Steve Seidl, a manager at the store. "I usually get here an hour after everybody else. It's luck, I guess."

Seidl was visibly worried, but was unaware of what was going on. "I know about as much as you do. There's three of them in there," he said of the number of co-workers in the store. "You're scared for them," he said.

Wilkinson said at least one employee was tied up. Also, officers were communicating by cell phone with employees in the store, but it still was unclear whether the suspects remain in the store, he said.

"I just feel really bad for those people inside," said Dean Sharinos, who works for Parker Health Care, a business directly across the street from Office Depot. "This is West Melbourne -- nothing is supposed to happen here."

Officers closed off U.S. 192 eastbound and detoured traffic at Shannon Road across from H&R Block. Westbound traffic remained open.

Just before 8 a.m., the parking lot was cluttered with sheriff's patrol cars, rolling into the area. Some deputies were dressed in camouflage. BCSO SWAT team members are setting up at the scene, pointing their assault weapons toward the eastern side of the building.

SWAT team members went around the building on the western side. One of the SWAT members was carrying a sledge hammer. A sheriff's helicopter hovered overhead.

A Melbourne officer yelled at a couple walking in the direction of the Office Depot Center:

"Go back now, the road is closed."

SWAT team alerted officers that Office Depot employees were wearing their blue shirts uniforms to distinguish them from the suspects.

In the Office Depot Centre, there were three civilian vehicles in the parking lot. At the front door no one was visible, but immediately to the right of the front door one officer was stationed with a canine and two other uniformed officers.

SWAT brought in an armored vehicle.

"SWAT is working their tactics to get in there to determine if the perpetrators are inside, " Wilkinson said.
    This area is usually considered (by most) as very safe.
    Not too far from our mall.

Anytime. Anyone. Anywhere.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Last I heard, they got the employees out, but did not apprehend the bad guys and are actively looking for them.

Actually only a few miles from my house.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Anytime. Anyone. Anywhere.
    +1

It's a corprate policy that employee's can't carry, isn't it?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

This is like 2 minutes from my place. I had to go back home this morning (to change clothes - stupid Florida) after changing my tire on the way to work (grr) and passed the Brevard County Sheriff SWAT Tank coming down the road.

I told everyone at work I had to stop by Office Depot on the way in..

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    +1

It's a corprate policy that employee's can't carry, isn't it?
    I don't know the answer to that.
    Given the climate in most corporations these days,
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were Free Fire Zones.

They think the same 2 suspects may be responsible for an attempted armed robbery of a CVS pharmacy a few miles a way earlier this a.m.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; July 22nd, 2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added 'attempted'
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Police think there may be a connection to an earlier robbery attempt in Indialantic earlier in the morning, where the suspects fled in a vehicle, crashed, and then got away on foot.

-JT

VIP Member
    nothing is supposed to happen here
    Yeah right....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Police have select-fire M-16s?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've never noticed a HD with any signs about guns (not that it means anything).
    Anywhere, anytime...how true that statement is...and if the economy takes a real dive or we get multi-city attacks, 'stand by'...

Stay armed...everywhere, all the time...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's one way to get out of work...911 what's your emergency were being held in a building and forced to work for crappy wages and we were just told we had to work mandatory overtime and couldn't leave until the work was done,Hang on one minute sir a SWAT team is on it's way.
    Most patrol rifles are only Semi Automatic but some Swat teams use select fire M16's and some have the 3 shot burst,some swat teams only use semi auto AR15's and have full auto MP5's in 9mm which is easier to control a burst in full auto mode
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    My entire immediate family lives in Melbourne. Fortunately, they all carry.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Police have select-fire M-16s?
    This is a Brevard Co. S.O. SWAT unit.

They will likely have better equipment than W. Melbourne P.D.

WMPD may not have more than 1 bullet per LEO.
    Just a joke...I think.

Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links