Bad: Family of 4 shot, left in burning home

This is a discussion on Bad: Family of 4 shot, left in burning home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family of 4 shot, left in burning home montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser The Associated Press BIRMINGHAM -- Sarah McFarland realized her two grandsons were dead ...

Family of 4 shot, left in burning home

montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser

The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM -- Sarah McFarland realized her two grandsons were dead even before a police officer told her no one got out of the burning house they shared with their mother and stepfather.

"When my grandchildren didn't run out to meet me ... I knew they were gone," she said.

Police searched for clues Friday in the killings of the family, who authorities said were shot to death and left in a house that was set ablaze early Thursday.

The victims were identified as Derrick Witherspoon, 37; Elizabeth McFarland Witherspoon, 34; Jerome McFarland, 13; and Justin McFarland, 11.

Once the flames were out, Derrick Witherspoon was found lying near the rear door. His wife and Justin were found together on the floor of one of the bedrooms, and Jerome was alone on the bathroom floor.

Investigators said Elizabeth Witherspoon and Justin were both shot multiple times.

Authorities said it appeared at least two guns were used.

"I guess it would be hard for anybody to believe somebody out there would be capable of committing that kind of atrocious, evil act," said Sgt. Cory Hardiman. "We're obviously dealing with somebody that's extremely dangerous. We're dealing with the worst kind of person."

Sarah McFarland said the couple met two years ago at a party and married in a lavish wedding in April. Derrick Witherspoon was unemployed when he died, but he was known for selling goodies to neighborhood children out of the garage.

Elizabeth Witherspoon worked on the janitorial staff at Lab Corp. and "loved to do hair," her mother said. The family had just returned Sunday from a vacation in Destin, Fla.

Firefighters found flames shooting from the home after being called at 1:35 a.m. Thursday. They fought the fire for 30 minutes and forced their way through the front door. Inside they found the couple and the children, Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis said.

The four were shot inside the house, and the house was torched to cover up evidence, police said.

The killings shocked the neighborhood.

"I see in my grandkids, they're fearful," said Margaret Osborne, who lives nearby. "If you're going to kill somebody, why would you kill the kids?"

VIP Member
    "I see in my grandkids, they're fearful," said Margaret Osborne, who lives nearby. "If you're going to kill somebody, why would you kill the kids?"
    Evil is alive and well in the world. Many wish to believe otherwise.

Obviously, a terrible tragedy, with so many possibilities as to why it happened. Until more information is available, I can't comment further.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Derrick Witherspoon was unemployed when he died, but he was known for selling goodies to neighborhood children out of the garage.
    I wonder what kinda "goodies" he was selling,whoever killed this family seemed to have a lot of anger and seems like homicide was the motive,I'd be looking at the X.Depending on goodies being sold if it was drugs that would open up a whole new set of problems
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    And sheeple call us paranoid for our vigilance, SA and carrying practices. No thanks. I'll take the name-calling and be a survivor. If ignorance is bliss, we have an extremely high number of happy sheeple grazing in our midst.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lgsracer View Post
    The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM --

"I guess it would be hard for anybody to believe somebody out there would be capable of committing that kind of atrocious, evil act," said Sgt. Cory Hardiman. "We're obviously dealing with somebody that's extremely dangerous......."
    Not hard for me to believe. There's a lot of criminals out there that care not for the lives of others.
    Said Sgt. Cory Hardiman, "We're obviously dealing with somebody that's extremely dangerous".
    Ya think?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Sarah McFarland said the couple met two years ago at a party and married in a lavish wedding in April. Derrick Witherspoon was unemployed when he died, but he was known for selling goodies to neighborhood children out of the garage.
    Or Derrick was going to be found out for some kinds of indecencies with children, and took out his new family and killed himself before he was outed....
    (Aside: I also wonder who paid for the wedding...)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Or Derrick was going to be found out for some kinds of indecencies with children, and took out his new family and killed himself before he was outed....
    (Aside: I also wonder who paid for the wedding...)
    You might be right,but if he was the killer they should find a gun close by if he offed himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    quick to jump to conclusions. I'll prefer to wait for more info. Hope people don't start saying I'm a molester or druggie just because a BG kills me and torches my house.

Remember the story a week or two ago where a group of thugs breaks into a house and then appologizes when they realized they had the wrong house. This guy could have been a saint and it's too early to tell from this news report.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wonder what kinda "goodies" he was selling,whoever killed this family seemed to have a lot of anger and seems like homicide was the motive,I'd be looking at the X.Depending on goodies being sold if it was drugs that would open up a whole new set of problems
    Drugs?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Drugs?
    Might be a jump but sometimes people will devise a lot of schemes to try to justify traffic and anybody selling "goodies" to kids raises a red flag in my mind,might be just a nice guy,but I've known a few drug dealers that never had a problem selling dope to anybody as long as they had the money.I lived in a lot of places and when kids needed goodies they went to a store not mr. friendly down the street.Also it could be a motive there are lots of people target drug dealers to rob due to the fact they ain't gonna report the robbery

Links