Man shoots fox attached to wife

This is a discussion on Man shoots fox attached to wife within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fla. woman attacked by fox, then shot in the leg Fri Jul 25, 6:17 PM ET Authorities say a Levy County man accidentally shot his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man shoots fox attached to wife

Man shoots fox attached to wife

Fla. woman attacked by fox, then shot in the leg Fri Jul 25, 6:17 PM ET

Authorities say a Levy County man accidentally shot his wife while trying to hit a fox that had attacked her. The couple told deputies they had spotted an animal in their yard Friday morning and went outside to see what it was.

The fox bit the woman on the left leg and wouldn't let go, so she told her husband to get a gun.

The man fired a .22-caliber rifle seven times, killing the animal but also hitting his wife in the lower right leg.

The woman was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The dead fox will be tested for rabies, but authorities say the results won't be available until next week.
    They tested the husband for brain activity and found none
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

They tested the husband for brain activity and found none

If they find out it didn't have rabies I want to know how she got that close to it. There's a fox family in the woods near where I work and they won't come close enough to bite.

VIP Member
    On TV recently, I saw a video from a security cam where a fox (four-legged! ) just walked inside a bar. It may have even nipped at a few people, but I do remember it caused quite a stir among the patrons. Seems like the bouncer/owner chased it outside with a broom or something?

I think that animal behavior like that is disease-related. I'm not sure what was wrong with the husband though. Actually my wife would trust me (probably demand) for me to shoot the fox off of her leg. That does bring up a good point. When we were kids we were told that if a turtle bit us, he wouldn't let go until it thundered. That tale sure worked because we never got turtle bit. Now for a fox the thunder thing won't work. Other than shooting to remove the fox from the wifes leg what do you do? In desperation, you may club the fox off, but in doing so, wouldn't the momentum of removing him cause some serious flesh removal from part of the wife's leg?

I'm not promoting any particular ideas, it just made me think what does one do exactly. This is an urgent deal, and if I don't hurry and do something, the wife will be biting my leg. Although we live rural I don't see this being a daily occurrence around here.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Critter control?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The Fox was definitely out of character. Rabies for sure, perhaps something else.

The husband was definitely out of his realm of expertise.

Perhaps he should have walked up to the fox to shoot instead of shooting from the window of the house.

Stay armed...shoot up close...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

Talking

A Fox a Rabbi and a Priest walked into a bar...........

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    On TV recently, I saw a video from a security cam where a fox (four-legged! ) just walked inside a bar.
    Actually, I think "hubby" should have fetched a baseball bat as the first extermination method of choice. Just my personal opinion on that.
    Break his spine w/ a ball bat and he sure would let go of her leg.
    Much safer than shooting a critter attached to yer Wifes leg.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Can you imagine dinner that night in that household.

He will never ever hear the end of it!!!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    His defense....

She asked for it!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    LOL,

I think if we look, shooting the person being rescued is a lot more common than you'd think, especially if the person or the animal is moving around.

How solid was the hit? Just a graze or did it hit a bone?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Foxy Lady!!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually, I think "hubby" should have fetched a baseball bat as the first extermination method of choice. Just my personal opinion on that.
    Break his spine w/ a ball bat and he sure would let go of her leg.
    Much safer than shooting a critter attached to yer Wifes leg.
    I was wondering that, but you could also turn a bite into a shred... meaning with all that force you might cause him to just shred her leg....

I'm sure the situation was chaos. I'm not necessarily opposed to shooting the little guy, but I wouldn't do it unless I could managed to stick the thing behind the front leg, literally making contact with the and pointing well away from the gal's leg. Easier said than done, I'm sure.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I think I would have put both of my hands around its neck and choked it until it died or let go.

Talking

That sucks.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links