GOOD: Homeowner Stops Home Invasion - Williston, FL

This is a discussion on GOOD: Homeowner Stops Home Invasion - Williston, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Home invasion suspect shot, killed by resident; four others arrested | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL WILLISTON – One of two men who forced ...

Thread: GOOD: Homeowner Stops Home Invasion - Williston, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Home invasion suspect shot, killed by resident; four others arrested | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

WILLISTON – One of two men who forced their way into a Williston-area home early Wednesday was shot to death by one of the home’s occupants, a shooting that authorities described as self-defense.

Jonathan Gaal, 19, of Ocala, was shot and killed at a Williston-area home that sheriff's deputies believe he had broken into.

The second suspected intruder, along with three alleged accomplices, are in jail after an investigation by Marion County sheriff’s deputies of the attempted home invasion robbery.

Investigators said the home invasion occurred about 2:30 a.m. at the home Roger Dan Garrison, 49, in the 19000 block of Northwest County Road 335.

Two of the suspects, Jonathan Gaal, 19, of Ocala, and Brian Bond, 19, of Summerfield, forced their way inside as three alleged accomplices awaited nearby in a car. According to sheriff’s investigators, Garrison’s brother, Martin Randy Garrison, 54, was asleep on a couch in the living room and had a .25-caliber handgun under the couch. When Gaal pointed a handgun at Martin Garrison, the older man fired three shots at Gaal at point-blank range.

Gaal ran out of the home, but collapsed and died in the front yard.

“I thought it was all a bad dream,” said Roger Garrison later Wednesday, as he cleaned up the house. “I didn’t know what their intentions were. It was scary.”

He said he first realized something was amiss when he heard his dog barking. “We have an American bulldog that stays in the house,” Garrison said. “When Gus barks, somebody is here.”

Garrison went into his living room and saw two men dressed in black with their faces covered, according to the Sheriff’s Office report.

He said he was told to get down on the floor by one of the robbers. At that point, he heard gunshots.

“Boom, boom, boom,” Roger Garrison remembered. “Then I see them running out the back door, and I ran and locked it. I didn’t know if my brother was shot or if they were.

“My brother is still real upset about it. We’ve never been through anything like that before. Robberies are something you hear about, but you never want to go through one. I know that now.”

When deputies arrived, they found Gaal in the yard of the residence with a gun in his hand. Sheriff’s spokeswoman Jennifer Fisher said that Garrison is not facing any immediate charges because he acted in self-defense.

Fisher said that investigators recovered Gaal’s cell phone and answered it when calls came in. That led investigators to the four suspects, who Fisher said cooperated with investigators and gave statements.

“They came in believing that they were just part of a burglary,” Fisher said. “They had no idea about the homicide or that Gaal had died.”

Gaal was the nephew of Jackie Bellomy Jr., 48, of Williston, who investigators believe helped Gaal and Bond get into the home. Wednesday afternoon, sheriff’s officials arrested Bellomy Jr., Bond, Albert Rodriguez, 21, of Belleview, and Richard Bellomy, 24, of Williston, another nephew, for second-degree murder and armed home invasion.

“After hours of questioning all persons involved, detectives were able to piece together a tangled plot to rob the residence in Williston,” Fisher said in a news release. “The Florida State Statute states any person involved in a felony that results in a death can be charged with felony murder.”

Gaal, who lived at 5071 S.E. 70th Loop in Ocala, was released from the Marion County Jail on July 9, after serving about a six-month term for marijuana possession with the intent to sell and for violating his probation from an earlier battery arrest.

The other four suspects were taken to the Marion County Jail.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Sounds like the castle doctrine is working fine.

Gaal, who lived at 5071 S.E. 70th Loop in Ocala, was released from the Marion County Jail on July 9, after serving about a six-month term for marijuana possession with the intent to sell and for violating his probation from an earlier battery arrest.
    At least two arrests before this caper. Sounds like the yoot was well on his way to a career of crime!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

"Martin Randy Garrison, 54, was asleep on a couch in the living room and had a .25-caliber handgun under the couch.... Gaal ran out of the home, but collapsed and died in the front yard."

There was another thread around here making fun of the anemic .25 - and indeed it is. But apparently it was enough to git 'er done this time!
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Garrison is not facing any immediate charges because he acted in self-defense.
    ***? I can't stand statements like this. Good job on the brothers part.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I guess that answers the age old question"which caliber for home invaders?"That's it,I'm selling my .45.....I do love it when BG's get the surprise of their lives and someone fights back.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post

Sounds like the yoot was well on his way to a career of crime!
    Yoot? What's a yoot?!

One of my favorite movies of all time!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Although this dirtbag lived in our school district, he must have been a new move in...never heard the name before...and luckily, he won't be transfering in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At least two arrests before this caper. Sounds like the yoot was well on his way to a career of crime!
    Let's hear it for early (forced) retirement.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
    "Martin Randy Garrison, 54, was asleep on a couch in the living room and had a .25-caliber handgun under the couch.... Gaal ran out of the home, but collapsed and died in the front yard."

There was another thread around here making fun of the anemic .25 - and indeed it is. But apparently it was enough to git 'er done this time!
    Three shots at extremely short range would put most of us down in a hurry. I wonder if it would've performed as well had the perp been loaded to the gills on meth, PCP, heroine (or some combination of the three) with a few shots of Jack Daniels thrown in for kicks and grins.

"Garrison is not facing any immediate charges because he acted in self-defense."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    ***? I can't stand statements like this.
    Sounds just like how the law is written in Texas. It's murder, and then down the page, self defense is an explicit defense to prosecution.

“They came in believing that they were just part of a burglary,” Fisher said. “They had no idea about the homicide or that Gaal had died.”

“After hours of questioning all persons involved, detectives were able to piece together a tangled plot to rob the residence in Williston,” Fisher said in a news release. “The Florida State Statute states any person involved in a felony that results in a death can be charged with felony murder.”

What a bunch of idiots. I guess we should expect that by definition. Sounds like one of these A&E The First 48 Hours episodes. These idiots tell the investigators, hey man we were just going to rob the guy. "K was the one that shot him. I didn't have anything to do with that." They have no idea they just confessed to first degree murder.

What kind of idiot would sit there and let the cops interview them for hours when they know they're involved? They had a 48 hour episode the other day where three people robbed and killed a cab driver (two women, 1 man). They had a hearsay witness that gave them the three names. They got the location and with it, the gun, the personal belongings of the victim, and all three crooks in one apartment. I didn't see any hard evidence linking any one of the three to the murder. Just the hearsay witness. Someone was going down, but they didn't seem to have any particular one of them or the whole group.

Behind door one, they interviewed a 16 year old girl. She wanted a lawyer right off the bat. The only half-witted one of the bunch. No problem, they just head right over to door two. Door two idiot admits to the robbery, too stupid to know she just confessed to 1st degree murder. Door three idiot admits to the murder and implicates the 16 year old, and there ya' go. Case closed 1st degree murder and armed robbery for all three. It's both a curse and then a blessing that these thugs are such absolute complete idiots.

The cool thing is that apparently the dudes waiting in the car are being charged with the murder of their cohort. +1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links