Robberies on the way to or from the range - Page 2

Robberies on the way to or from the range

This is a discussion on Robberies on the way to or from the range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got shot at as I was leaving the local "shooting spot" years ago. I was out of ammo then and had to make a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robberies on the way to or from the range

I got shot at as I was leaving the local "shooting spot" years ago. I was out of ammo then and had to make a mad dash for the car and trust that he was either just kidding around or a terrible shot. But never again since. I always save at least a full magazine/cylinder for the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Same here. I keep a Crown Royal bag in my range bag for the purpose of holding my carry ammo while I'm shooting, and my brass once I've reloaded my carry gun.
    ha! I use a Crown bag for that too. I never throw those damn bags out so I use them for everything.

I swap out my spare mags with target ammo at home, but I leave SD ammo in the gun.

I would never go to/from the range without a loaded gun on my belt. The ranges in Vegas aren't in the best areas. There's a whore house right next to my favorite range. It's strip club attached to a massage parlor. Gee, wonder what goes on in there.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

I always keep one gun concealed on my person on range day. I may take 4, 5, or 6 different guns to shoot, but always dedicate a non-shooter to concealment on range day.

A friend of mine is Rangemaster who knows this and we kind of cover one anothers"6", if you know what I'm talking about.

Armed going to and from the range

This thread has given me food for thought. BTW, I carry everywhere it is legal, including going to and from the range (which I do weekly).
    On Labor Day, I went to the range/gun store to pick up some stuff. I had been to the range two days earlier; this day I was just picking up a pepper spray for my daughter and some cleaning supplies.
    About a mile from the range, after leaving, two black guys tried to carjack me. Fortunately I saw them coming, from the car behind me, one on each side of my car. They ran into a parking lot immediately when I aimed at the BG on my side of the car. The car they had been in followed into the parking lot.
    The first I saw their car clearly was at the light where they made their attempt. But it is possible they have been at the traffic light north of the range and saw me pull out. I really don't know, but it is possible.

Miami

IIRC, didn't Platt and Mattix of FBI shootout infamy steal some firearms from some folks shooting at improvised outdoor ranges in south FL?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbarn View Post
    Assuming you can carry, why would you go to or from the range without a loaded weapon?
    The ranges here are all posted 'No loaded firearms?- doesn't make much sense, has no legal power and I ignore. The gun stays in my holster until I'm on the range, I clear it, drop the mag then use the spare mags to shoot range ammo with. Reload with SD ammo and leave with gun in holster. There is no way I'm walking across a parking lot with a couple of thousand dollars worth of weapons and no way of protecting them or myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I take out my hollowpoints when I get to the range, shoot the cheap stuff, and put the hollowpoints back in before I leave.
    Ditto on that. I reload the good stuff after I'm done practicing, even though the gun has not been cleaned yet.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I live in the area where the news story of father and son robbery incidient occured. The range were the father and son were shooting was in a very nice "high end" gun range in what you would say is a very nice area. The good guys were followed all the way back to Oviedo(solid 40 minutes) which is also a upper middle class community. The bad guys had carefully followed the good guys through the 'security entrance gate " to their driveway.
    Always be prepared leaving a gun range and be aware of who might be following you.

Didn't a Church Pastor get murdered in W.Virginia this summer at a gravel pit range for his belongings?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Ditto on that. I reload the good stuff after I'm done practicing, even though the gun has not been cleaned yet.
    +1 ... I can't believe somebody would shoot all his ammo ... tell me it ain't so
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I usually carry five or six weapons to the range. If two of us go, it will many times be ten or twelve. I never drive straight to my home with guns in the truck. And I don't leave the range without my JHPs in my clean .45.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

When I go for classes or just to shoot, the guys at our gun range ENCOURAGE us to get reloaded before we leave. After all, Memphis is "Mogadishu on the Mississippi..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links