Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station

This is a discussion on Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Manager: Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News ...

Thread: Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station

FOXNews.com - Manager: Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Manager: Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station

Friday, July 25, 2008

The driver of a vehicle attempts unsuccessfully to run over police officers near Christian radio station WTLR in State College, Pa.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. A man who had threatened a Christian radio station was shot and killed by police Friday after he fired at officers with a rifle and tried to run them over with his sport utility vehicle, authorities said.

WTLR station manager Mark VanOuse said the station received a tip around 10 a.m. that someone armed with a shotgun was asking people for the address of the radio station and for money. Police got the same tip and went to the station, Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira said.

Officers intercepted the man as he arrived at the station, where he began shooting at police outside, ramming police cruisers and trying to run over officers on foot, witnesses said. After an exchange of gunfire, the suspect was shot dead in his white Ford Bronco, Madeira said. No one else was wounded.

Witnesses said they heard about 20 rounds of gunfire.

"At least twice he fired from the car," said Brad Shearer, who watched from his office window across the street. He said he saw the man try to run over police officers with their guns drawn.

During a second exchange of gunfire, the gunman's vehicle drifted into a building, Shearer said.

The man, who has not been identified, is believed to have had multiple weapons in the SUV, Madeira said.

VanOuse, who had taken his two employees to a secure room, said he only saw glimpses of what happened. The altercation lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, he said.

"He was moving fast," VanOuse said. "He was blowing right past police cars with officers who had their rifles drawn."

He said he did not know why the station was targeted.

"There is nothing leading up to this point that would have given us any indication of someone being upset with us," VanOuse said.

Madeira said state police are investigating and interviewing people who encountered the man earlier in the day.
    It will be interesting to hear the rest of this story...what led up to this.
    Domestic situation? Hate crime? Mental illness?
    More than one of the above?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Manager: Cops Shot Dead Man After Threat on Pa. Radio Station
    Is it just me, or is this headline a little out of sinc? When I first read the headline, I was trying to figure out why the cops would shoot a dead man.

After an exchange of gunfire, the suspect was shot dead in his white Ford Bronco, Madeira said. No one else was wounded.
    He must have been an O.J. fan.

Best part of this is that no one but the BG got hurt. Just no explanation for stupid.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Is it just me, or is this headline a little out of sinc? When I first read the headline, I was trying to figure out why the cops would shoot a dead man.
    No, it's not just you. It isn't the most clumsy headline I've ever seen, but it's bad.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

"He was moving fast," VanOuse said. "He was blowing right past police cars with officers who had their rifles drawn."
    I've got to see if I can find one of those holsters for my rifle!

Seriously, the people that called the police and radio station with the information should be commended, and also the police for their immediate response. If those two things hadn't taken place we would probably be reading a much sadder report. I wonder if anyone at the radio station had a defensive weapon with them?
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

We might have to ban "White Ford Broncos". There has been a rash of crime involving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    We might have to ban "White Ford Broncos". There has been a rash of crime involving them.
    ...It's for the children
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...It's for the children
    Not really, it's for ex-wives and courteous waiters...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Im with you Hoss very miss leading title down plays the open gun fire and attemtps to run down officers a little to much
    Never approach a Bull from the front , a Horse from the rear or a Fool from any direction!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Maybe it was a Zombie?????
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Maybe it was a Zombie?????
    Man, I never even thought about Zombies. Anyone up for a Zombie hunt?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsored Links