Robberies on the way to or from the range

Robberies on the way to or from the range

This is a discussion on Robberies on the way to or from the range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Or could be at the range. I'm looking for news articles on bad guys robbing gun owners of their firearms. Can anybody recall seeing news ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robberies on the way to or from the range

Question Robberies on the way to or from the range

Or could be at the range. I'm looking for news articles on bad guys robbing gun owners of their firearms. Can anybody recall seeing news articles on such robberies? Something that's not just anecdotal? Or has anybody had it happen to them personally? Please PM me if you'd rather not post it here. Thanks.

Administrator
    There was at least one that happened in Cincinnati in the late 90's or early 00's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is a good reason to have your edc loaded and ready to go when you are traveling to and from the range. I am always leery because thieves know that you have firearms (obviously), and that when you are done that you have shot all of your ammo up and now no longer have a loaded handgun on you.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    that you have shot all of your ammo up and now no longer have a loaded handgun on you.
    I take out my hollowpoints when I get to the range, shoot the cheap stuff, and put the hollowpoints back in before I leave.

Any BG will get a surprise if he assumes I'm shooting empty.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I do the same. Take out the SD ammo, shoot the cheap (used to be cheap) stuff and then reload with SD ammo before I leave. Even before I really started to carry, I would always leave one mag full in the gun for the drive home.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Assuming you can carry, why would you go to or from the range without a loaded weapon?
    I try to be aware all the times, especially when doing something obviously involving firearms.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

I stay armed on the way to, while at, and coming from the range.

Stay armed...remember, anytime/anywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thanks, Ram Rod. I'm googling too, but it helps to get other input. Like you said, different keywords can get different results. I appreciate your help.

A situation here where some guys went to a gun dealers house (assuming the guns would be there.. they weren't) and shot him and his wife while sleeping in bed. They had 3 daughters, who saw them, but they did not harm them. They were caught.

There's a case where a friend was at a gun show which did NOT allow conceal carry, and as they came out 2 guys pulled guns in the parking lot on them ..... to rob them. One of his friends with him, pulled an "empty" gun and then they backed up to their car ..... jumped in car and took off.

Best advice : never assume anything. You can get robbed at gunpoint anywhere, at any time, by anyone.......... including your own driveway.

A guy approached a father / son in Topeka, Ks in their yard, and attempted to rob them. Father/son got the advantage on him, and now the robber is in the hospital, under arrest, with a big lump on his head.

A woman pulled in her driveway , getting home from work, 2 men walking down the street approached her.... pulling out a gun and told her to give them her purse (not a bad part of town). She refused and they nearly beat her to death .....

There are thousands of examples of "always be prepared".

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Same here! 24/7.......No compromise.

I carry 24/7 I usually don't shoot my concealed gun at the range and have enough handguns I can swap out,I am more concerned about my buddy when he leaves the gun range with his full autos,even tho he's armed if he had somebody wanted those full autos bad enough it could be ugly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I take out my hollowpoints when I get to the range, shoot the cheap stuff, and put the hollowpoints back in before I leave.
    Same here. I keep a Crown Royal bag in my range bag for the purpose of holding my carry ammo while I'm shooting, and my brass once I've reloaded my carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I'm VERY aware of what's going on around me at the range.........I have to keep an eye out on those around me while at the range. More that once I've secured my visit due to unsafe actions by some 'not-so-safe' idiots.

I always have a loaded magizine with my carry rounds 'set aside' with a sidearm I'm not shooting standing by, ready to go. I have two 'handfulls' of extra mag sfor all my sidearms.

Going to or leaving the range, I'm armed just like any other time I'm out and about......and because I'm always going to the range with three or more guns I'm pretty focused on where I'm at, what I'm doing, and what's going on around me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

as was said before, going to, while at, and leaving the range ---- Have a loaded firearm on your person.

I see so many people at the range leave their empty pistols next to a box of ammo or filled magazines to post their targets. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

It is like people carry to protect themselves and then feel an aura of invincibility or are lulled into complacency while posting targets at the range.

You should be able to find a few incidents on this board of bad things happening when someone left their firearm on the firing line and was not armed.

When I am at range there is a revolver in my pocket at all times. If I am practicing from concealment, my firearm (when not firing) is in my holster with full mag and a round chambered. I also carry extra mags with my jhps. If I am not practicing from concealment, my EDC is in my holster and my spare mag is in my mag carrier, as always.

I'd hate to check out because I was murdered on a range changing targets and had no ready to fire firearms on my person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links