Good: Store owner shoots robber

This is a discussion on Good: Store owner shoots robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man even the beauty supply stores are tough in Mobile. Video interview: Robber Shot - al.com Store owner shoots robber Posted by Ron Colquitt, Staff ...

Thread: Good: Store owner shoots robber

Good: Store owner shoots robber

Man even the beauty supply stores are tough in Mobile.

Video interview:
    Robber Shot - al.com

Store owner shoots robber
    Posted by Ron Colquitt, Staff Reporter
    July 22, 2008 2:11 PM

Store owner shoots robber - Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com

Eli Nichols, owner of Beauty Closet in the 600 block of Holcombe Avenue in Mobile, shot one of two men who were attempting to rob the business Sauturday night.

Mobile police identified the wounded man as Jamichael Thomas, 21. A slug fired from the 12-gauge shotgun struck Thomas in the right arm, Nichols said.

Police arrested Demarcus Ratcliff, 19, who was identified as the man with Thomas during the attempted robbery. He was charged with first-degree robbery in connection with that attempted holdup.

Nichols, who served as an Army military police officer in Iraq, said he fired three shots inside the store and six outside. Some of the shots fired outside struck the getaway car, he said.

2. Remove Ads

3 shots fired in the store and 6 outside with some of the shots hitting the car,this guy needs to switch to 00 buck firing slugs out of a shotgun that you haven't sighted in is extremely risky ,I've seen slugs miss POA by over a foot and more at 25 yards.also firing random shots outside can cause lots of collateral damage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This just in...

Slug Fest at the Beauty Closet

Nichols defeats Demarcus and Jamichael

Team Nichols 2

Demarcus & Jamichael 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    sounds like he better be careful chasing people outside the store and continuing to shoot.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

In Texas you can pursue and shoot but if you hit or kill an innocent party you can be charged ,so all those errant shots went somewhere,and he's lucky they didn't hit any innocent people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Update:More info

Business owner shoots suspect
    Posted by RON COLQUITT July 23, 2008 6:43 AM

Business owner shoots suspect - Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com

Eli Nichols' said his military experience and "flight or fight" instinct kicked in Saturday night as he began firing his 12-gauge, pump shotgun, wounding one of the two men police said where attempting to rob his store.

Nichols, owner of Beauty Closet in the 600 block of Holcombe Avenue off Government Street, said Tuesday that he fired three shots inside the store and six outside, reloading only once. Some of the slugs struck the getaway car, he said.

"My reaction was basically involuntary," said Nichols, who served in Iraq. "It's just that flight or fight, you know."

One of the slugs hit 21-year-old Jamichael Thomas in the right arm, police said. The slug tore a hole in the man's upper arm, Nichols said.

Thomas was taken to Mobile Infirmary. He was released Tuesday and taken to Mobile County Metro Jail, where he was booked on a first-degree robbery charge.

Police identified Demarcus Ratcliff, 19, as the second robber. Ratcliff also was arrested on a first-degree robbery charge, and he faces two additional counts of first-degree robbery stemming from other, recent holdups, police said.

Nichols' store, which he opened in 2006, sells beauty supplies, beer, wine, cigarettes, snacks and other items.

Two men entered the business about 9 p.m. Saturday, and one of them pulled a semiautomatic pistol and aimed it at Nichols, he said.

Nichols said the man shouted, "Give me your money. Give me everything in the drawer."

While serving as an Army military police officer in Iraq in 2003, Nichols said, he had been shot at several times, so he is accustomed to danger.

Nichols said he didn't experience fear when the pistol was pointed out him ? only heightened awareness.

The store owner said he grabbed his shotgun and fired three shots at the man with the pistol, with one of the slugs striking the other man, identified by police as Thomas. Nichols said he then chased the robbers outside, shooting at their vehicle.

"I feel like I've been here two years and this is my corner, and I'm not going nowhere," Nichols said. "It's like somebody coming in my house. I'm not going to be scared in my own house."

Thomas was being held at Metro Jail without bail Tuesday afternoon, and Ratcliff was being held on $180,000 bail, according to jail records.

One more stat in the armed citizen's column!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I bet in some states he would have gone to jail after running outside and shooting at the vehicle. Personally I appluad him for his actions against the robbers but DA's don't always see it the same way.

Links